DIY Stoma Guard Solutions

Replies
Views
Beth22

Has anyone made their own stoma guard/protector? Or anyone know of a good one that doesn't block the flow?

SallyK

Not so far, so I am interested in the answer here as well.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,462 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

The Stoma Guard by StomaGear is what I have, it won't restrict flow. If you think the small-sized one or large-sized one will work for you, I'll make you a smoking deal but you'll need the belt. I use the medium-sized one and you get all 3 sizes when you buy from them.

Bill

Hello Beth 22.

I wasn't quite sure whether to answer your question, because I did not set out to make a stoma guard, but wanted a device that would channel the output away from the stoma and down into the sleeve/bag. 

This was achieved by making my own baseplate with a very slightly protruding wastepipe, onto which I could attach a 90degree bend. This has worked very well for me now for years and, incidentally, acts as a very effective stoma guard. 

I don't think it would be appropriate for everyday use as it protrudes too far out. However. it has been ideal from the early evening (when I irrigate) through the night until morning, when I swap it for a stoma plug, on top of which I stick an inverted plastic cap which also acts as a stoma guard all day. 

Most of my 'stuff' is what I can find in my shed, or what doesn't cost more than a few pence to purchase. I am not bothered about 'fashion' or looking 'good' and I am very confident about telling people about the why's and wherefores of stomas  - if they happen to ask. So, there you have it! These things were not primarily designed as stoma guards, but they quite adequately double-up for that purpose. 

Best wishes

Bill

Beth22
Reply to AlexT

Alex T,

Does it have to sit with your pants over it? Mine just got moved up pretty high. I will try and post a pic.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Beth22

Beth22
Reply to Bill

Hey Bill,

I would love to see a picture. That sounds like a very smart invention. I am not sure it would work for me. It might. I have an ileo. I don't know if that makes a difference with your design. And hey, maybe you should patent your idea.

AlexT
Reply to Beth22

Nope. My pants don't go over my stoma. If you Google the StomaGear one, you can pretty much see what it is and I think there's a video on it too.

Beth22
Reply to AlexT

Cool, I will check it out.

Bill
Reply to Beth22

Hello Beth22. 

I am not sure that I would describe my devices as 'smart' but I do like to think that they are 'functional'. On my profile, there is a picture of my two-belt baseplate with the 90degree bend detached above it in the picture. 
As for whether it might work with an ileostomy, I can see no reason why not, but, as hinted at previously, I find it most beneficial in the evenings and overnight. The bend would be a little bulky for normal daytime use. However, the baseplate is fine on it's own. I have found that by having several different interchangeable devices that can be easily swapped around, the management of my stoma is easier than trying to make one device last longer. My designs, if one can call them that, were made specifically for my own needs and wants. They are like my rhymes, in that I did not produce them with a profit-motive in mind. so anything that you think might be useful to you, please feel free to copy and use for improving your own situation. 

I am a firm believer in trying as many things as possible until we find what suits us best.

Best wishes

Bill 

Beth22
Reply to Bill

Hey Bill,

That looks pretty nifty, and I am sorry if it came out as if I was saying you made it for profit. I was meaning since you had made something that works for you and you have an ostomy, so you know the ins and outs and how it should be. You could, if you wanted to, patent it since it's yours and could benefit others.

And I do like what you have done. I am looking for one I could wear during the daytime but definitely will remember this for nighttime. I really appreciate all your help and sharing with me. Thank you.

AlexT
Reply to Beth22

If you decide you want the 2 guards that I don't use, let me know. We'll figure out how to get them to you. Like I said, you'll need to figure the belt part out but you could make your own or buy a replacement belt from the company.

dscarlos
Reply to Beth22

I wish my stoma could be moved higher or lower. They did my urostomy when I was 16 and was not fully developed and it is at my waistline. I have dealt with it for 51 years but it would be nice to have it moved.

Beth22
Reply to dscarlos

I am really sorry it's so low...

Mine had to be moved. It was such a poor site and it retracted. Then I had a revision and it retracted again, and I could feel my intestines pull and tug so it had to be completely moved.

Do you have leaks and trouble with where yours is at?

Redondo

I found out through Edge Park that it isn't covered under Medicare. They told me that I would need to pay $22.54 for a package of 100. Hope that helps.

Redondo

Hi

I answered before thinking you were looking for a stoma guide and not a stoma guard.

I have used stoma guides for almost 50 years. Edgepark sells them for $22.54.

Beth22

Renando,

It's okay. I appreciate you reaching out anyways.

NurseAnita

Hi Beth, so my question to you is ... what are you wanting protection from? Seat belts? Roller coasters? Kickboxing? What have you tried? There are numerous stoma guards available in the market but unfortunately are not covered by insurance in the USA. Your stoma is located very high so I don't imagine that your waistband is hitting the stoma. If you feel like you keep bumping it - consider the Stoma Dome - it's a little plastic shell that attaches to the pouch with Velcro. One thing I would suggest is to consider wearing your pouch sideways and using either a Stealthbelt or a wrap to support your pouch. Good luck!

Beth22
Reply to NurseAnita

Hi there,

I appreciate your feedback. I am looking to stay protected in general when I am out and about and anything I might do, and I plan to get back to work once all healing is done. I will get a hernia belt too. I have tried the Stealthbelt; unfortunately, it didn't work for me. Yes, it is high up; it was just moved 6 weeks ago. I had a lot of problems with it lower. May I ask why you say sideways? I use a 2-piece adhesive system so I can't turn to empty it.

AlexT
Reply to Beth22

Beth, get me your address and I'll send you these StomaGuards.

gentlejohn

I have a Stoma Protech (https://stoma-protech.com;) I find it a good thing to wear with snug-fitting shorts. I have less discomfort. I wish I was wearing it when I was punched in the stoma area by a 200-pound dog.

Beth22
Reply to AlexT

Alex, don't you need them?

Beth22
Reply to gentlejohn

Ouch!! What happened to your stomach? Did it get punched by a dog?

AlexT
Reply to Beth22

I just use the medium-sized one and the belt. I can send you the large and small ones. You'll have to figure a belt out but it's just a simple elastic one.

Briutz

Hi everyone, it's been six months now since my colostomy and I almost feel as if my stoma and I have been together for many years. I am almost at ease with the situation life has given me. Since my surgery, I've read so many really important, interesting, helpful, life-changing, and quite emotional stories from members of this site who are obviously from all different walks of life and nationalities. However, in terms of living my own new stoma life, I am humble enough to know that my journey has only just begun and the way forward will not be without the plethora of twists and turns that these very pages have kept me up nights reading until the early hours of many mornings. Regardless of my advancing years, I am nothing more than a complete novice regarding helpful advice on the multilayered subject of stoma care, but what I do have is almost an endless catalogue of help and information here in these pages, so I thank you all in advance for the help and useful information I will most certainly need, not forgetting that which I have already had.

Monsieur Le President

I have had an ileostomy for almost 50 years. For 17 years, I played rugby.

I first made a guard from a shallow plastic tray, which I attached to a belt that I always wear with my pouch.

However, it caused problems as it displaced easily, so I only tried it once and found that I didn't get any injuries or damage around that area.

Good luck.