Seeking Free Samples of Ostomy Bags

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Dlynn

Hi, I am new to the ostomy world. Three weeks out. I'm currently using the Hollister bag but would love to try different options. So I'm looking to find out where I would get free samples of different types so that I know what I like more going forward.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

They each have websites. Coloplast, Convatec, Hollister, Salts is British so maybe not, Marlin. Those are all I can think of.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello Dlynn. 

I would say try them all! They will send samples if you ask, but when I first started, I went to a couple of stoma get togethers, where most of the manufacturers had stands and where giving out samples. This was a great way to meet people to ask questions of and to come away with a carrier bag full of 'goodies'.

Best wishes

Bill

TerryLT

You can order free samples through the websites of all the ostomy manufacturers, or at least I think you can. You might have to call some, but they would have a 1-800 number. They are all pretty happy to send out samples as they want your future business!

Terry

PghQueen

https://www.convatec.com/forms/request-samples-global/?campaign=intimacylandingpage#

Free sample page for Convatec

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Ok, it has been 3 1/2 months since my Hartman's procedure for perforated diverticulitis. I had emergency surgery, so I was not expecting a colostomy bag attached to my stomach. Because I did not have enough vascular supply, I did not get a rosebud; it just looks like a baby anus. It is flush with my skin, and everyone who has seen it says it will be hard to maintain. I have been given Hollister, ConvaTec, and now am trying Coloplast. I really like Coloplast the best. The material layer on the outside is really nice and not plastic feeling with a crinkle sound. I am using the convex 2-piece click. I cut the hole a tad bigger than take a ring or at least 1/2 of one, roll it into a fat string, and run it around the opening. It still leaks underneath but has stopped at the ring mostly. I am not having to change 2-3 times a day, which I had to do with both ConvaTec and Hollister. I was given more bags than barriers, so instead of trying to clean it, I bag it and toss it. I have seen the closed pouches and wondered if they are supposed to be used then bagged. It sure would make it simpler, especially when going or doing something and don't want to empty all the time. Gonna ask my nurse about that part. Sure took down my stress level thinking of toss n go.

Linda

Dlynn
Reply to Anonymous

Thank you for your information. I am currently using the Hollister bag. I don't have any issues with leaks at this time. I did order some free samples from Coloplast and another type. Mine is a one-piece unit. I did try a Coloplast bag in the hospital and I did like that it didn't hang so far down.
I am still home recovering and I am wondering how to dress going forward. I have always worn the low-rise pants and shorts. So a little concerned about how I will dress.
Deanna

Past Member
Reply to Dlynn

I am in the same boat of not knowing what to wear when leaving to shop or whatever. At home, it is easy. I live in a senior community of 25 units, mostly female, so wearing my kaftans and cute lounge pajamas is easy. My sister (twin) gave me a couple of tunic tops. My capris are wasted right at the stoma site, so I pull the front down under the stoma. Not a comfortable solution. I have wondered if they have maternity pants in plus size. I have no clue as to what to wear. If you find any helpful sites, please let me know. Now, for low rise pants, some people use ostomy covers. Not sure how much better that would look.