Experiences with Barbie butt revision?

Replies
Views
Beth22

I went to the doctor yesterday. My stoma is getting revised. Praise God. The doctor also brought up the option of getting a Barbie butt due to my pelvic floor dysplasia. So, question for those that have a Barbie butt, how has it been with getting it done?

Mabsie Moll

Hi Beth 22

Sorry, I don't have answers for you but I do have questions. Please, one!

What does it mean to have a stoma revised?
What is a Barbie butt?

Mabsie Moll ‍

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,441 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beth22

Mabsie,

Revised is pulling the stoma up/out more. A Barbie butt is where they remove the rectal stump.

AlexT

The actual Barbie Butt surgery for me wasn't all that bad. You'll be very sore/tender for a while and sitting isn't much of an option for some time afterwards. My surgery was in March of 2021 and there are some things I can't sit on still (my metal patio furniture for one). You're already used to a stoma, so you got 90% of it already whipped. I was told 8-12 weeks for being off work. Of course, I had complications so it turned into much longer but that wasn't technically from that surgery. Any other questions, just ask.

AlexT

Dissolvable stitches. Watching the YouTube video of the girl getting her stitches taken out was horribly painful, and I'm sure she didn't like it either.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
pmivm68

The removal of the stitches was the worst part. They used something like fishing string when they sewed that area up, but I do not know if a separate surgery for just that had an option for dissolving stitches. My surgery was an all-in-one total colectomy and Barbie butt. They had a pad for seepage as the area healed, and sitting directly on your rear was not a major issue, just had to adjust how you sit.

eefyjig

I have a Barbie butt that came with my permanent ostomy, also with dissolvable stitches like Alex said. I was sore for at least five or six weeks, Percocet at first and then Tylenol. You may find yourself kind of leaning to one side for a while but once you can sit upright, they may suggest a "donut" pillow to sit on. I decided against it because I was told that it tends to pull your cheeks apart. I sat on squishy microbead pillows that you kind of sink into. I have no issues today.

AlexT

This is what they gave me to sit on and it helped a lot. Yeah, no donut cushion or sitting on the toilet to empty for awhile, spreads the cheeks apart too much.

AlexT
Reply to pmivm68

Yeah, I had about 500 yards it seems of dissolvable line. No issues with any of it but I'd hate to have them pulled out.

Pinkie pooh
Reply to Beth22

Can a stoma be revised by pulling it up and out? I would think they would have to create a new site and close the old one.

Mabsie Moll
Reply to Beth22

Thank you! Both sound OUCH though!!!

Beth22
Reply to Pinkie pooh

They can pull it out and up without relocating it... They will relocate it if they have to, but if it doesn't need to be, then just out and up.

Beth22
Reply to AlexT

Do you still have to sit on stuff like that? Or can you sit normally after the healing? And did you get an infection or have to pack your Barbie butt?

Beth22
Reply to eefyjig

Did you have a drainage bag from your butt when you woke up? Do you still sit on something soft for your butt?

Beth22
Reply to AlexT

Alex, I have pelvic floor dysplasia, which means my pelvic floor never relaxes. So, I couldn't ever go to the bathroom (since birth). That's why I got my ileo. I had to do a loop because mucus won't pass out of the rectum. Lol, it's straight up Fort Knox, nothing gets out. I get pressure and sometimes pain in the rectum from the pressure of stool in the rectum. So, with that, the doctor gave me the option to get a Barbie butt.

AlexT
Reply to Beth22

I don't use anything to sit on now. But there are things I can't sit on very long, basically hard surface type things. I got an infection from surgery and then where (my butt) they zapped me with radiation wouldn't heal. All good now, just took way longer and had to go through some other stuff to get it healed.

Axl

Hi Beth

I have had two revisions and each time the diameter of the stoma got larger. Appliances won't stick to a scar, so any trace of surface scar needs to be removed completely so your appliance will stick adequately, which is why the diameter increases or relocates to keep the diameter smallest. Check this with your surgeon. The diameter of mine has increased by 2 cm from the original.

Axl

Past Member

I am the real life Barbie with a Barbie butt - no issues

Beth22
Reply to Axl

Axl,

May I ask why two revisions? And thank you for the heads up. I will ask him before surgery about that. It's good he looked at my stoma for quite a while. It's a new doctor, not the one that originally created it.

Beth22
Reply to Anonymous

Barbyh,

You didn't get an infection or have to sit on anything soft or anything like that?

Beth22
Reply to AlexT

That's what I am concerned about infections... and having to pack my butt...

Axl
Reply to Beth22

I went from a failed jpouch back to an ileo at the site where the previous ileo was for the construction of the pouch, so that one had to be larger than the previous one's closing scar, then that one was prolapsing so it was revised, "re done". I've had four different ones all up at the same site, which has resulted in the almost 2cm increase in diameter. I didn't want to relocate to the other side at the time and I didn't want one instead of a navel so I went with what I already had.

eefyjig
Reply to Beth22

Beth, no drainage bag after surgery (I guess because it's closed up back there??) and I sit normally now. My surgery was seven years ago but I was sitting fine after about three months, maybe even before then.

Pinkie pooh
Reply to Beth22

Thank you, Beth. Tomorrow will make 6 weeks since surgery. The skin around my stoma is breaking down really bad. One spot, the skin came off from around my stoma when changing the appliance. I went to the doctor's on Monday. He made the comment, "I made it too small." He would have his nurse get the ostomy nurse near me to get in touch with me. Well, I called the doctor's office today. They had not referred me yet. They claimed they were just now doing it. Had I not called, it probably would not have gotten done. I just hope they call tomorrow.

Beth22
Reply to Axl

Axl,

I am really sorry. That sounds really rough and painful. How is it now? Are you all good now?

Beth22
Reply to Pinkie pooh

I am glad you called. Some doctors' offices are like that, and it makes it hard for us. I hope they get in touch soon. I would call back in a day or two if you hadn't heard anything. And that sounds painful. Did your doctor recommend anything else?

Beth22
Reply to eefyjig

This is good to know. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I really appreciate it.

Pinkie pooh
Reply to Beth22

They did call this morning with an appointment for next Friday. I explained how bad it was, so I'm waiting for her to call back now to see if she found out anything I might be able to do until then. I called the wound care at the hospital and left a message, but who knows if they will call back. I guess once my skin has completely been devoured around my stoma, someone may care. It is very painful and I pack on the stoma powder.

Panko

I went straight into an induced coma after my TPE, as I was told the pain would be unbearable and the pain relief would only take 50% away. I woke up 2-3 weeks later, ripping the long tube out of my mouth, and then the pain kicked in! Three years on, I can't sit on hard chairs or furniture. I can send a picture if you wish?

Superme

Hi, I have had a revision to pull the stoma out more. They did not change the site. The surgery was easy, and I was told to stay overnight, but I hate hospitals, so I checked myself out, stitches and all, and recovered at home. I had my rectum and rectal stump removed in the second surgery some 9 years prior. Mike