Exercises for Weight Loss with Stoma Bag?

Replies
Views
Elisayuqi

Hi all,

I am new in this forum. Would like to know if anyone here tried losing weight/fats with a stoma bag?

I have my stoma bag on since Sep 2022, I have been putting on since I am discharged from the hospital.

Need your expert advice on what exercises I can do with a stoma bag.

eefyjig

Cardio exercise and resistance training can help you lose weight. Walk, jog, bicycle, and lift weights or use a resistance band for your muscles, and that should help.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,478 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

Hi, your surgery is very recent, so you won't even be fully healed yet. You need to give your body time to heal, at least eight to ten weeks before starting any very vigorous exercise routine, but essentially, you should be able to do most any type of exercise you would have done before your ostomy, with a few caveats. You need to be very careful of core and abdominal exercises, as you are at risk for a hernia as an ostomate. Only gentle abdominal exercises, especially to start. You also need to be cautious about lifting weights, as that will engage your abdominals as well. You can certainly start by walking and even some running, if you are into that, for cardio, but give yourself more time before starting weight and abdominal training. It takes approximately a full year for your body to completely heal from this surgery. Start slow and increase activity gently. Good luck!

Terry

P.S. Another good exercise you can start right away, if you like, is swimming.

Azdancer

Be very careful with any exercises, stop all sugar, bread, and you'll lose without trying. I lost 36 lbs just cutting out those 2 things. You really would need to get a rehab coach if you wanted to exercise, but I would not even think about starting that for at least 6 to 9 months. Also, if you have Instagram, TikTok, or Facebook, follow Mrcolitis Crohns. He has an ileostomy and he was a rehab coach prior to his placement of the ostomy. He also does online coaching for people just like you.

JamesArnod

I agree with Azdancer.....it is food and drink that makes you lose and keep weight off! Exercise will only put you in better physical condition. I weigh exactly the same as I did 50+ years ago, not many people can say that. How did I do that?

Here is how. 1.) Decide what weight you would like to be. (Don't pick a big number maybe 5 to 10 pounds.)

2.) Get a scale and use it every morning before breakfast and write the number down on a calendar.

3.) If you drink booze of any kind, try to cut your consumption to half of your normal every day or no drink every second day.

4.) Cut back on any sweets you eat (again half the amount)

5.) Cut back on breads, fats, and oily foods of any kind

6.) Be sure to drink enough water, many times when a person thinks they are hungry they are really just thirsty.

That will do it, I swear. You will be rewarded in one or a max of two days the pounds will fall off daily.

Once you reach your goal, set a new one in the same manner. You will become much more energetic and if you want to work out, it will be much easier and feel better because you will get toned and stronger.

Have faith in yourself, you and anyone can do this. It is not hard to do once you decide you can.

Jim

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
TerryLT
Reply to JamesArnod

Hi Jim, I agree with much of what you are saying, but unfortunately, not everyone has the same metabolism, and what will work for one person, will not necessarily work for someone else. You can also increase your metabolism by getting into a regular work-out routine, including lots of cardio. Or at least, I should say, some people can increase their metabolism, because I've done it myself. To say that exercise will not help you lose weight is simply not true. Exercise burns calories, and that translates to fat loss. I know this to be the case for myself. Anytime I have been inactive, but maintained the same diet, I will tend to gain weight. As soon as I add in a regular exercise routine, the weight comes off. Practicing a combination of a good diet, along with regular exercise is always the best way to go. I actually weigh less than I did fifty years ago, which I blame for the fact that I had my entire large intestine removed. That sucker must weigh quite a bit!

Cheers,

Terry

JamesArnod

Hi Terry, you got me there buddy. You are correct in most cases, however I was told by a workout guy that when you do cardio and lose fat it is replaced with muscle which doesn't fill as much space but is heavier so it balances out and you really do not lose weight. I actually am a very active 80-year-old. I'm always on the go. My Dr. says he has many 50-year-olds that would be lucky to have my body. I for one sure hope he is right. I actually have more fat now than ever before. I could not get a pinch of fat until I was about 70. Rats....now I can. So how much do you think a large intestine actually weighs..LOL. I do work out at home a bit, no sweat kind of strength workout if you know what I mean. However, with the snow falling for days in a row, I'm getting more of a workout.....need a shower when I'm done shoveling. TAKE CARE. JIM
Where do you live Terry? I used to live both on the Island and North Vancouver, which was our favorite city.

TerryLT
Reply to JamesArnod

Hi Jim, I hadn't noticed you were a fellow Canuck, welcome! I live in Delta, a suburb of Vancouver, just to the south, but have lived all over the metro area over my life. Love the Island too. I've only been to Edmonton once, over 35 years ago. I'm sure your snow shoveling is a good workout! We don't get much of that here, but lots of rain.

Yes, I know the whole "muscle is heavier than fat" thing, but you do still lose weight with the addition of exercise, especially if that exercise is cardio, as cardio doesn't build much muscle. I'm not sure what the average adult intestine weighs, but I'm five to seven pounds lighter than I was pre-ostomy! Seems like a lot, but then, mine was usually full of stool as I suffered from chronic constipation, so there's that.

Terry

p.s. You must be doing something right if your doc says that some 50-year-olds would be lucky to have your body!

Ostomate & woundr

I've had an ileostomy since 2009.  At that time  I weighed 340 lb.  Then last year about the time that I joined MaO I started walking and doing chair aerobics with remarkable results.

Check out my profile pictures I have been loosing weight ever since I joined MaO.

My numbers at the time last year were

5/26/23

bust 56.5";

Under bust band 52.5";

waist 51.5";

hips 55.5";

279lbs

My current numbers are this

4/7/24

Bust 51"

Under bust band 45"

Waist 47"