Small Laceration on Stoma from Bag Pinch - Anyone Else Experienced This?

Replies
Views
jalrein

I accidentally made a small cut/laceration on my stoma from my bag. I pinched my stoma putting on the bag by accident. I used a small cloth to put pressure on it, and it stopped the bleeding. Now that it's healed, it has developed a small bump like a round "cap". Has this happened to anyone? I've been told by my ostomy nurse that it's completely normal and it healed properly. It just scares me to see it, and I'm super careful now. Just wondering if others have experienced this?

AlexT

Never done it, but it sounds like it's healing fine.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ben38

Yes, and as the nurse said, it's normal to heal that way.

Just so you're aware, for the future, over the years to come, your stoma will most likely get more lumps and bumps on it. It's a perfectly normal thing that happens to most of us the longer we have a stoma. But as you have done this time, if worried, always get an ostomy nurse to take a look to be on the safe side.

LetsGoGolfing

It happens - if not from the bag or appliance, from unexpected moments where we run into something, or a dog jumps up on your lap and catches you "just right" (happened to me last month). From my experiences, sometimes just cleaning the skin around your stoma with a soft cotton square can irritate the stoma surface, causing it to bleed and bump up a bit. Generally no big deal and will clear up quickly if you're not on Advil/blood thinners. :)

gairdinspreagtha

I accidentally poked mine with my nail and slightly cut it. Home health looked at it and told me it would be okay and it was.

They did tell me to keep my eye on it but I think it's common.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
elwick

I nicked my stoma with the razor when shaving around it about 10 years ago, that also healed up as a small lump with no other problems.

cagabolsa

Many years ago, I carried a 1st generation Motorola mobile phone with an antenna in my pocket. One day, I emptied my bag and I was in shock. Only fresh blood came out.
I took off my appliance and my stoma was dripping non-stop. My partner called the doctor while I stood in the shower bleeding like a pig and very worried. The family doctor recommended pressing an ice cube against the bleeding, and it worked.
After this event, I realized that I had bent over several times picking up things, and the antenna of my mobile phone had stabbed my stoma from underneath. I don't know what the "scar" looks like because I cannot see it ;)