Healthy smoothie recipes for getting essential nutrients post-ileostomy?

Replies
Views
Tremarly1

Well, good evening all, here I am again with something to ask. I have had my ileostomy for 1 year now and have been lucky to have no issues as far as foods. I have not tried peanuts, corn, or popcorn yet, and I "dabble" with fresh/raw fruits and veggies. I have even had 2 very small salads, though I practically diced and minced everything. But, I am still so overcautious and almost paranoid of any fruits and veggies because of what nurses have told me, as well as what I have read. My surgeon said I can eat anything with no problem, but...

So, my question is, and I apologize for being long-winded here...

Does anybody have any good, healthy smoothie recipes that can be done at home? I find them online, but it seems they are for different reasons, i.e., weight loss, detox, natural energy. I am just looking for something that will provide the vitamins and all that jazz that we miss out on from fruits and veggies... I used to love picking up a Honeycrisp apple and eating it, now I pass them by... as well as everything else in the produce aisle unless I cook it down to almost nothing. (Preemptively bought a Nutri Ninja Pro 1100 watt thinking smoothies would be easy LOL) Thanks in advance, all.

Sincerely, Trevor

Cplumber

If you buy a NutriBullet (smoothie blender) or a Ninja blender, they usually come with recipe books, or go to their website and get the recipes for free.

Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,466 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Lily17

Good evening, Trevor.

I'm an ileostomate of just over 3 years. When it came to my post-operative diet, my surgeon told me in the hospital, "Sip, sip, sip water all day long (to stay hydrated) and chew, chew, chew solid foods until it's almost like paste (to prevent blockages)." There was nothing off-limits, as far as he was concerned. (Having lunch with family, friends is an issue: with so much chewing, everyone typically waits on me to finish. Usually, I take home leftovers that I had no time to eat. I feel like I'm holding them up, but I can't change my circumstances, and I'm mindful of their time.)

During one of my earlier ostomy wound care visits, I mentioned to the WOCN how I missed popcorn sometimes. He asked why I thought I couldn't have it. I said, 'I haven't had any popcorn since my Ulcerative Colitis diagnosis." He said, "Well, you don't have UC, NOW, do you?" His question shook up my thinking: I USED to have UC - and a colon - now I don't.

So, I don't restrict my diet, and love eating salads, fresh fruit - including unpeeled apples - nuts and whole grains - including popcorn and granola! - again. However, I chew thoroughly and do my best to drink plenty of liquid with my food. With all fruits and veggies, the more I chew, the finer the particles, the more nutrients my body can extract, absorb. One thing I try to avoid: eating peanut butter either from the spoon or on a sandwich - it's too sticky, causing me blockages.

Another long-time ileostomate friend of mine says she can't have too much fiber in her diet, or she will have a breach between her appliance and her skin. (She's going to see a WOCN ASAP to see if she needs to modify her choice in appliance and/or how it is affixed to her abdomen. I'm curious to hear if her presumption that high fiber intake is truly the problem is correct, or just part of the issue.)

So, maybe not every ileostomate can eat everything. If you are worried about increasing your fiber intake, do so gradually, and pay close attention to how your body responds: the body doesn't lie!

I do try to mind my surgeon's warnings though about hydration and blockages, however. I had my first blockage 16 months after my surgery, and with the radiating pain in my torso, and never having had a blockage before, I thought a heart attack possible. Off to the ER I went via ambulance; spent 7 hours there while all tests, exams came up negative. The painful blockage finally passed, but I was only a little embarrassed; after all, pro- and semi-pro basketball players in much better physical condition have suffered fatal heart attacks on the court while playing. I've had more since, and they are painful, worrying reminders that I need to "chew, chew, chew" and especially "sip, sip, sip" A LOT while eating.

With no colon, I've found that much of what I eat drink makes the transit to my ostomy bag very quickly, and my small intestine doesn't absorb as much water from what I consume as readily as my colon did. I don't expect that will change, since the colon's main function is (was) to absorb water.

Since my small intestine has that difficulty absorbing water, I try to help keep my liver, kidneys, bladder, etc., healthier by drinking about 12 oz. of water right before I climb into bed at night. While lying down, gravity is less of an issue, and my remaining GI tract has more time to absorb the water, hydrating my body, helping to remove toxins from my tissues. I'm well-hydrated in the morning - skin is nice and plump - but it's amazing how quickly my tissues lose fluid. My fingers and the fragile skin on the back of my hands are much more wrinkled within an hour of waking. (Living in a high desert climate with very low relative humidity doesn't help.)

I have always enjoyed fruit smoothies, but one of my favorite pre-prepped "smoothies" is a can of regular V8 juice. (I never could stand the blandness of reduced-sodium V8.) Water, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and salt. I've noticed skin problems since my surgery, and these issues abate a great deal when I sip an 8 oz. can of V8 juice, regularly. I chalk it up to the easily-absorbed vitamins, minerals, salt. And, a dietician who addressed my ostomy support group made a point of saying that ileostomates need more salt in their diet to help increase thirst and, therefore, fluid intake, and also to assist the body's tissues retain fluids/reduce dehydration. (NOTE: Not every person - ileostomate or not - is able to increase their salt intake due to various health conditions. Consult your physician.)

As for making your own smoothies, whatever you put into them, that's what your body will receive. Take a recipe - no matter for what goal it is labeled - and add or subtract what you want to make it your own. Use healthy, flavorful, nutrient-dense ingredients. Be adventurous, experiment - and remember to pay attention to how your body responds to what you provide.

Well, Trevor, as you may already have presumed, I'm "long-winded", also. However, I hope some of what I've written can help you or another member.

Be well.

Lily17

Bill

Hello Trevor.

My approach to smoothies is to put in those ingredients that I know I like. This way I cater for the psychological side of eating/drinking at the same time as knowing that I will not be surprised by the taste of things I would not normally eat. If you think about it, nearly all 'recipes' are what someone has believed to be to 'their-taste'. Why not simply rely on your own taste and go for it!

I also like and endorse everything Lily has said in her post.

Best wishes

Bill

ron in mich

Hi Trevor here, here's my recipe. First, a banana, spritz of cinnamon, applesauce, serving of yogurt with fruit, lactose-free milk, and some ice cubes. I also do green smoothies in summer with fresh veggies from the farmers' markets, with lettuce, spinach, kale, tomato, cucumber, water, and ice cubes.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
OU812

Hi Trevor,

I don't make smoothies, but when I feel like having vegetables, I just microwave a tub of the Gerber "2nd Stage" veggies (pureed carrots, green beans, peas) for 25 seconds. They're pretty tasty and no chewing needed.

Past Member

I asked about this recently too!

Here's one of my favorites:

1/2 frozen banana (broken in chunks)

Peanut butter (or a scoop of PB fit)

Chocolate protein powder

Milk of choice (cow, almond, and oat are favorites) to get good consistency

You can also add ice.

I also like:

1/4 avocado

Handful of spinach

Frozen cauliflower

Frozen strawberries

Ice (optional)

Milk of choice (oat works well here! Although the others are fine too)

Past Member

If cauliflower doesn't work for you, it's pretty tasty without it too! 

Bluesky

I haven't made smoothies since my surgery either. But my son makes really great ones whenever I visit. He uses a variety of whatever he's in the mood for, including some plain or vanilla yogurt or almond milk, frozen berries, frozen kale, banana, peanut butter (or peanut butter powder which is a great thing). Sometimes he adds some oatmeal, which would definitely give you some fiber and thicken up your smoothie as well. You don't have to use the peanut butter powder or peanut butter, but it definitely would give you more protein that way. Really, you could use any kind of fruit you wanted, since it's getting blended up anyway. The flavor is really good with the bananas and PB too. I know some people buy that protein powder, but to me it's just an extra expense. If you buy healthy yogurt it has a good amount of protein, plus the PB does as well. Personal choice I guess. I may try making a smoothie one of these weekends! I hope this helps.

sunasea

I'm a smoothie junkie. I have to admit I don't make them to taste good but for health reasons. People have suggested a Nutribullet on here, I say no way. I have a 2-hp Blendtec, in fact I have two of them one for home and one I keep at my sister's for when I visit in the summer.

Blendtec has 1000 recipes on their website. Their machines have an 8-year warranty. They are not cheap but neither is your life.

I throw all kinds of stuff in my smoothies. My brother has what you have and I have an ostomy and you need a smoothie more than I do because your body can't absorb nutrition like me.

If you wanna talk more let me know, ok.

Take care, my friend.