Seeking advice on ostomy bag odor control

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses effective methods for managing and controlling odor from ostomy bags.
looking forward

What do you people put inside your bag to stop odor? I used the drop from the ostomy store but it does nothing. Thank you for your help.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM

I quit paying money for expensive ostomy odor control remedies long ago in favor of simply dipping a bit of baking soda into the pouch each time I empty.  It's the same familiar yellow box that people open and put into their refrigerators to absorb odors.  It works fine for me, as I rarely detect any odor. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
looking forward

Ty, I will try that.

iMacG5

Hi LF.  I think Hollister M9 Odor Eliminator Drops work well but might require more than the few drops recommended on the container.  Used together with Hollister Adapt Lubricating Deodorant seems terrific.  You might need some experimenting with how much of each is needed but, if affordable, it's probably worth it.  If not, I'd go with Henry's Baking soda.

Let us know how you make out.

Mike

Maried

I also use M9. It is covered with my insurance. Without insurance, it is $20.00 for 8oz. When I did not have insurance, I used Securi-T Ostomy Deodorant. It is $6.35 for 8oz on VitalityMedical.com. Both do a great job covering colostomy smell! I noticed there is ostomy deodorant advertised on this website, Na Scent, for $9.95 for 8oz. I have never used it, but the price is reasonable.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Rcote0621

How much baking soda do you put in there? I spend a small fortune on M9 odor eliminator. I am VERY self-conscious of odor. I have a colostomy. My friend has an ileostomy and has never had to worry about odor. Thank you.

Rcote0621

I pay $20 per bottle for M9 Odor. My insurance will only cover three bottles every 90 days. I usually go through a bottle every two weeks. It's so expensive but worth my peace of mind.

Maried

Securi-T Ostomy Deodorant 6.35 for 8oz

If the baking soda does not work well, try the above. It works just as well as the M9, which is overpriced.

looking forward

The stuff you put into the toilet is the best. It comes in a small spray bottle. You can buy it anywhere. I think it is called Poo Pourri or something like that. There is really nothing you can put into the bag that helps. I have tried it all. Get yourself some of this spray and I spray it after I empty. Works great.

Homie With A Stomie NS

I rinse mine everyday with a squeeze bottle....water, water, and a tad of baby oil. Shake, dump, fill with 1/2 bottle, slush it around, dump and flush, slush the last 1/2 of the bottle, wipe lip, and now it smells just like a well-oiled baby.