Eliminating Unpleasant Odors: Effective Solutions

Replies
Views
VRaven9

What can be done about odors.

xnine

A lot of people use M9. Others are DIY and use Tic Tacs, peppermint oil, baking powder. Check premium content.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

VRaven9

M9 I have tried.   Smells like port-o-potty to me....

xnine

Are you taking your bag or bathroom?

Bryce

You might try Na'Scent. Pricey but odorless

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Puppyluv56

Nothing works as well as we would like it to, but all the above suggestions help to mask the odor. Some better than others. I tried so many things and was disgusted by all of it. The best thing that I did was make my own poop potpourri.

Just using scented oils, lemon grass, or cinnamon and rubbing alcohol. 80% alcohol. Just add a few drops, maybe six, eight, or more. That's up to your sense of smell as to how much you put in. Put it in a spray bottle. You can spray some down into the pouch. I would avoid the stoma. Or it is good to add to the toilet water prior to emptying or to the air in the bathroom. It is a very cheap version of the regular potpourri that you buy for eight and ten dollars for a little teeny tiny bottle. One little bottle of lemon grass or cinnamon oils at Walmart is five dollars, maybe, and then a bottle of alcohol. That fills up a spray bottle many times.

Hope you find what works best for you.

VRaven9

Bag!

VRaven9

Thanks so much!  I will try this as soon as I get to the store!!

VRaven9

How much oil to alcohol?

Puppyluv56

Depends on how big your spray bottle is. If it is small like the potpourri spray bottles, maybe only 5 or 6 drops. If it is bigger, the size of the M9 bottle that I use, I put 10 or 12. Start with 5 or 6. If it is not strong enough, add more and shake it up. Spray around you. The strength is a personal preference but of course with our odor, a little more scent is better! 

mild_mannered_super_hero

Have you ever considered irrigation? I see you are a cancer survivor, most qualify for irrigation. If your bag is empty, there is no odor to control. Regards MMsh

VRaven9

What is irrigation? Does it require surgery?

VRaven9

Thanks so much! 

mild_mannered_super_hero

Irrigation is a process where you empty the colon, normally every 36 hours. You then have no output till you irrigate again. It eliminates leaks, odor, and 90% of gas. To qualify, you need to have some descending colon left and it must be healthy. Most cancer survivors qualify. Most folks who irrigate don't wear a bag but rather a cap or "patch". Irrigation will not work with an ileo. I hope you will consider it; it will give you back a near-normal lifestyle.  

lovely

I use lavender-scented baby oil. It helps the odor and also helps the output slide down in the bag. Good luck and stay safe.

Puppyluv56

Raven,

I agree with MMSH. Irrigation is the way to go if you have colostomy. I irrigate so I do not have output in between irrigation days. It eliminates all of the odor issues! No embarrassing odor while you are out.
Would be glad to talk more about it if you want.
Puppyluv

VRaven9

Yes, please.   Not sure if I am a candidate... But it sounds so much more doable.

Puppyluv56

Hey, I will send you a private message and we can talk about irrigation! If you are not a full member, you can respond to a message.  
Pup

Past Member

I would avoid anything not edible! I drop a peppermint dietary supplement gel cap (gels are oil inside) in my bag.

*Jackkau

I find that before I drain, I tear off a few toilet paper tissues, spray them with some Clorox Scentiva, drain, re-cap, then wipe the cap with the sprayed toilet paper.

Past Member

Cool! Whatever works! 
I'm super sensitive, so I stay away from most substances that aren't natural.

Mabsie Moll

Regarding odour... I have found when I eat only plant-based foods, no animal products, it leaves little to no odour. But eat meat, dairy, fish etc and it becomes phewwwwweee-ewwweeee-eww!! For that reason, I have cut way back on animal foods, and chew chew chew!.

Ye seem to have access to a lot more extras there in North America than here in Ireland!

Hope it works for you if you give it a go!