Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
27,382 members

Cancer treaments with Ileostomy Stoma..long post lol

Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:01 pm
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

Once again today like every 2 weeks I find myself an hour away from homebase sitting in an oncology chair for little over 4 hours then hooked to baby bottle for home for another 48 hrs....

Now it's not what I expected to be doing with my life BUT as I sit watching the coming and goings of other I reflect....

Hell ya I am still here fighting the good fight, many don't get me but I absolutely refuse to be negetative about this or my stoma or sh@@ bag (if ya like,) this is for me, my family and friends, I'm not ready yet.....this new journey in my life is whats keeping me here!!!!

I am 59 yrs young and was raised a fighter we don't give up it's not in my blood....I survived a heart attack 1yr prior, dealing with type 2 diabetes, have rheumatoid arthritis, I survived ileostomy 8 hr emergency surgery and I am surviving cancer, I know they can't heal me I accept....but control it it's better than the alternative....

My stoma pretty much behaves itself at treatments between treatments and 48hrs duration the chemo and immo hasn't really effect its actions or outputs, most serious side effect I have experienced in my 3 month thus far is occasional nausea not every treatment the odd 1 and worse is not drinking or eating anything cold for the first week after bottle disconnect AND the finger electricity feeling in my hands if I touch anything cold or metal so to help with this I use a pair of insulated rubber gardening gloves when going in the fridge/freezer grocery store etc and cleaning toilet bowel etc.... Its about staying positive, adapt overcome and conquer and taking care of yourself in a ton of ways... Don't be afraid to treat yourself you deserve it!!!!

There are worse out there than me and others better off than me but no 1 is ME, its ok to ride that emotional roller- all of us ride it many times over and over just remember at the end of the ride we are not alone and we fight!!!!! Don't ask WHY me :ask WHY not me!!!!!

Smile on and keep on keeping on, never give up no matter your battle kick its ass!!! #noonewalksalone

your friend Homie with a Stomie

Tracy

Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:38 pm

Homie with a stomie! 

I love this one, what a fighter you are Tracy, keep that up!

best

Paul

aka Abe Froman

MeetAnOstoMate - 27,382 members
Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:46 pm

Tracy, you are so incredibly strong. Thanks for sharing that energy so that others who may need some can take a little.💗

Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:47 pm

Abefroman1969 wrote:

Homie with a stomie! 

I love this one, what a fighter you are Tracy, keep that up!

best

Paul

aka Abe Froman

lol....its my fav as well ty bud appreciated the words another fav at shower time rub a dub dub homie in the tub lol cause I have bath/shower combo.... 🤣 🤣 

your friend Homie with a Stomie

Tracy

ps hubby is a homie with a stomie rapper it seems 😆 🤣 

Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:48 pm

Sending loads of love and good vibes your way. 💖💖💖

Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:07 pm

eefyjig wrote:

Tracy, you are so incredibly strong. Thanks for sharing that energy so that others who may need some can take a little.💗

my pleasure....if it encourages just 1 my heart is happy....

thank you for reading and ur grateful response 🥰

Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:51 pm

Oh I had the cold sensitivity too, hard to explain to those that have never had the pleasure. I drank hot water or hot chocolate for 4 months or so and I lived on pop before that. Had it real bad in my feet. 

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:21 pm

AlexT wrote:

Oh I had the cold sensitivity too, hard to explain to those that have never had the pleasure. I drank hot water or hot chocolate for 4 months or so and I lived on pop before that. Had it real bad i...

thankfully not in my feet hands are vad enough but I try to remember gloves before I do as doc say its cumulative and progress with each treatment... I am down to 2 cups of coffee am and a pepsi maybe every other day and of course my water my friend....can't drink water or pop cold or anything cold for about a week after bottle is removed as I get that cold shard feeling in ur throat....but hell at least I don't have to give up ice cream for to long lol 🙃 😅 

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:44 pm

Homie With A Stomie NS wrote:

thankfully not in my feet hands are vad enough but I try to remember gloves before I do as doc say its cumulative and progress with each treatment... I am down to 2 cups of coffee am and a pepsi ma...

I could post pictures of what it did to my feet. 😮 Hopefully, unlike me, your tingling situation goes away when your done. Mine went away for about a week and now my feet are always tingling 24/7. I still have a little time for it to go away. Otherwise, like my oncologist says, it’s a souvenir I get to keep. 😬

Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:47 pm

AlexT wrote:

I could post pictures of what it did to my feet. 😮 Hopefully, unlike me, your tingling situation goes away when your done. Mine went away for about a week and now my feet are always tingling 24/...

yep pretty much what my doc said as well as my hands.... again rather my gands then feet I am praying the tingles disappear from your feet my friend...ouch

Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:34 pm

Hi, Thank you for sharing your story. I have a very similar story. I was 49 last June when I was  diagnosed with Colorectal cancer. I did 30 days of radiation, 6 sessions of chemo therapy and went home with the bag. I got my surgery after my treatments were done and it was almost 7 hours, and I also spent 11 days in the hospital recovering. It feels good to be able to share my story and know that someone understands. I feel positive and lucky that I have been strong physically and most of the time emotionally, and that I’m getting through this journey. I always try to look at the positive. My aunt, who’s a cancer survivor told me to watch things that make you laugh, that laughter helps. I watched reruns of the Golden Girls and I love Lucy, I surrounded myself with people who make me happy ( I’m very lucky that I have such a great support unit, people who I thought didn’t care actually did, it was eye opening),  and I did what I loved, gardening, art, meeting with friends and family for brunch, dinner, etc. My journey’s not over and my next and hopefully last surgery is to reverse my ileostomy. My doctor said it’s going to be crazy for awhile and tho I’m a little scared, I’m not going to give up now. Thank you again for your story and your positivity is contagious. Keep strong!

Last edited by MS18 on Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:13 pm

MS18 wrote:

Hi, Thank you for sharing your story. I have a very similar story. I was 49 last June when I was  diagnosed with Colorectal cancer. I did 30 days of radiation, 6 sessions of chemo therapy and went...

ty so much for ur story hun and ur gracious words....always remember you got this we ostomates never give up.....my surgery was 1st then in chemo mid treatment scan on Monday woot woo let's go....stay strong and carry on my friend...

Tracy

Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:26 pm

Wishing you all the best tomorrow!

Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:08 pm

I must have had the same chemotherapy plan as you or close. Xeloda 14 days and oxipilatin I believe that is how it's spelled.. I did 4 months on a 21 day regime. June 10 was my last treatment day. I still get cold sensations in my hands especially with door knobs and anything metal. I finally get to drink cooler drinks but now that I'm used to everything warm or room temperature I even drink soda room temp. 😅 

Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:12 pm

AlexT wrote:

I could post pictures of what it did to my feet. 😮 Hopefully, unlike me, your tingling situation goes away when your done. Mine went away for about a week and now my feet are always tingling 24/...

My hands are always tingling as well. I also lost my fingerprints for awhile.  Yesterday I took a few sips of a sonic slushy. Was ok. I guess I just got used to drinking everything warm. 

Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:25 pm

I don’t know if it would be any comfort to you folks actively fighting cancer or recently finished with treatment. 
I was diagnosed in 1999 in the late fall, I had radiation, surgery and later the first round of chemo. That has been 22 years ago and I’m still cancer free, my oncologist retired.....so I don’t even give cancer a second thought anymore. 
he said and I quote.... “your my best patient.....and your my worst patient “

I guess in this instance, I got the last laugh.  Stay strong, you can beat it !

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.