Reversal / questions for the Dr.

Replies
Views
Delsol93
Bill

HELLO Delsol93.
Finding answers to questions that are not yet asked can be quite tricky, as with finding the questions to ask in the first place. There should be somewhere we could go to find out what questions to ask and sites like this hold the potential for that sort of resource. However, I suspect that after people have had a successful reversal, they may no longer have a need to remain in touch.
That said, there have been quite a few discussion threads on the subject in the past, which can be found by going to the top of the page and clicking on:--Collections >Premium content > General Knowledge > ostomy reversal (159 topics). 
I hope you find this helpful.

When I was offered a reversal, the only question that ran through my mind was: “Will a reversal be an end to the problems I had before the stoma? In my case the answer was ‘very doubtful’.  So, I thanked the surgeon for the offer and declined. 
Sometimes I wonder if some of these surgeons are simply looking for patients to ‘practice’ on! Surely, these are the sorts of obvious questions they should be asking before contemplating further surgery. 
Anyway, whatever you decide, I hope it all goes well for you.
Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,450 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Delsol93
Reply to Bill

Thanks Bill for taking the time to respond! Actually, that is a good question, "Will it resolve what happened in the first place?" So eager to have it reversed that I may not be looking at the big picture.
Thank you,

John

Renfromtexas

Yep. Me too, just waiting for the surgeon to call for a date to reverse my ileostomy as well. They say they're waiting on paperwork from my other surgeon. I'm just excited to start the surgery and begin healing from the reversal. Ready for the nightmare of ileostomy, cancer, chemotherapy, recovery, and reversal, and hopefully life to begin again. I'll be praying for all of us.

Muna

Hello, and good wishes. 6/3/22 colostomy here. Some things similar to you...diverticulitis had become almost chronic, multiple abscesses, that it took them a long time to find, try to drain, and antibiotics 5 months. 3 months in hospital, 5 weeks in rehab, followed by 6 weeks of home health care. Making great improvements now, but a challenge after that much inactivity and 3 months of TPN. We have had discussions about a reversal, but I cannot face hospital or surgery again, and who knows how things will "work" again. Now I am adapting to bag and happy to feel better.

Perhaps the surgeon's office could connect you with a patient who has had a reversal, after a similar scenario as yours. Whatever you decide, I wish you good health!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Delsol93
Reply to Renfromtexas

Hi Renfromtexas, thanks for the reply. Yes, I wish all of us the best too. I hope you're able to get your reversal too. Good luck! ;John

Delsol93
Reply to Muna

Hi Muna, thanks for taking the time to reply. Wow, your journey has been quite challenging. I hope the best for you. What is "3 months TPM"? Please take care.
John

madart4

Hi DelSol 93, I just had my reversal done last month. The first couple of weeks were harsh, but things are starting to normalize now. In fact, constipation is becoming a recent concern of mine. I am going to reach out to my surgeon. Fun fact about me... I was born and raised in Apopka, lol. How are you doing with your reversal? Would love to hear your story.

Lynn

Delsol93
Reply to madart4

Hi Lynn! Thanks for reading my post. Reversal was the best decision for me. I'm more regular now than I've ever been. So I'm very happy how things turned out. I hope that's how it will be for you too. Please take care and keep us posted on your journey!