Smelly Bag

In this discussion
Replies
Views
cjsnora_66

I got an ostomy in April of this year due to rectal cancer. I am still trying to figure out the tricks of the trade, so to speak. I'm having problems with my bags smelling bad the day after I change it. The lubrication/deodorizer I use just isn't cutting it. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas for this problem. Please help! I'm very self-conscious around people wondering if they can smell it too.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Kathleen53

I have found that a few drops of peppermint oil dropped inside the bag keeps it from smelling bad. Hope this helps you with the problem.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

I worry about that too. I use the deodorant but wonder if that is enough as well. I had heard a mix of mouthwash and water makes a good deodorant too.

groom4u

Hi there, Hollister M9 drops work great. I've had my ostomy for 17 years and I don't use anything else. Nothing works as good. Express Medical Supply has good prices. Hope this helps.

junopete

I found the Hollister M-9 drops to work. I had to use about 20 drops, which is about twice the recommended amount.

Some of the reason was, I used a roll-up lock bag. A lot of the M-9 would get in the folds of the roll-up and not do any good.

Good luck
Rick.....

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
gutenberg
Speaking of smelly bags; I've had my ileostomy since 2003 and after a lot of trial and error I thought I had all my problems licked, but, in the last two months or so I started getting this smelly odor from my pouch, nowhere could I find a leak so I just started changing pouches every second day, BINGO, then I started getting leaks around the pouch area where the rings meet the pouch, of course the leak would occur at the bottom and I had to flip the pouch up to see underneath and sure enough it was wet so I opened a new box of pouches and the problem went away. I don't know if any of this helps but we're always here to help, remember there is no such thing as a silly question on these forums, keep asking and somebody will come up with an answer, Ed
florida-val

The M9 has worked great for me - the only problem I have is with fish. If I eat fish more than once a week, the smell of fish actually comes through the bag. I have not found that problem with anything else. Lots of drops will help it, but usually I'll end up changing pouches.
Good luck to you - I hope you find the problem and get it solved soon!

Past Member

Like the others who've answered, I use the Hollister M9 drops. They work for me. In the US, Medicare covers ostomy deodorant. The bottle Medicare will pay for each month lasts many months, even with a generous squeeze at each change. I wish they made a solid, dissolving wafer of the same chemicals for carrying in a purse or pocket. In a pinch, a bit of toothpaste works pretty well. Squeeze an inch onto a bit of tissue and drop it in!

jjhallowell
Nurse

Usually, you are the only one who can smell the odor as you may be self-conscious.
To those who do have odorous stools, especially when certain foods are eaten, use
chlorophyll. One or two chlorophyll tablets or chlorophyll liquid taken with each meal may also help, as chlorophyll is a great deodorizer.
They may be found at any health food store and on the internet and are usually inexpensive.
John H. RN Enterostomal Therapist

cagabolsa

I think that catching a good cold and/or developing a sinusitis is an effective way to battle the smell of your baggy you simply won't notice.
I would not give too much importance to this "problem".
We may smell different, but we certainly don't smell worse than others.

How about people with chronic bad breath that constantly want to talk right in your face? That is really disgusting, and none of them seems to worry about that.

LIVE!!!!

lowflyingbs

I don't use anything for odor. I've never noticed an odor with the pouch closed anyway. It's only when I empty it that you obviously get an odor. Never worried about it and not going to start now. Ileostomy for 17 years and still going strong.

lottagelady

There are a few posts on the forum about this already - in a nutshell, I think the most well-liked deodorants were -

Tic Tacs
Eucalyptus sweets/oil
Peppermint oil
Na'scent
M9
Bicarbonate of soda
Mouthwash

Give them all a try and see what suits!
Rach xx

Past Member

Although there appear to be some good "band-aid" fixes here, a good ostomy pouch should never smell (unless being emptied, of course). If your bag has a "filter," it may be leaking odor. If it does, it's time to start looking for a new product. One of the products I used in the past would start smelling within the first day. I switched to Cymed and never smelled any odor from it. I'd try out other products that don't have this defect.

Cas523

Every day I tie a grocery store vegetable bag around my bag because the smell transfers to my pants and it works. I would have to

wash my pants every day because of the smell transferring to my pants. And the next day when I change out my osteomyelitis bag

I have a plastic grocery bag to wrap it in.

Cas523

I find that controlling odor, poop pouring works the best, and it comes in a smaller size that fits easily in my pocket.

warrior

Anyone here heard of using baking powder? Was told it's cheaper and effective.