Recommendations for ostomy-friendly commodes?

Replies
Views
Redondo

Just wondering if anyone out there has found a good commode for their home? I'm talking about the length of the opening of the commode to allow emptying the ostomy without getting the commode seat dirty in the process. If so, can you please tell me the make and model. I'm shopping for a new commode at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

AlexT

Most toilets are pretty standard size unless you really want to pay for a custom toilet. They do make oval instead of round, which may give you a little more room to empty your bag. I just kneel in front of the toilet and never have to worry about getting any on the seat.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Redondo.

Thanks for the question.

If you are looking for a deep commode as opposed to a toilet, I would suggest exploring those made for camping and caravanning, as they tend to be deeper than the 'normal ' commodes made for invalids and the elderly. 

Also, commodes are really only small buckets with a seat on top. If it was me in this situation, I would be looking to find a bucket that suited my needs and either adapt an existing seat or make a new one.

A few years back when we lived in Ipswich (UK) we had an outside toilet with just such a bucket and seat. the bucket needed to be emptied about once a week and the old trenches in which the waste was buried made for an excellent growing medium for brassica crops such  as brussels and cabbages. They would grow to prize-winning sizes!

Best wishes

Bill

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Bill 

Homie With A Stomie NS

Morning Redondo....I sit and poop (dump) on the john....I simply put paper in front to avoid splash or unwind hold flap tight point down and let it go and wipe edge before retucking....haven't had any issues with different toilets just find what works for you and adapt for it...

Happy Monday

Cplumber

As indicated in my profile name, I'm a plumber and have been for 34 years and had an ileostomy for 28 years. Here are links to some toilets that are ostomy friendly and a spray accessory that could be helpful.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier-Bay-2-Piece-1-28-GPF-High-Efficiency-Single-Flush-Elongated-Toilet-in-White-N2428E/204074796

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-Highline-Arc-The-Complete-Solution-2-piece-1-28-GPF-Single-Flush-Elongated-Toilet-in-White-Slow-Close-Seat-Included-K-78279-0/307908571

Purrfectzone Bidet Sprayer for Toilet, Handheld Sprayer Kit, Hand Held Bidet, Cloth Diaper Sprayer Set - Easy to Install https://a.co/d/aSOmkXz

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Maried

A toilet that is higher than average.

AlexT
Reply to Cplumber

I have the first one that CPlumber mentioned in 2 of my 3 bathrooms. Very easy to install and low cost.

Justbreathe

Attention all toilets - (both home and away from home)

My Poo in the Loo Review Discovered Through Initial Public Debut

The tissue toilet seat covers sell for about a penny a sheet on Amazon

If placed properly (backward and upside down), they help prevent splash-back and keep waste away from the bowl, then carry

the whole sh*t bang down the drain when flushed. And now for today's "visual "

Not noted in picture instructions but turn tissue upside down first.

Redondo
Reply to Bill

I am actually looking for a toilet. I know that there are oblong ones instead of round ones. I guess I have to just look at measurements when I search.

Thank you.

Redondo
Reply to AlexT

I am fairly short and I don't think I would reach if I kneel in front of the toilet.

Thank you.

AlexT
Reply to Redondo

You could get a small stool so you could kneel on it. ‍

lovely

I am looking at getting the higher commode because it is easier on my knees to get up from. As far as emptying my bag, now I just sit as far back on the commode as possible and empty the bag between my legs. The end of the bag comes just above the water, then I use a squirt bottle to rinse the bag out, and then I just wipe the end clean.

Justbreathe
Reply to lovely

Yep - just sit back as far as possible

then

AlexT

Since you all like to laugh, here's one for ya. Back when I was going to the doctor all the time, I had to stop and use the bathroom to empty my bag before going to my appointment. So, I go in to the stall, drop my shorts/underwear, sit down, and then proceed to empty my bag. About halfway through, I figured out I was a dumbass and dropped my shorts for no reason except I did it for 50 years and habits are hard to break. &zwj

Bill

Hello Redondo.

If your problem is simply getting on and of  - had you considered a raised toilet seat.

9 Best Raised Toilet Seats for Elderly or Seniors (womansworld.com)

Here is a small extract introducing their article:

"We might take it for granted, but even a seemingly simple task like using the bathroom or getting out of a recliner chair can be a difficult for someone with restricted agility or flexibility, like those who suffer from osteoarthritis or are recovering from an operation. But finding the best raised toilet seat can turn the dreaded task into something you or your loved one doesn’t even think twice about. You’ll be surprised by how much daily life can change with this one simple, and budget-friendly, contraption!

A raised toilet seat is like a regular toilet seat but much taller, thus enabling the user to sit down without squatting as low as they would on a standard toilet. They can come with handles to further assist the user, making the whole experience much less uncomfortable. When equipped with arms or legs, there is extra stability for safer and easier lifting. If you have elderly relatives, you may find a raised toilet seat particularly valuable.

If you’re worried about installing a raised toilet seat, don’t be. It is often as simple as lifting the current toilet seat and cover, then pressing the new raised toilet seat down onto the toilet bowl until it’s securely in place. However, each toilet seat comes with its own set of instructions, so be sure to read them to make sure you’ve installed the seat correctly. 

Keep scrolling for Woman’s World’s picks for the best raised toilet seat, so you can go without a second thought."

Best wishes

Bill

Redondo
Reply to Cplumber

I will definitely look into the toilets that you recommend.

Thank you.

Connie

Redondo
Reply to Bill

Hi

No, my issue is not getting on and off. A regular height toilet works best for me since I am short. I was looking for the longest oval-shaped toilet to make it easier to empty without dirtying the toilet at the front.

Thanks for your help.

Connie

Bill
Reply to Redondo

Hello Connie.

Thanks for clarifying the situation as it offers an opportunity to make other suggestions.

Toilet seats are designed for people who use their bum to defecate. We need a completely different design (in my opinion). 

To make more room on the toilet when sitting down: I changed my toilet-seat for one that easily removes by pressing buttons at the sides at the fixing points. This leaves two protruding metal spikes. I then made a padded wooden board to fit over theses spikes so that it did not move and was just the right width to allow me plenty of room at the front to sort out the stoma waste.

The thing about easily removing the normal seat and replacing it with a 'comfortable' board, is that it gives approximately 5/6inches more room at the front,  as I am sitting with my back to the wall rather than my back to the raised lid of the seat. Once finished, I can then simply remove my board and replace the normal toilet seat so that my wife can feel that she is still 'normal'. 

I hope these suggestions will eventually lead to a resolution of your issue. It does save a lot of time and effort if someone else has found a solution, even if it is DIY!

Best wishes

Bill

Renfromtexas

I just stand and face the toilet and empty. Yes. Sometimes it gets on the bowl and I have to clean it.

Renfromtexas
Reply to AlexT

I just stand and empty.

Renfromtexas
Reply to Homie With A Stomie NS

I just basically do what you do, except I stand facing the toilet and dump. Then I wipe, bag, and I'm done.