Best ostomy support belt recommendations?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
Looking for recommendations on the best ostomy support belts - share your experiences and suggestions here.
w30bob

Hi gang,

So while I was looking at Cavilon products on Amazon the other day, I started looking at ostomy support belts. I was looking because I wanted something that would completely surround my barrier's hole and apply even pressure all around so I could completely remove the bandage portion of the barrier and just let the ring and support belt hold everything in place. While looking, I noticed there's quite a wide variety of support belts available. I needed one with a 3" hole, so that cut down the candidates a bit, but there were still quite a few. So I ordered two of the cheap ones, made in China of course.......do we make ANYTHING in the US anymore? Probably not........I just hope they go easy on us if we ever go to war with them. Anyway, I digress. So both the belts came and fit well. The one thing I'm glad they do is completely hide the outline of my bag under my t-shirt. By pulling in my waist just a tad, the bag is no longer visible when I move, like it was before. Now these belts are like 4" wide, and you know you're wearing them........so I'm going to look and see if I can find one that's just a touch more soft or form-fitting...or whatever you want to call it. These two I believe are really for supporting a hernia, so are overkill for what I need........but I'm going to wear one all day today (it's really hot and humid out) to see how I like it.

What I'm wondering is if any of you have found that perfect support belt? With the bewildering array of ostomy products out there.....with what seems like more coming every day.......I'm looking for some suggestions on which to avoid and which you find work best. Anything to help eliminate some belts so I don't have to order and return them just to see what they're really like. I never trust reviews on Amazon, except for the bad ones. But I trust you guys.......so if you have any experience with ostomy support belts...........fire away!

Thanks,

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM

Bob:  I pondered support belts for months, not sure even whether or not I wanted or needed one.  I finally bought one from Saft N Simple, a hernia support belt, 'cause I wanted the support when I was active, like for walking, jogging on treadmill, or working out with weights.  Those are the only times that I wear it and the added support is just what I was looking for.  Normally, I wear no belt at all.  Anyway, here's the place to check it out:  https://sns-medical.com/products/support-belts/

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Ritz

Bob... I was fitted for a support belt for the hernia on the opposite side of my stoma. I found it always moved on me, perhaps my hips were in the way, and here in Arizona it made me so hot that I got a rash. I choose not to wear a belt and instead wear a looser dress or blouse. It one time squished my stoma, but by the time I saw it, I was bleeding and freaking out. I hope they work for you. When I rash up, I put on the pink cream or powder for a fungus rash - lie down with an empty toilet paper tube stuffed with gauze over the stoma for an hour. I gently clean off the pink medicine and my rash is gone.
Be comfortable and safe within your skin, Ritz

Deziner

Hi Bob....Again. I wore a convex appliance using a belt always. Had to because my bag was heavy and would have pulled away.
When/if I have another ostomy surgery, I'll ask for a stoma in a certain place so that the belt is level with the appliance. When I had the standard ileostomy, my stoma was below where my waste. The belt pulled the appliance upward that I believe caused many of my leaks.
Is your belt level with belt hooks on your appliance? If not, you might try adjusting the belt so it doesn't pull up possibly causing the appliance to lift off. If this may be an issue, you may consider a second belt to wear below your appliance making it evenly pulled and avoiding leaks with your appliance being pulled upwards.
You've gone through much, Bob. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Do you use a convex one?

bryancohnracing

Bob, I've been using a Nu-Hope support belt for about 3 1/2 years with excellent results. Also, with the belt, I wear an Ostomy Secrets support wrap to hold the bag. Under the bag, I wear an Ostomy Armor Waste Wick. This simple thing has saved my sorry arse more times than I can count; it absorbs leaks like nothing else. This combo has allowed me to return to as normal a life as possible.

BTW, I'm still having success using athlete's foot spray when my skin gets red and irritated. Since starting to use it, I've not had open, weeping red skin, knock on my wooden head!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
iMacG5

Hey Bob,  I'm probably repeating myself but I'll suggest the hernia belt from NU HOPE (800-899-5017).  You might be able to improvise so it does exactly what you want.  Also, I need to mention the tee shirt pockets again.

Looking forward to your successes.

Mike

MLiljenquist

I started with a Stealth Belt, and then a bunch of other belts. I want hernia support for lifting/moving and to cover my bags. When the belts are elastic around the ring, they distort.

I make my own now and also make my own shields. I got tired of dealing with the Velcro with the stoma guard. I use my shield with Ostomy Secrets wraps, Stealth Belt, and my own belts.

I can send you some pictures of what I make. I'm not a professional seamstress.

Roseviolet
Reply to Ritz

Hi Ritz,

What's the name of the pink medicine you use for rashes? Thank you!! -- Rose