Oversized Ostomy Bag: Airline Bathroom Solutions?

Replies
Views
knobby

Hi,

I expect to travel for my work soon, from California to Europe, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Guam, Japan, and South Korea.

I will fill up a regular bag on those long flights and can't see how I and my helper can fit into an airline bathroom without making a mess.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rod

w30bob

Hi Rod,

Contact the airlines and explain your condition. I think you'll find they try to be more than accommodating........or at least they used to.

Regards,

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,461 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

knobby

Thank you, Bob. I was discussing this with my travel agent and he said all wide-body commercial aircraft that fly into the USA must have at least 1 "accessible" toilet. So, I guess it depends on the meaning of accessible.

Ritz

Knobby,

I fly often, but my trips of late with my bag have typically been no more than a 6-7 hour flight. I do call the airlines and TSA because I go through security not only with my meds but also with my stomach powder, aerosol can of remover, scissors, my own 6-pack of water (open because I add extra electrolytes to my water), and my own food from home. I get through security as my ticket is tagged. The stewardess is informed of my condition, and I'm able to use the bigger (not by much) first-class bathroom. Even if we have turbulence, I am permitted to get up and use it. I kneel down on my own paper mat that I bring to ease the burden to empty.

I suggest contacting TSA and your airline to flag your ticket. Have a great time on your trip! Exciting! Ritz

(I'm flying next month again!)

knobby

Ritz,

That is great info. I'm gonna pass it along to my travel agent and the supplies you bring I'll share with my wife.

Thank you,

Rod

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
charleston_sunny

Rod,

Do you have a colostomy or ileostomy? If you have a colostomy, your answer is irrigation. I can go long periods, up to 24 hours, without output. It's easy peasy flying then!

Shannon

knobby

Shannon,

I too can go that long - however, I never know when that will be. Some days it's several times a day, and other days you wonder if you're constipated.

I have a colostomy.

Thanks,

Rod

Maried

The helper is another person that helps you with your bathroom needs? Maybe find the dimensions of the bathrooms that you have access to on the airline. To see if both of you can fit. But get as close as possible to the toilet and use an extra large/long bags... This decreases splashes and empty more often.

knobby

Hi Maried,

Not sure why I used the word "helper." My wife is my helper, but has said she's not going on those long trips. If she doesn't go (and she does everything for me) then I may have to find a helper.

Thank you,

Rod

Ritz

I read some other comments. I have an ileostomy which requires emptying every 2 hours if not sooner. All depends. Ritz

knobby

OMG, I'd hate that. Sometimes I empty and before I leave the bathroom, I get just enough to say "Ok, empty now." That happens once in a while, but it also happened where I went, finished and went again and then a third time. But typically I may go 2 or 3 times a day and sometimes not for 24 or more hours. Like you wrote, "It all depends."

Rod

Ritz

LOL... I got used to it, I'm just happy to be strong and alive. I'm healthier now than I've ever been, at least I don't fart!!!

Have a great trip... the bathroom in the plane will work out just fine, Ritz nbsp

w30bob

Hi Rod,

I think what they're saying is that by irrigating, you'll be gaining some consistency in when you have output. I'm not in that camp, but I thought that was the whole point of irrigating. You basically flush your bowels to restart the clock, so to speak, so you have a good idea of when the window closes. I'm sure the irrigators will chime in if I'm off the mark or simply don't understand the concept. I'll be quiet now.........

;0)

Bob

charleston_sunny

Spot on, Bob! Rob, a lot of us irrigators can go 24 hours or more without output. I irrigate every morning and have lots of success with it. If you don't irrigate, you should look into it. It's a game changer!

Maried

If you decide to irrigate, be careful of the water. If you cannot drink the water straight from the faucet, do not use it for irrigation. Use bottled water. I irrigated for 10 years, and when I traveled to a new time zone, irrigation did not work for me.

Maybe others had success in setting up an irrigation bottle/hose and the sleeve (are these the same items used) and needing a chair in a hotel room was hard!!! The total process took 45 minutes to an hour, so after I had children, I stopped.

I now just regulate the poop by eating small meals; if I am working outside my home or traveling.

Did you just consider putting on a new bag when the old one is filled while traveling on the plane? Since you have a colostomy, it usually stops soon after eating.

knobby

Hi again Maried,

Thanks for all the tips. nbsp

I have not noticed any relationship between when I eat and when I poop. I hear you about carrying bottled water and will do that.

You and one other member used the word "irrigation," what does that mean in relationship to an ostomy bag?

Thanks,
Rod

lovely

There are some good videos online that show how to irrigate. I have not tried it, but from what I read, it takes time to train the bowels. I am sure others can tell you more. Best wishes and stay safe.

knobby

Thank you, Lovely - I'll look into that.

Maried

Please speak with an ostomy nurse about irrigation. He or she will help guide you through the process. But as Lovely said, check the internet or this site for details on the process. The process cleans out your bowels for at least 24 hours, so you have no or little bowel movement. It is an enema going through your stoma opening.

knobby

Thank you, Maried. I wasn't clear before. But now I understand what it does.

Thanks again,

Rod

Puppyluv56

Irrigation is certainly a game changer. I irrigate every other day and most times have no output in between. I use a two-piece Convatec closed pouch system, so if I do have output, I can just pop the pouch off into a black baggie I buy on Amazon and throw it in the trash. It takes just a second to pop off, wipe up a little, and pop a new one back on.

Certainly look at the process on YouTube. You are training your colon to empty at a specific time. It is not tough, but certainly check with your ostomy nurse. Sometimes they like to help you the first time.

Good luck,

Puppyluv

knobby

Thank you Puppyluv56 - seems like that's what a lot of ostomy wearers use.

Take care,

Rod

Puppyluv56

Yes, Rod,

Those with colostomies only. It takes a while in the morning but takes all the work out of it for the remainder of the time between irrigation days. It takes all the worry out of it as well. nbsp
Pup