Stoma Flattening After Hospital Stay

Replies
Views
gairdinspreagtha

I just got out of the hospital two hours ago. Got home and it was time to change my ostomy.

I'm trying not to freak after the last few days but my stoma is flat all of a sudden, even slightly indented.

Is this normal, or related to all the meds they have given me the last 4 days or????

I did leave a message at ostomy

Renfromtexas

Why change it 2 hours afterwards? Mine is terrible looking. Trying to get it to heal for a month now after stoma powder and no sting barrier wipes. Paste. A new smaller wafer. Now after 14 months of never having a leak I'm getting bag leaks. Every other day. The area around my stoma is just horrible. I'm freaking out as well.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

My stoma goes from flat to sticking out about 2 inches depending on the minute, especially when laying down. Oh, and sorry for cutting our chat short the other day, I had someone at the door, dog barking, blah blah blah. Here's what my stoma looks like normally....

gairdinspreagtha
Reply to AlexT

Mine looks similar normally. That's okay about the chat. I needed to eat. Ostomy called back and I told her about the flat, tiny bit of mucus and how it inverted right before gas bubble. She told me that's normal for para something and it's been doing that since I had it. I've never noticed but she's seen it a few times. Since the gas has settled right now it's raised but not to normal height.

Right now they have me on a medication to help manage gallbladder pain, bloating. That's all affecting my whole digestive tract according to ostomy. I'm hoping she's right.

gairdinspreagtha
Reply to Renfromtexas

Today was one of the days I changed it. Before ostomy called, I was looking this up. Is your stoma no longer raised? I read some people have to change to a different barrier for inversion.

I haven't used the powder and I don't use skin prep. Have you tried it on your skin around the stoma?

I truly wish I knew more. Ren, if your insurance will pay, my ostomy clinic is part of the university hospital in San Antonio. I can give you the number to make an appointment with them.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
IGGIE

My stoma was flat after having a parastomal hernia repair, but after using a convex base it has changed to a better size and more manageable. Just persevere and it will come good.

This is the before and after, persevere. Regards IGGIE

gairdinspreagtha
Reply to IGGIE

Thank you. I think it's almost back to normal. I guess the four days in the hospital, new meds and very little food somewhat jacked it up a little.