Need Help with Ostomy Issues and Hernia

Replies
Views
Shazzon

I guess it has taken me a long time, 4 years, to accept that I am not having a great time with this ostomy. I now have a hernia and my stomach is upset a lot. I don't really have anyone to talk to about it. Please, I could use some help.

Shazzon

Past Member

I'm sorry to hear that. I've had mine since March 2020, so relatively new to all this. But if I can help, I will.

Hugs

Karen

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,423 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Caz67

Hi Shazzon

First of all, well done for reaching out to the group. What type of help is it that you are looking for? Is it the stoma, the bags, or food advice, or is it something totally different? If you tell us a little more info, e.g., what is wrong, what have you tried already, then we can all start chipping in to help you. XX

AlexT

What did your doctor say about the hernia? Is your upset stomach from that or have you changed foods in your diet?

Cplumber

I'm sorry you have to go through this and will be praying for you! As far as a hernia goes, I would get a hernia belt ASAP. They are very helpful and supportive. For your upset stomach, I would try Prilosec OTC. Obviously, you are under a lot of stress and with me, that helps a lot. I ain't no doctor, but I have had an ileostomy for 28 years and have had similar issues. You have come to the right place for help. This group is so helpful and caring. You can check the archives for tons of info.

Praying for you.

cplumber

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
AlexT
Reply to Cplumber

What kind of hernia belt do you recommend? I'm about to go back to work and I'll need something. I was thinking the NU-Comfort belt for ostomy/hernia support. Thanks.

Cplumber
Reply to AlexT

Yes, that's what I use. I find the Cool Comfort is more flexible, but the solid one gives more support. I use both. I have about 6 of them. Mine are covered by insurance when I have a prescription.

Good luck going back to work. Can I ask what you do?

AlexT
Reply to Cplumber

Conductor for a railroad. I don't lift too many heavy things at work, but occasionally. I'll be back in the gym too when I go back to work.

Cplumber
Reply to AlexT

Nice, I spent quite a bit of time on Amtrak going from Minneapolis to Williston, North Dakota. Those belts work very well.

Good luck.

AlexT
Reply to Cplumber

Thanks, appreciate it. Being a non-paying member, it's hard to ask a member a specific question unless the paying member starts by sending a message or starts a conversation in the private chat room. Hardly anyone uses the general (public) chat room.