Food tips for post-colostomy diet?

Replies
Views
jocelyn.alger

My operation was for rectal cancer in August 2020 and I now have a colostomy. I am finding that there are more food types I can now manage with no ill effects than in the early days, however, I was wondering if anyone had any specific tips they could share? For instance, I would love to make some fried rice - would that be okay?

charleston_sunny

Hi Jocelyn,

I have colorectal cancer and can eat anything with my colostomy. I just transitioned to plant-based whole foods in Nov and still good.

Best,

Shannon

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

Hey Jocelyn,

You should be able to eat anything you did before. Try each new food eating small amounts to see how that goes and chew your food really well. Rice should not be any problem.
Everyone is different and there may be some foods your ostomy will not appreciate as well as your colon did! I seem to not be able to tolerate milk products whereas I never had any issues beforehand. Most foods will do fine and you will see quickly which ones won't. They will give you diarrhea so I tend to stay away from those things!

Eat up and enjoy!
Puppyluv

HenryM

I'm 100% with Puppyluv on this.  Perhaps someone who knows more than me can comment upon whether there's a difference b/t colostomy vs ileostomy on this issue.  I have the latter, and there are few things I have to avoid.  My diet includes fried rice, popcorn, corn on the cob, spicy foods, veggies.  As with Puppyluv, milk products get me; pours thru me like water thru mesh.  (I avoid milk products the day prior to changing my appliance.)  That doesn't mean that i avoid it entirely, as I love ice cream and i eat cereal with milk.  Just be ready to wear a path back and forth to the potty.  I avoid pulpy stuff like melon.  I chew my food well.  I drink lots of water.  And, as Puppyluv suggests, when you try something new, don't overdo 'til you see how it goes.

Past Member

Eat whatever you want, just try a small portion as first to see how it goes. Even if you think it's caused a problem, always try something at least 3 times before giving up on it. Adhesions get a lot of the blame for foods that cause blockages.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Franjo

I had a colostomy following rectal cancer in 2019. Although I'm British, I live in Nigeria. Fried rice is a popular dish here, and I eat it all the time, and I have never had any problems with it. In fact, I haven't changed my diet at all since my surgery!

bryancohnracing

Hi Jocelyn,

The key is to experiment in small quantities, keep a food diary (I suck at this but I try) and know that your body will change and adapt over time. Food you can't eat today you'll be able to in a year. Food you can eat now you'll be so sick of you never want to see it again.....

The key is disconnecting pleasure from eating. Our western diet, our western society attaches far too much pleasure to eating and that is why it's so hard to give up certain foods. I've struggled with this like everyone but give yourself time. Don't make yourself sick for the temporary "high" of a food you love. My toughest food breakup was Italian food, specifically red and white sauces. I can tolerate the small amount on pizza if it's a small amount. It's just not worth being sick for hours for the short-term "Yum" factor I get from a nice bowl of fettuccine alfredo or penne and marinara. Damn, I'm hungry now.........

Past Member
Reply to HenryM

How long have you had your ileostomy? It's great to hear you can eat a varied diet. . . . I'm a newbie, and still finding my way. :-)