Q

Replies
Views
Past Member

Hi 

Past Member

Welcome StonedRoses,

I have a colostomy so no help but just wanted to welcome you. I'm sure lots of folks will be able to help.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM

Much of what you ask is dependent upon your personal system (we're all different) and circumstances.  How long it takes for a bag to fill & how often you have to empty are obviously related questions.  The answer is:  it depends upon what, how much, and how often you eat.  I've noticed that some people on here say they empty a lot less than I do, which is about ten or twelve times a day, and a couple of times during the night.  But I'm a snacker.  If I cut that out, I'd expect to fill up less frequently.  I'm retired, so I can get away with it.  Some foods will cause your output to be more liquidy and ergo lead to more frequent emptying; some don't.  You'll have to pay attention as you go along re how certain things impact your system and react accordingly.  For an obvious variety of reasons, irrespective of your ileostomy, smaller meals ought to trump larger meals, but the most important thing to remember:  CHEW YOUR FOOD GOOD.  Timing can be important.  I have an ironclad rule:  I never eat after 6 PM.  Sometimes I quit even earlier.  This helps get you through the night and is also key the day prior to changing your appliance.  Another rule:  drink lots of water because an ostomy robs a lot of moisture from your system.  RE your exercise regimen:  you ought to limited by how you see your personal abilities more than by the ileostomy.  Over the years, I have jogged regularly, worked out at the gym (until the coronavirus struck), and generally kept active.  You sound like you'll be fine.  Most of us didn't get to plan ahead...  

Rose Bud 🌹

Henry is right. Some people have high output. The most frustrating thing for me was hearing everyone is different and it depends on what you eat. Over time, you'll figure it out. For me, if I have lunchmeat, cucumbers without the skin, or pasta, it comes out just like water or if it's too much fat. Sometimes right away or up to 30 minutes. They say up to 5 cups a day is normal. If you notice more than that, talk to your doctor. My advice is to add things slowly to see how you handle it. I was scared to eat certain things and I can eat popcorn without problems and berries with seeds. Just make sure you drink plenty of fluids. Sometimes 64oz isn't enough and can stress the kidneys. Unfortunately, I learned this the hard way. Not to scare you, talk to your doctor just to make sure and check vitamin B12 and D3. It will become easier, I promise. ALSO, if you have problems with leaks, make sure you talk to your ostomy nurse. I had so many issues at first and IF I knew things in the beginning, it would've made life a lot easier. BUT this is the right place to talk about everything and at times have a good laugh. Hope this will help!!!

AlexT
Reply to Rose Bud 🌹

5 cups/day? Holy shit! And I thought having to empty maybe 3 times/day was a lot. Pasta and lunch meat for me too. Oh, and oatmeal raisin cookies but might have been from having a lot of them in a short amount of time. &zwj

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Rose Bud 🌹
Reply to AlexT

I wish it was 3. Since I have to drink 100oz of water and eat every 2 to 3 hours to get enough calories in (can't eat a lot at once and have diabetes due to pancreatitis), it's at least 8 times a day.

Past Member
Reply to Rose Bud 🌹

Oh my gosh, you poor thing.

AlexT
Reply to Rose Bud 🌹

Sorry you (or anyone) have to go through all of that.

Meadow Snow

I tend to have quite a high output stoma atm (but I'm only a new ostomate with this stoma, I had my op 3rd March this year). I'll empty anywhere between every 1-4 hours. And because everybody is different, and everyone's body is different, you might react to certain foods differently to how I react to them. I'm afraid it's just trial and error once you've had your op, see what works and what doesn't. And once you have had your op, you will probably be told to be low fiber for 6-8 weeks. If you have no idea how to be low fiber, you can ask your doctors and/or nurses to refer you to a dietician. I've also got a cheat sheet downloaded onto my phone and iPad from the Coloplast website called "Dietary Advice for Ostomates". Just in case you're unaware, Coloplast is one of the many companies who make stoma bags.

TerryLT

Hi StonedRoses, you've received lots of good advice here regarding maintenance and diet, so I will restrict my answer to the hernia/working out part of your questions. Prior to my first surgery (an emergency colostomy), I was a bit of a gym rat. I was in pretty good shape and worked my core and abdominal muscles regularly. My surgeon told me that this probably helped protect me from a possible hernia going forward, but I still had to be really careful. I lived with the colostomy for about a year before having ileostomy surgery. This year was spent during Covid, so the gyms were closed. I did do some gentle abdominal exercises that were meant specifically for people after this type of surgery, but I was very cautious. The hole in your gut from a colostomy is bigger, hence a bigger risk of hernia. After my ileo surgery, and the closing up of my colostomy site, with plenty of healing time, I started core and abdominal exercises again, such as planks and gentle leg lifts, but no crunches. I'm working my way towards a stronger core and firmer abdominals, but I know I won't ever be where I once was, and that's OK. The hole for the ileostomy is smaller and you won't have as much hernia risk, but it's still there, and you really want to avoid that! I do all my other gym exercises as before, it's just the abdominals you need to be careful with.

Also, be sure to give yourself plenty of time to heal before even starting, six to eight weeks at least, and start slowly. Otherwise, go for it!

Terry

Past Member

T

Oldostomate
Reply to Anonymous

I have colon cancer metastatic with spread into the perineum... When I was told that the cancer was back at the anastomosis site and had spread, the oncologist told me that the cancer would eventually occlude the ilium and require my ostomy to be re-put in. (I had had an ileostomy for 6 months, had it taken down then diagnosed with the colon cancer recurrence.). I told the oncologist to put it back in while I was in as good health as I would ever be in rather than waiting until it became an emergency. That was almost a year ago and I am so glad I made that decision. I don't enjoy having the ileostomy but I don't dread having it put back either... That is just my experience...

BackToCa

I had my ileostomy back in 1983, so I have had time to work out ways that work for me. I empty mine maybe 4 or 5 times over 24 hours. It depends on what I eat and how much. I don't really avoid any foods, but I take Beano to reduce gas. I try to remember to chew well, and I adjust the quantity I eat if I need to adjust my output. I change my water every 5-7 days. I have been very lucky with mine, no major problems.
As for sports and activities, I am on the lucky side there as well. I do all sorts of activities. I bike regularly, both mountain biking and road biking. I do some weightlifting. I took up surfing a few years ago, and that has been fun. I am not good at it, but I enjoy it. I love the ocean and also kayak and paddleboard. I hike a lot and backpack sometimes. I have done many other activities in the past after my surgery, such as scuba diving, whitewater kayaking, flying light aircraft, martial arts, and travel. My surgery definitely changed my life in some ways but has not stopped me from doing many things. It takes planning and putting up with some inconvenience. I actually don't have much memory of not having an ostomy; it had been so long. I had UC, and it all happened very quickly. I was in college at the time.
Everyone is different, and I hope you find ways to live your best life.

jamie
Reply to Anonymous

I have had my ileostomy for 55 years...I was 10 :) Anyway, good answers from all, but left out an important one: frequency of emptying is also dependent on what you are wearing, at least for me! Some clothing just shows a full bag more than others.

vollovr

Hello SR, while I agree with all the others, I would just like to add one important aspect to your question of how many times do we empty. It depends on how much of your small bowel has to be removed. When I had my first and second surgery, only a moderate amount of small bowel was removed, therefore my output wasn't high and I emptied approximately 4-5 times/day. Fast forward to my 3rd surgery. Now I have what is called short bowel syndrome where more than half of my small bowel is gone, resulting in high output and the necessity to empty 10 times from early wake up to bedtime. I take liquid vitamins, try to stay hydrated, and give myself monthly B-12 injections for inadequate absorption. The most problematic foods for me are high fiber.

Old Bud

10 times in 24 hours. Usually 4 at night. Set an alarm. Quiet all afternoon. I eat lots of anything. Eating triggers output. So far I have very little pain so I really like it. I dreaded the pain in the ass and sitting on a toilet all day. Hernia belt recommended right away. Don't stress stomach for several months after surgery. Good luck.