Reversing Colostomy: Experiences with Ileostomy and Success Rate?

Replies
Views
psminker

So I went to a doctor that sounded confident he can reverse my colostomy, but he would have to give me an ileostomy for a minimum of about 6 weeks, then reverse that. Has anyone else gone through this or know someone who did? What differences are there between a colostomy and an ileostomy? I know the large bowel is colostomy and the small bowel is ileostomy, but that is about it at this point. Does this usually work to get where you can be ostomy free?

AlexT

My question is why? From what I've read on here and other places, you'll be emptying a lot more often, have much more liquidy output, and have to watch your intake of fluids and solids much more.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

@Alex They typically do this to allow the lower bowel time to heal before allowing waste to move through. It eliminates chances of bowel leakage internally and generally has a better success rate.

As for the differences between the two, the large intestine is where water is removed from waste, so output tends to be more solid/formed. With an ileo, output is more typically pudding-like in consistency. How often you'll need to empty will depend on your diet and how comfortable you are with output in the bag; some people like to empty at 1/3 to 1/2 full, others feel like that's too much and empty more frequently. The stoma also is usually smaller for an ileo than a colostomy, so you'll likely need different supplies than you currently use.

Some people have success with reversal, and others aren't candidates for it at all. It depends on what condition you have that caused you to need an ostomy in the first place and how well managed or recovered you are. If your doctor is feeling confident about it, and you're not a fan of your ostomy, you don't have much to lose in trying it! Best of luck!

psminker
Reply to AlexT

WIGirl77 is correct. They want to give the colon a chance to heal before allowing anything through it. Then, if everything goes as planned, the ileostomy will be reversed 6 weeks after I receive it, where I no longer have a stoma at all.

psminker

I work 4 10-hour days and I cannot just take a break whenever I want to or need to. How do others with an ileostomy handle this? Do you just cut way down on intake while working?

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Mabsie Moll
Reply to AlexT

@PSMinker, AlexT is right! I'm 7 weeks post-op since Friday. I had no idea I would wake up with an ileostomy and a stoma called a fistula. To say it's a pain in the behind is an understatement. I have to empty the bag up to 9 times a day, and it is a constant struggle to get the liquid content to thicken. I'm on medication for this, and two days ago the numbers were great at 940 ml, and today the numbers are back up at 1500 ml. Dehydration is a major issue, and trying to get the stoma to thicken is a job. Despite 3 major surgeries within a month, I am told that mine will be reversed. Therefore, I'm blessed apparently! But I still have to go through the pain of another operation and recovery again, and then hope that it all works out!‍ Weight or rather lack of weight is another problem. (Great weight loss solution if I wasn't so serious and dangerous!) 6 weeks seems rather premature and unrealistic to me. Your colostomy site needs time to heal. I was told at least 3 to 4 months normally for ileostomy reversal. But because of my weight loss (I'm in the neighborhood of 6st 10lbs / 94lbs / 44kg), my stoma nurse said it could be as many as 8 or more months before mine will be reversed to allow my body to gain weight. Believe me, it's not easy, 'cause most of the nutrients go straight to the ileostomy stoma. And I am eating all around me! And it is very difficult to gain weight.

I can't speak to colostomy to compare. I haven't had experience with that, and with the greatest of respect to all whom it may concern, I don't want to have that experience. Perhaps you should seek a second opinion because surgery is very hard on your body. I hope you read this reply to Alex T because there was no reply option to your notice. So I hope you read this.

And hopefully more seasoned ileostomates will advise you further on the pros and cons. Mabsie Moll.‍

ron in mich

Hi PS, my oldest brother in his mid-70s at the time had a temporary colostomy due to colon cancer, and when his chemo treatments were done, he waited 6 weeks and had his colostomy reversed. Good luck.

Past Member
Reply to psminker

I'm a teacher and I can't just use a bathroom when I need to under the best of circumstances and there's no accommodation because I have an ostomy/Crohn's disease. I get through the day by being mindful of the quantity of food and drink that I consume during work hours, avoiding carbonation, and emptying when I can even if there is less output than I would normally empty. Very rarely has there been an issue where I need to empty because the bag is getting too full. If I'm mindful about the quantity of food I have and avoiding problematic foods while at work, I find that I don't have to empty too frequently. On average, I might only have to empty 1-3 times at work, and I've made it through a few days without having to empty for 6-8 hours because the amount of output wasn't excessive.