Carnivore Diet for Weight Loss with Ileostomy

Replies
Views
stevesheid23

M71! Have total colectomy with ileostomy. Had stoma for 14 years! Has anyone with my background tried this diet? Any complications as I need to lose weight!

AlexT

Watch your cholesterol. You may need to take some supplements to make up for what you're losing from the foods you're cutting out. Don't forget, get up and get moving in some way.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,434 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Carnivore is a great diet! It's not Keto, so you can overdo it and gain weight on Carnivore. You really need to understand your metabolism and only eat when your body is truly hungry, and not 3 times a day like we've been brainwashed into believing is correct. Combined with intermittent fasting it's a very smart (and quick) way to lose weight... but you have to be committed to it and follow the rules. Cheating will just make you fatter.

Most roll their eyes at the idea of fasting (I know I did), but there's a groundswell of information out there documenting the benefits, especially with those having medical issues. By fasting, the body has time to heal itself... a long discussion for another day... but if interested you'll find more info on YouTube about it than you want. A truly fascinating subject a bit ahead of its time. Now you got me hungry for a burger!!

;O)

ollieoker

It's funny pre-surgery; ulcerative pan-colitis now ileostomy but anyway haha. I was on a complete plant-based diet. Now I have an ileostomy, I mainly eat nothing but red meat or what I harvest myself hunting or fishing. It seems to keep the perfect consistency for me.

Tangleloft 06

I ate a carnivore diet for several years before my ileostomy.

Now I eat a regular diet, well, almost. I limit wheat, gluten, and dairy, but eat a lot of saturated fats. My PCP and Nephrologist have both said they never seen as high of good cholesterol as mine.

So, I am going to continue as I am.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Per my surgeon:

"Eat whatever you want."

stevesheid23
Reply to AlexT

Thanks

stevesheid23
Reply to ollieoker

Thanks

stevesheid23
Reply to Tangleloft 06

Thanks for the reply! Take care

stevesheid23
Reply to Anonymous

Thanks for the reply

w30bob

Yo Steve-o,

A couple thoughts for you............eating Carnivore, and I mean strictly following the rules, is very hard. It's easy at first, but gets boring very quickly. But if you don't follow all the rules.......you're wasting your time. You also have to be mindful of the fact that just because you're limiting your food choices doesn't mean you can eat as much as you want. You're simply replacing the carbs you ate with meat. So eating a whole cow at one sitting isn't going to help you lose weight. Limit what you eat at each meal to a normal portion size and don't touch any carbs. Yes, there's ways to cheat on Carnivore, but the primary goal is to get the processed carbs out of your body. So if you don't lose weight initially, reduce the total amount of food you eat. Calories in minus calories burned determines your weight. Which means get active! Burn those calories as you ingest them.

I had a friend try Carnivore, but he ate like a glutton. It was hard to watch him eat. And he never did anything except sit around and play on his computer. Once he started eating like a human being again, and got out and walked (and then ran) every day the pounds fell off.

Being an ostomate means part of your bowels are missing............so be mindful of what your body can no longer absorb..........and supplement for that. Sublingual is best, but not everything comes in a sublingual form. Every ostomate should have their micronutrient levels checked at least once a year, and have their supplementation modified so they aren't deficient in any key nutrients. Same goes for you. Now go have a double cheeseburger (but just one) on me. Medium rare please.

;O)

stevesheid23
Reply to AlexT

I know I need to get up and move! Hard to do with spinal stenosis.

stevesheid23
Reply to w30bob

Thanks for the info

stevesheid23
Reply to ollieoker

Thanks for the reply

Twomadogs

G'day from Australia, I follow a Paleo diet, really a way of life rather than a diet. You get all the healthy food you need and lose weight. Feel great.

I have the book by Dr. Loren Cordain, The Paleo Diet. He explains everything in simple terms and it's easy to follow. Don't be fooled by other people jumping on the bandwagon to make money. I just stick to what Dr. Cordain teaches and it works for me.

Cheers and all the best, Ian.