Blowout Nightmare: Defective Pouch or User Error?

Replies
Views
TerryLT

Last night was a horror I don't want to repeat. I woke up around 4:00 a.m. immediately becoming aware of smell and wetness. I was wearing a two-piece Hollister and the front piece had completely fallen off, resulting in a huge mess. Sheets and mattress cover are both toast, and I'm debating whether my mattress is even salvageable. The mattress cover is supposed to be waterproof, not so much. I have never had this happen and have found the two-piece Hollister to be really dependable. It gives me a really good seal, and only once I had a very small leak that I discovered before it was too late. I remember when I applied the front piece to the backing that it didn't 'click' like it always has done, but I checked and it seemed completely secure. I went through one night with it with no problem. This was the second night. Has anyone else experienced a faulty or defective pouch before? I can't figure out how it managed to come off like that, and now I'm feeling pretty nervous about using the product again. I will certainly make sure I hear the double 'click' when applying one again.

Hermit

In 6 years, I had 3 blowouts due to gas, not the bag! I never ate after 4 pm because of gas! I got to thinking, I should poke a couple of tooth holes in the top of the bag! It will not leak unless you sleep upside down! Now I can eat up to bedtime! Sweet! I usually get into some arguments while trying to help people!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,456 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

Use the Hollister belt for extra security.

looking forward

You gotta hear the snap

Past Member

Hey Abe, have you ever considered using a bag with a filter? It lets the gas escape (with no smell) and you don't have to poke any holes in it. If you want to go swimming, you just cover the filter with the little stickies they give you in the package. Just a thought.

As for the blowout (sounds like it was really bad), I don't use Hollister products, so I can't comment on that, but if you have always heard the click and didn't this time, you might have used a defective appliance. Hopefully, that won't happen again, but it sounds like if you don't hear the click, you should be wary.

Laurie

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
w30bob

Hi Del,

Mattress covers lose their waterproofing after being washed a few times. I use the cheap-o vinyl mattress covers because the crinkly noise doesn't bother me and I know it'll stay waterproof. In regards to the Hollister bag not seating properly.......we discussed this a month or two ago. Someone else on here had the same problem with their bag not being fully clicked into place. It also happened to me once a couple months back. Now I triple check it when I install it and check it every so often.......and haven't had any further problems.

Regards,

Bob

Past Member

Whatever we do, we all have a leak at times when sleeping. It's just one of those things unavoidable. Fingers crossed yours are few and far between as mine are.... I'm running on borrowed time. I haven't had a nighttime leak for years! New beds are asking for trouble. Bags just know it's new and go all out to do their worst! I always have filters on my bags but never really found filters to be of much use.

TerryLT

Thanks Abe, but I don't think mine was due to gas.   As for poking holes in the top of the bag, yikes!   Sounds pretty risky.   I second Laurie's suggestion that you try a pouch with a built-in filter.   That's all I use, and it works great, no embarrassing balloons to worry about!

TerryLT

Thanks Bob, good to know.   I will definitely make sure I hear the click from now on.   We'll see how this new cover works, different brand, and with luck maybe I won't have to wash it for a while.

TerryLT

LOL! If I have a leak, it is ALWAYS right after I have put clean sheets on the bed. Why is that?? I remember asking the ostomy nurse after my first nighttime leak whether I should just resign myself to it and get a plastic mattress cover. She said no, that leaks don't have to be a fact of life for ostomates. I think I agree with you, it's going to happen, so be prepared. Filters have worked quite well for me but do occasionally get gummed up.

kmedup

There is also a great product called Osteo-Vents which, with a little bit of adherence finesse, they work like a charm ;) K

TerryLT

That sounds like a really good idea, thanks. I've never worn mine at night but I think I may start.

collie123

Hello there,

I treat my bed as a potential battleground; plan for the worst and keep your fingers crossed.

I have various layers of bedding which protect the mattress.

I have a urostomy so this may be a little easier.

I have a mattress protector on the mattress itself.

Then large bath towels.

Then incontinence sheets (the blue large squares of mattress protectors that you get in hospital) that you simply chuck once soiled.

Then a cotton bed sheet.

It means that if there are any accidents - I can throw away the disposables and wash the sheets and towels but the mattress is safe and sound.

It is a pain..... it is laborious but when something happens I am always pleased that I am prepared and the pre-efforts really pay off.

It is a shock when a leak happens, demoralizing but it does become easier if you are prepared.

I hope this is of some help?

C

TerryLT

Thanks Collie,   it sounds very smart to be that prepared.   I got a new mattress protector that is supposed to be waterproof and this one actually feels like it might be, kind of a rubbery feel to the fabric.   I have been sleeping with a doubled up large towel under me for the last few nights since my blowout.   Part of my problem is that my output is very watery due to having to take large doses of laxative, so what comes out really soaks in.   Where do you get the large blue mattress protectors you use?   I know the ones you are talking about as they had them when I was in hospital too but I don't know where I would buy them?   Thanks for your good advice!

Terry

TerryLT

Hi, me again.   I noticed you are from London.   My husband and I spent a week there just about one year ago, then on to explore north to Grimsby and area, then south to Portsmouth and west to Devon and Cornwall, spending nearly a month in total in England.   It was a trip to explore our roots.   My grandmother was born in Torquay and the family was Cornish.   My husband's family are from Lincolnshire.   I also have family from Norfolk which we hoped to explore on our next trip.   Now I am just so happy we went on that trip when we did!   My emergency colostomy happened a few months after our return and then Covid happened!   I'm not sure about travel in the future now at all! We loved London and wanted to go back and spend at least another week.   I had not been there since I was 20/21 years old, eons ago.   We may just have to be happy with the memories of that last trip.   If so, I can live with that!   Sometimes timing is everything!    

collie123

1. Mattress protector: entire mattress

2. Washable bed protector/pad with tucks - pack of 2

4. Large bath towels

3. Medline Protection Plus Incontinence Disposable Bed Pads 58 x 91 cm pack of 25

Size: Pack of 1

4. Cotton bed sheet

All the above can be found on Amazon.

My philosophy....put as many layers that I can between me and the mattress.

Items to throw if they are soiled.

Items to wash and reuse.

It takes away the fear (well it does for me) and I feel in control and less dehumanized.

I make sure that there are plastic bags close by; disposable sheets get chucked. The other items go straight into the washing machine.

You will find a way.

I am still learning.

Chin up!

C

collie123

Oh yes.

I am a London girl.

You managed a grand tour in a month.

Do not rule out a further visit.

It is early days.

A vaccine will come within a few years; so plan for the future.

You take care of you.

C.

TerryLT

Thanks for all this, very helpful. I will definitely try to get some of those blue sheets. I am not giving up on the idea of future travel, just saying realistically, given my health and our ages (I'm 68 and my husband is 73) that if another epic trip like that is not in the cards for us, I will be OK with it. We had an amazing time. You take care.

Terry

dadnabbit

Terry, don't toss those sheets, towels or pads. OxiClean (spray or powder - I use both) is great for completely removing all stains and signs of a nighttime blowout. Speaking from (unfortunate) experiences. LOL. Good luck.

Peace.

Dadnabbit.

TerryLT

Hi Dadnabbit, Well it's too late for those sheets and mattress pad, must be in the landfill by now. They were so bad and both white of course. I mean we are talking volume here, not just stain, it was terrible! I balled everything up into a big garbage bag and into the garbage can. I know I won't be lucky enough to never have another nighttime blowout, but hopefully not one that bad. I will try the Oxiclean next time, thanks!

Cheers,

Terry

estrogen

We bought a new and expensive sectional. Sure enough, I fell asleep watching TV and woke up wet and warm. Major blowout. We had the upholstery cleaner come and clean the couch. Two months later, the same thing happened again! We had it cleaned again. Now, I put a cotton-backed vinyl tablecloth on the couch before I lay down on it. Why did the only two blowouts happen on my new couch?

collie123

Not sure what a sectional is... but I have a designated chair/couch.

There is a seat protector on my designated chair and on top of that a matching thick cotton bath hand towel. If I have an accident (that warm feeling for 2 seconds and then sheer panic), I whip out the towel, cover the offending area, and I am safe, and so is my couch.

C

TerryLT

Oh, that is terrible! It wouldn't have happened if you had fallen asleep on an old beater of a couch you didn't care about! Since my big blowout, I have not slept a night without something beneath me, first a towel, and now those blue pads that are waterproof on one side. Of course, I haven't had a blowout since!

Terry

TerryLT

Hi Collie,   A sectional is just a couch that runs in two directions and meets in the middle.

T

collie123

Aaaaahhhhh

I understand now.

I am an idiot!

You just know what we British are like.

Thank you for enlightening me: Dah.

Take care everyone.

C from the UK

TerryLT

You are not an idiot! We all have our different names for things. We Canadians have some strange names for things that I'm sure baffle the rest of the world. I've gotten pretty used to Brit speak as many of my favourite authors are British and I have a couple of good friends who are expats.

Cheers,

Terry