Backpacking with a Bag After Bladder/Prostate Surgery: Tips for Hip Belt Fit?

Replies
Views
Ice

Going to have my bladder/prostate removed in a few days and wondering how people wear backpacks with a bag. Trying to plan a hike up Pikes Peak next year but worried about how the hip belt will fit.

AlexT

You could always wear a stoma guard to protect your stoma from the belt. I wear one if I'm doing something that has me hitting/bumping my stoma, which for me is wearing chest waders and backpacking duck decoys into where I'm hunting. The one I use is from StomaGear but there are other brands/styles. If the belt doesn't actually lay right on your stoma, I don't see much of an issue.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,470 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM

I would suggest that you have a serious discussion with the surgeon about the placement of your stoma.  I have seen way too many examples of people on this site who have stomas placed too high.  I'm sure everyone will have an opinion, but I like it a couple inches below the navel and on one side.  In this manner, one avoids problems with belt line and, I would suspect, such things as backpack hip belts.  I hiked the AT with no stoma issues.  Now, the constant rain, that was something else...  

Mark1070

Yeah. You want to talk to your surgeon about this. I backpack with a stoma which was done under emergency conditions. The hip belt covers the stoma and can compromise the seal if I'm not careful. Fortunately, I have what ileo/colostomates refer to as an innie. The stoma is close to flush with my skin and I wear a convex barrier so the belt doesn't rub or irritate my stoma. I would think the same would be true for a urostomy. Again, your surgeon should be able to answer.

HenryM

Too often, surgeons performing ostomies have no idea of the potential issues associated with a poorly placed stoma.  You're lucky if you get to address the matter beforehand.  Most of us didn't.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
OldCrohnie
Reply to HenryM

Here in Australia, my first stoma site was drawn on my belly by the stoma nurse a few days before surgery. It was great! She made me sit, bend, and measure where my waistband sat. That way, the stoma would not interfere with my natural creases.

Unfortunately, it was resited to the opposite side during a tricky repair surgery a few years ago. Now it's a pain as it sits right where my undies waistband sits.

AlexT
Reply to OldCrohnie

My ostomy nurse did the same thing.

ron in mich

Hi all, my nurse did the same as Alex and old chronie in marking my stomach. Then the surgeon came in and checked it out with the same routine of sitting, standing, bending, and then asking what I did for a living. It made me feel confident he knew what he was doing.

JamesArnod

10 years ago, I had that operation. I have a backpack that has both a chest and tummy belt. I leave the tummy strap somewhat loose. No problems so far, and my stoma is very close to my belt line. So close that I have to always wear a T-shirt so my pants don't pull down on my stoma and rip it off, so to speak.

Jim

Jayne
Reply to HenryM

Yes discussions about very specific stoma placement - certaininly understanding a varied number of specific placement options - all in detail with your Surgeon/s so as to have a maybe six placement [reducing odds according to leisions and blood supply and possible pucture/repair s during the process] .....

I have managed to mainitain a best position so far [albeit having changed sides] to allow for flying harness.

So yes - have the discussion - PLANNING IS ALL - also get in ivoved - become the best team player one can - within your own solution - your Surgeons - if they are good - will welcome imput and be prepared to dicuss detail for any planned intervetions.

BW

Jayne