Exposure to chemicals

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Elzie

Hey all!

I had my ileostomy done back in 2006 after several surgeries. I had UC and didn't know it, but it was severe enough that my colon was removed when the surgeon took a look inside. He said it was "dogmeat" and making my body toxic. Long story short, I had issues with nausea and got a medication for it. I haven't needed it in years, until this week. What happened this week? I started a new job at a chemical manufacturer. My UC ended up leaving me with RA and some other fun autoimmune odds and ends. I now need this medication every night as I wake up ready to throw up.

I have some exposure to MEK, Toluene, Acetone, Hexane, etc... Does anyone have any experience with these chemicals making them nauseous? I guess this weekend will tell me more. I am interviewing somewhere today after work as they reached out to me, but I don't want to bail on this company. That being said, I can't do this if the chemicals are a problem. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Paul

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Axl

Hi Paul

I have had plenty of experience with acetone and MEK, was way before my ileo but I never had any issues with either of them other than being set on fire with the acetone but that's another story ..

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Elzie

Thank you Axl! This is a good job and I don't want to have to leave it. Set on fire? That does not sound like a good time. I hope you were/are okay.