Post-Surgery Mobility Issues: Anyone Else Experience This?

Replies
Views
Harasngo

I am new, this just happened. On top of ostomy I can't walk and my legs stopped working like normal, anyone have that after their surgery?

HenryM

Perhaps not the same as what you're experiencing, but following my surgery, because I'd been in hospital for such a long time, my legs had to get used to me walking on them again.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,366 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SallyK

My surgeon told me that because I had such a major surgery, my body would take from the larger muscles to help heal itself. So my legs were weak for a long time afterwards. I just made sure I was eating extra protein and started walking each day. Wishing you the best.

Rose Bud 🌹

I had that problem, but like Henry, I was in the hospital for a very long time. It really doesn't take very long before your muscles begin weakening if you're on bed rest. I was walking very little, then had to have another surgery and was on bed rest for 2 weeks and had to start all over again. Just remember, it may seem like it will take forever to walk again... for me with everything that happened, it was one thing after another (my hospital stay was 6 months). It took me 4 months to walk again on my own without a walker or IV pole for support. Just don't give up. I was so frustrated at times, but eventually you'll get back to it again!

Ben38

Your legs get weak really quick even after only a few days without walking, just keep getting up even if only to take a few steps at first. Your strength in legs will soon come back.

Did you have an epidural?

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
AlexT

Push yourself to walk. Not only does it get your legs going and strengthens them, but it also gets your digestive tract going.

imsafanwa

I agree with Alex. It can be difficult and painful to get moving again but it is a great help to both the body and the spirit.

Morning glory

I agree with all that has been said. Hang in there.