Avoiding Bag Leaks: Tips for Organizing and Storing Supplies

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Justbreathe

Organizing my supplies today, I ran across some old bags (no offense intended). A while ago, I had my one and only leak in public. I did escape unscathed, but when I got home, I immediately put into storage that type of bag. I have a difficult time throwing things away - always save for "in case of emergency." Anyway, while organizing, I see I had written myself messages on this particular box of "guilty as charged" bags. I have attached a pic below to further explain and for your viewing pleasure. I am posting this because, as a newbie, I was unaware of these details and other than this website, there aren't many "professionals" to advise us of the bazillion of options there are. It is often a hit and miss thing - many times leading to embarrassments and mega rashes! If at least one person finds this info useful, my work here is done and I will go do my laundry now. jb

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SallyK

What brand are these JB?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
AlexT

My one and only true blowout (and real mess) came from exactly the same style of bag as you have pictured. I have no confidence in bags that have no "last line of defense" like the one you have posted or like the cloth tape edge the Hollister bags I use have. I carry flange extenders but I don't use them regularly as I see them as an extra thing I really don't need and more work to deal with.

Justbreathe
Reply to SallyK

Both bags are Convatec - In defense of Convatec, the white bag is the model I currently sport.

(Convatec 22771) with no "dealer add-ons," but I do change it every other day.

Teddiee
Reply to SallyK

Looks like old Convatec

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Teddiee

JB....I guess it's time to actually throw that old stock away. After your leak experience, would you really consider using one of those again? Keep only great bags, for emergency stock.

Justbreathe
Reply to Teddiee

You are probably right, however, it's the old "what if?" question. What if I am down to my last supply and this happens to my delivery truck? I'd be thinkin' - Damn why did I throw those old socks away???!!!

SallyK
Reply to Justbreathe

OMG, JB, that is exactly how I think! LOL. I guess they are right that great minds think alike.