Help with Concealing Stoma Protrusion on a Budget

Replies
Views
riffael

I've been looking at wraps and belts online. Damn, they're expensive! The belts more than the wraps.
My stoma protrudes 0.6 inches, and more with the bag, especially when it has the least bit of gas. I feel the protrusion is semi-obvious. That's what I'd like to minimize.
I'm a jeans and T-shirt type of wench, and I don't wear tight clothes. I'm not normally at all vain; hell, I refuse to wear ten pounds of falsies after my double mastectomy, and I wear a cap instead of a wig for my chemo baldness, same as last time in '96. I'm 61.
But I've only had this thing for four months, and I'm feeling a bit self-conscious.
Many of the offerings are designed for the bag to be worn horizontally. My output is usually a slurry. The level would be up to the edge of my flange in no time compared to a vertical position.
Also, how is the stoma supposed to produce output if it's constricted? That's my real question. Especially if the goods were more solid?
Thanks, I really appreciate your support for a newbie!
Riffael

Ritz

Riff.... My stoma is a prolapsed one. It sticks out quite a bit. I cannot wear jeans due to it squishing it and the waistband is right at my stoma. I either make my loose pants or buy maternity type jeans so my poop can flow. I'm a high output ileostomy. If not maternity ones, I wear dresses all the time even with my hiking boots. It's a burden I bear. I suck it up and am thankful I'm alive.
Good luck, I hope this helps...

Ps... No one notices my bulge... Ritz

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,450 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

riffael
Reply to Ritz

Hi, Ritz-

Dresses are a hard no. I was forced to wear them for 18 years by a religious cult. That never happened again, except for that one time my brother asked me to for his wedding.

My jeans ride just below my stoma, but I fear they will block off the flow. That's my actual question: Will all these constrictors (wraps, belts) block off my colostomy output, and how would the horizontal position affect that?

Maried

Wear light control high-waisted underpants one size larger. This allows your bag to flow and kinda hold it down. And if there are leaks, it usually stays in your underwear until you can get to a bathroom. I buy my jeans and work pants one size larger so the bag can grow and be less likely to leak from the sides. You can also use an inexpensive woman's tube top to hold down your bag too. Make sure the items you buy have a little spandex in them.

Bill

Hello riffael.

I have experimented with many hernia belts and found that there are none that will stop the output when it wants to come!

However, in you second response to Ritz, you mention that you have a colostomy. This immediately makes me think that you ought to be considering whether you could/should irrigate. 

Irrigation would resolve the output problems during the day and allow you to wear what you like without any/many adverse side-effects. Those of us who irrigate have found that it has changed our lives so much for the better, that if you are suitable for irrigation, I would strongly recommend it.

In the 'COLLECTIONS-Premium Content' at the top of the page, there is a whole section devoted to irrigation and there are some informative videos on YouTube if you want a more graphic explanation. 

Best wishes

Bill 

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Caz67

Hi

Bill has given you a great way around the problem if you can do it, that is? When you wear your trousers, could you be able to have the bag on the outside with a loose fit long top. I've done this many times and no one has said anything XX

xnine

I wear a tummy sleeve. You can get them at maternity shops.

lovely

I wear elastic waist pants and have my bag hang between my pants and underwear. I wear a long blouse on the outside and you can't see the shape of the appliance. Best wishes

TerryLT

Hi Rif, if your pants or jeans ride above your stoma, you don't need to worry about your output being constricted. I buy high-waisted underwear with some spandex that makes my tummy pretty flat when I want to wear something more form-fitting, and it doesn't constrict output, even though you might think it would. Having said that, it's usually when going out and wanting to dress up a bit. As soon as I'm home, the high-waisted underwear comes off and the comfortable cotton ones go on with my looser, more comfortable clothes. This high-waisted spandex underwear is not expensive, you can even find them at Walmart. I have found that wearing my pouch horizontally makes it very difficult to empty, so it's vertical for me. Most of my tops are long enough to cover my pouch and loose enough that it really isn't noticeable.

Terry

riffael
Reply to TerryLT

???

TerryLT
Reply to riffael

Sorry, not sure what isn't clear in my post?

riffael
Reply to TerryLT

Hi, delgrl-
My "???" was in response to your initial unedited post, which said "nn."
Appreciate your edited reply, nothing unclear about that!

TerryLT
Reply to riffael

Sorry, something glitched and I thought I corrected it before anyone had a chance to read it!

Artsy Lady

Hi Riffael,

I posted this somewhere else but can't find it.

Anyway, I have found underwear that have a wide (maybe 4") band in place of a waistband that is made of spandex. It works well to provide support to my hernia at the site of my colostomy. They are made by Jockey and you can find them at Walmart, etc. They cost $11-12 for 2 pairs. They are comfortable even for me - I was a fan of going commando prior to getting my bag. And, they do not stop my output.

Hope you find what you need to be more comfortable!

PS... I am also a jeans and t-shirt person.

Abdulqadir

Hi

I think Bill's advice is a good solution if you can do it. I had a colostomy also in the same position as your stoma location is, so I irrigate when I travel or have a long busy day. But I used to not eat anything except water or coffee until I came back home every day and had dinner and was free to eat. This was hard at the beginning, but I got used to it and it became part of my lifestyle...not to mention here that I have had a stoma for my entire life (40 years).

Wish you the best

bryancohnracing

I wear a Nu-Hope support belt 24/7/365 due to hernias around my stoma. I'm on my 3rd and no docs will operate to repair it due to my asthma. I own 3 Nu-Hope belts. Yes, they are expensive at around $100 each BUT they have a lifetime warranty. My original had the sewn attachment of the ring start to fail and a phone call later, I was shipping it to them for repairs free of charge (other than shipping to them, they paid for shipping back to me! Talk about top quality service!)

I also use Waste Wicks from Ostomy Armor as they have been a lifesaver/life changer. Leaks no longer ruin my day or my clothing. I keep them in stock and change them often. I also have two Ostomy Armor support belts. These are a different design and work just as well as the Nu-Hope belt. It can hide things better in some cases and can allow for easier movement.

And finally, I use an Ostomy Secrets wrap to hold my bag in place. This keeps it from flopping around, hanging below a t-shirt, and so on.

The real key to the success of all of the above? My wife, who on a whim thought that maybe I should try wearing the bag and wrap on top of pants/shorts instead of underneath my clothing. Things are not as hidden as before, but my comfort has gone up 1000 fold, my leaks, and other problems have dropped to near zero.

The last thing that has seriously improved my quality of life was going to a stronger skin barrier adhesive and wax ring support tape (little half-round sticky things). I'm not sure why the combo works, but I went from blowouts every few days to now I can wear a barrier ring for two weeks! I'll wear the bag out and change it while leaving the barrier in place.

I'm also fortunate that we could afford to blow money on all kinds of things to try and see what worked, what didn't, and so on. In total, the items I use daily plus spares (for when things are in the laundry, or when I travel on business or pleasure) easily total $250. My total investment is well over $1000 in all the different items, some of which aren't used often.....

It ain't cheap being a sick person in Uhmerika. The healthy have no idea how good they have it.

Ritz
Reply to riffael

A proper hernia/ostomy belt has a hole cut out that your bag is out and free. I have a couple I was measured for, but don't like the tightness on mine, so I don't use it.

AlexT

I have a colostomy and use an ostomy wrap with great results. I bought mine from Ostomysecrets for about $40 shipped. Basically, it's just a simple wrap to go around your stomach, and it has a pocket inside to hold your bag. It doesn't hinder output and is very comfortable to wear.

frjaldomr

I have a colostomy and my stoma ranges from protruding 1/2 inch to protruding 1 1/2 inches. My output ranges from almost liquid to extremely firm.

I bought a Stealth Belt about a month after surgery and I've been using it now for about 9 months. I absolutely love it. I wear baggy-ish clothing and no one can tell I have an ostomy. Also, it does not restrict output in any way. It is also very helpful if I have an issue during the day with my pouch starting to come loose, which admittedly doesn't happen very often. But, it's very nice to have some backup until I can get to a bathroom.

I consider it $100 well spent.

Mimi6
Reply to Maried

Great tips!

Another tip I got was to wear a bandeau around the stoma. I ordered a package of 3 from Amazon and got a size that was looser. Holds the bag stable but not restricting.

riffael
Reply to Mimi6

Thanks, Mimi and everyone else who replied.
Thanks to Kaz and Lovely, I figured out to wear my bag outside my jeans. Most of my T-shirts are long enough to cover the tail, but when I'm out and about (after emptying it), I tuck the Velcro tab into my waistband so it doesn't hang down.
I'm nearing my one-year mark, and I've learned so much from you all. A hearty thank you!
Riff