Need advice for skin irritation under ostomy pouch

Replies
Views
ArnietheK

I had a colostomy performed on May 5 with a revision on May 12. I have experienced no leaks from my appliance. But I have developed annoying skin irritations under the elastic barrier strips that surround my ostomy pouch. They itch and are sometimes painful. At one spot under my appliance, I have developed a particularly annoying and painful raised welt/cyst/pimple under my appliance above my stoma. I apply Stomahesive protective powder and no-sting skin barrier wipes when I change my drainable pouch every two days. But this regimen alone has not eased my discomfort. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what products I may try? Or might a prescription strength medication like a cortisone cream be indicated? Thanks for any ideas you may like to share.

AlexT

Possibly a reaction to the adhesive. But if it's isolated spots, it might be an infection.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

Are you using an appliance with ceramide infused into the flange? Both Hollister and Coloplast make them and the ceramide really does promote healing and protect your skin. I was getting skin irritation too, until I started using my Hollister product (#8958), and my skin has been healthy since.

Terry

w30bob

Hi Arnie,

While everyone on here has the best intentions... offering up suggestions to a problem we haven't seen, and that's only described by a couple sentences, can be a recipe for disaster. Skin issues around the stoma can be very benign... or very serious, and if the latter time is not your friend. First, you need to positively identify what your problem is. Then you can find out how to fix it, and then try those things. The first suggestion is always to find an ostomy nurse. I'm guessing you either don't have one available or have tried and they're clueless.

So here's what you do... download the book at the link below. It's a picture book of the problems that occur with the skin around the stoma and the stoma itself. Find what looks like what you have and read how to treat it. Many things require a visit to a doc for a prescription, but some don't... just depends on the cause. If you find a couple things that could be it... you'll need to do some testing with your doc friend. I don't have to tell you, but some things, if not treated, can develop into much greater headaches, and/or permanently affect the skin around your stoma negatively... or worse.

So take a look... find what you think you have... and then verify it. Then treat it. Otherwise you're just throwing darts at the dart board with a blindfold on. Which seldom, if ever, gets you a bullseye.

Everyone on here should download this book and either print it out in color, or keep it handy on your hard drive. There's a new version of this book out there now, but it costs a couple hundred dollars if you can find a copy. It's not significantly different from this earlier version, so I consider this version still very worthwhile. No guarantees on how long it will be available for free on the web. Not even sure why it's there now. Get it while you can. Just a friendly warning... what you'll see in this book can get pretty graphic. If you have a weak stomach... you might want your better half to read it and then help you with your problem. Stoma issues are seldom pretty... and when they spread or become systemic... well, you know where I'm going with this. Here you go!

https://idoc.pub/download/abdominal-stomas-and-their-skin-disorders-gen5w75x9xno

;O)

Bob

Sunshine Girl

Thank you for the great resource and information! :)

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ArnietheK
Reply to TerryLT

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try the ceramide-infused pouches you recommend.

ArnietheK
Reply to w30bob

Thanks very much for your response. I will be sure to read the material you have provided. All the best.

betsyb
Reply to Sunshine Girl

I find witch hazel helps to heal my skin irritation. It seems it takes a while for the skin to accept new products. Good luck!

Daisydexter

I use generic Flonase, a liquid steroid marketed for sinuses. I spray it on my fingers, rub around the area that will be covered by the appliance, dry with a blow dryer until dry (only takes about a minute); then spray skin barrier. All my outbreaks of skin irritation have stopped and I can now wear my appliance for 7 days. I saw someone else post this somewhere and it has been a miracle for me.

Pattycakes

For the past 10 years I have been using Convatec AllKare Protective Barrier Wipes (Order No. 037439) with Convatec Eakin Cohesive Seals (Ref 839002) with a one-piece Hollister bag (8291) and they are amazing. They generally last 3+ days. Try calling Convatec for samples to see if they might work for you. (800-422-8811)

The only time I experience itching is when my pant waistbands press against the stoma and stool seeps under the seal.

I hope this helps...

ArnietheK
Reply to Pattycakes

Thanks for the recommendations.

jeanneskindle
Reply to w30bob

Thank you!