Struggling with Pancake-ing: Need Help!

Replies
Views
dogmum

It doesn't matter what product I use. I still pancake. I have tried Hollister Sensual.
I lubricate my bag in the hopes stuff will go down. Nothing works.

Daanders

I sometimes milk mine. I know that sounds weird (but that's what I call it)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,314 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Dogmum, I have a few suggestions. First, did you try irrigation? I know that was suggested to you in your previous forum post. I don't irrigate all the time, but if I have a busy day or evening planned, I irrigate the night before, and that gives me at least 36 hours with no output, usually more. There is lots of information on this if you look at Collections in the top right corner of this page, and also on YouTube. Second, I wear a two-piece appliance, and that gives me an opportunity to open it from the top and remove stool there. I have constant issues with pancaking, and I have found that is the best way for me to deal with it. I also take Imodium every day, so that keeps the stool solid. If it isn't solid, I have to empty from the bottom of the pouch and rinse the pouch with warm water. I would also check out Vegan Ostomy videos on YouTube - there are lots of informative videos, some on pancaking. Good luck.

Laurie

Penguins7

Dogmum,

Sorry to hear of your pancake issues as I have experienced my share as well. What works for me is baby oil in the pouch each time I empty it. Not sure which pouch you use but try covering the filter (if it has one) with a sticker so a small portion of air remains in the bag. I blow a bit of air in mine after each dump. If the pouch has no air, it will cause a vacuum suction effect and cause pancaking. I also wear a stoma guard which keeps the stoma from being squished and allows it to flow. Drink tons of water too, that will help the output to be less pasty. I hope this helps you out. Stay well. Penguins7

dogmum

What is irrigate?

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member

Dogmum, you should read your previous forum topic from about a year ago, called "Pancaking" in which irrigation was carefully explained to you. Good luck.

Laurie

Airio254

Yes, I'd like to know also.

Airio254

Drink lots of fluids. I usually drink 2 full 64 oz water bottles in a day. I find that when I don't drink enough fluids, I pancake also. I'll usually get some warm water and just squeeze it into my bag to give it a good cleaning.

Past Member

Airio, if you click on Collections in the top right corner of this page, then click on Premium Content in the drop-down menu, you will find lots of information about irrigation. Have a look at all of that, then if you have specific questions, feel free to ask them.

Laurie

Footie97

Dogmum

I had a difficult time with pancaking with my colostomy. It is a new issue for me because I had constant diarrhea before and after my colostomy. My GI guy told me to take stool softener pills twice daily (Colace) and I had to take Miralax every day to every other day to reduce thickness. It is the only time in my life that I purposely had to try to loosen up my stool... I miss my colostomy at times.

Good luck

Clint

dogmum

Thank you. I just started to do something I did months ago. It helps me again, and may help you. I put one piece of Kleenex at the bottom of my bag to open up the bag. This may help.  

Puppyluv56

I highly recommend irrigation if you have a colostomy! It will change your life. Check it out and talk to your stomas nurse. It is easy and gives you your life back!
pup

Homie With A Stomie NS

Try a cup of coffee, hun, and always drink loads of water.