Concerned About Green Bile Output - Is It Normal?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses concerns about green bile output after ostomy surgery and seeks advice on whether it is normal or requires medical attention.
gingerlee54

Hi,

Can anyone tell me about the green bile output?

I notice a grass-green to emerald green color maybe every other day. Is this normal?

Thanks

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Not normal for me. Eat anything different?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
gingerlee54

No, I have my gallbladder. The surgeon did say it's a bit inflamed but no pain. I do notice a lot of greenish output every 2-3 days. I have wondered but neglected to ask.

Finally found a flange that works terrific, sealing around my stoma.. a blessing.

Rose Bud 🌹

I've had my ileostomy for the past 2 years and at times it's green or greenish brown. I was told it was the way food breaks down (more bile) in the output than food. However, I don't have my gallbladder anymore and didn't have it when I got my ostomy. If this is something new for you, I'd keep an eye out with your gallbladder if it's inflamed.

AlexT

Grape Kool-Aid will turn your output green, just an FYI.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Axl

Hello, Ginger.

For me, it's bile. I usually see this when I haven't eaten much and am empty, often in the morning.

Glad to see you have conquered your appliance setup.

TerryLT

Hi Ginger, yes, it's probably bile. If food moves through your system too quickly, sometimes the liver doesn't have time to break down the bile in your stool, and it comes out green. Nothing to worry about.

Terry

infinitycastle52777

I have had green output before but not every other day. I tend to not worry too much about it, I just think at least my body is getting rid of it. Sometimes I even think it is funny. I have had all sorts of colors of output. I drank a blue Powerade and had blue output. I have had swirls of different shades of green and different shades of brown. If you are in pain when this happens I say ask your doctor, but if you are feeling okay, just chalk it up to your stoma doing its job.

Lee