Recovery Time: Lingering Symptoms After Total Colectomy?

Replies
Views
Bocro

I am 12 weeks post-surgery. (Total Colectomy)

I still have wobbly knees and an upset stomach.

Is this taking too long?

Morning glory

It takes a while, so give yourself time. Everyone is different, but if you're worried, ask your Dr.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,316 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Longroad78

Morning Glory is correct, each person is different. Your body will be adjusting to its new change, and has a settling point where you might start to feel better. Most go into surgery being the worst off and the surgery is there to get them back to a new life to get back to a new normal. I had the same surgery and from September to November before I went back to work things were changing and foods I avoided I was slowly able to introduce back into my diet but some things took up to a year before I risked some things.

You know your own body, if you feel something is wrong always consult your doctor or his or her team, they normally have a team including a PA to contact.

Look into some of the stories that are on here, it will help cover everything from recovery, diet, hydration, food blockages, showering and most of the things you might see or run into.

Hope you start to feel better.

Past Member

I was told 8-15 weeks, so hang in there. Careful diet, good hydration, short walks. I'm at 7 weeks and am still going through figuring out what gear will work on my funky stoma. I too feel like this is a long time. But just consider how wickedly our bodies have been altered! Hang in there and keep in touch.

AlexT

I didn't have quite the same surgery but I will say this....keep hydrated (IMO, you can't drink enough) and get up and move (walking). Give yourself time cause if you push it too hard too fast, it'll take even longer to heal if you injure yourself somehow.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
HenryM

Each of these responders is giving you good, experienced advice.  I concur with them.  After my colectomy, it was a slow road back.  But you'll definitely get there.  Stay positive; that always helps. 

Axl

You will know when you're ready..... took me all of 4-5 months but I was very crook, don't rush it, it's all about you now.

Past Member
Reply to Axl

So I have Crohn's, 2 overlapping autoimmune liver diseases (AIH, PBC, stage F2) and lots of other autoimmune related diseases including T2 Diabetes, Sjogren's, POTS / autonomic neuropathy, small fiber neuropathy (not caused by T2 but probably Sjogren's), arthritis, chronic migraine with aura, pain meds necessary for me to be able to walk a little - enough for self-care (lots of wonderful hubby help). I'm concerned because of everything plus the recent increase of Tacrolimus to 6 mg plus Prednisone (20mg) and Entyvio for the Crohn's, how hard total colectomy with ileostomy will be to recover from w/ infection. History of pseudo polyps and pelvic floor spasms with neuropathy stopping the flow, it is the way to go - cancer concern heightened by Tacrolimus and new likely squamous on arm (results in a week). Any insight is appreciated as to how to prepare. Also, I am already on morphine, how much extra pain meds were necessary after surgery? Thanks for your input!

Axl

Hello

Gee, you have a lot going on there and I'm sorry I can't comment on anything other than my own experience. I am one of the types for whom pain medication doesn't work very well, except for headaches which I rarely get. Once the operation meds wear off, I'm on my own. I usually go home with a bag of Endone, but discard that before long as it doesn't even take the edge off. Always recommended is to get yourself an inflatable rubber ring to sit on for a while. Sorry that I don't have more to offer you.

Axl