Swollen rectum - Seeking solutions for discomfort

Replies
Views
cms1230

I've had a permanent ileostomy for 15 years, with few problems. This year I've developed a very uncomfortable issue with my missing rectum. I hope someone can give me some information that will make it more comfortable. For no reason, the skin around the rectum has developed a swelling, which is painful to sit on, although I use a donut pillow. I saw a colorectal doctor (not the surgeon who retired 2 years ago) who says there's nothing to do except for ice or sitz baths. If anyone else has had this problem, please let me know if you have any other solutions. Thank you all for being there and helping those of us when we need it.

An additional note: I saw my family doctor this week, and mentioned my issue to her. She always has an answer for every problem, even though she doesn't have an ileostomy! She said that she also has this problem when she eats acidic food! She plants tomatoes in the summer, and said that the fresher the tomato, the worse the swelling! She said any acidic food (she included blueberries, citrus, and pasta sauce) will make your rectum swell. So I should keep track of what I eat when I have the swelling. I hope this helps others!

AlexT

If it's an actual donut (best emoji I got for reference, you can use whatever flavor you want) pillow, that may be your issue. Sitting over that hole puts added stress on your scar area. I'd try a different type of cushion and go from there first.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,473 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Meadow Snow

To echo what Alex said, the doughnut may be what's causing the problem. I've instead got a waffle-shaped one at home, like this:

https://amzn.eu/d/bNT38mJ

You could also just type in "waffle air cushion" and it'll come up.

AlexT
Reply to Meadow Snow

I now know there's a waffle emoji for future threads about what to sit on.

Meadow Snow
Reply to AlexT

Use this one to talk about pancaking

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
cms1230
Reply to Meadow Snow

Thank you for replying and sending the link, because I didn't know what a waffle pillow looked like!

I'll get one!