Can we eat salad? Need ideas!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Past Member

Ok, I had a handful of peanuts. Yummy! I'm fine, nothing wrong. Yipeeeee! I'm so pleased.
The world of food has opened up to me again. As a world traveler (not bragging),
food is very important to me as I don't smoke or drink. I'm going on holiday in March for 6 weeks, so I'm looking forward to it that little bit more now that I know I can eat a whole range of foods. So thank you again everyone for all your advice. No doubt I will have a lot more questions to ask... Maggie.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Congrats Maggie!

Welcome to my world of "living to eat" (as opposed to the old boring adage of eating to live!).

Eat, drink and be merry!

Cheers and happy new year,
Jo x

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Immarsh
Hi all,

We all seem to have our own personal food opinions, and I find it interesting and ironic that we all indulge in salad....when the professionals say "don't". To all new "Ostomates", come here for real life "advice".

Just to let you know, back in November, I was searching for a different kind of salad recipe, since one of my dinner guests requested a salad.

I made a "fabulous" fruit and nut (autumn) salad, with an orange mustard vinaigrette dressing. It had all the ingredients that I was "not supposed to eat", and all went well.

I used mixed greens, romaine. The fruit was cubed apple (with skin), pears, tangerines, dried cranberries, red onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, and nuts (I used cashews). I just brought the same salad to a New Year's Eve party, and it was a hit. I'd use it for lunch, adding grilled sliced chicken. I'm going to experiment with other fruits, pineapple, and some other dried fruit... For those who are hesitant, try each ingredient prior to combining, and try to eat something (like bread) before starting on the salad. Enjoy.
Past Member

Thank you hun, sounds just like my kind of food. I will try that one. I had fried mushrooms (cut small) for the first time since my ileostomy and enjoyed every mouthful. MMMMMMmmm,

I still have one question. I love grapes, can we eat those too? My stoma nurse said no, but you know she said no to all raw food including fruit. So I just thought I'd ask. Thank you again for the recipe.... Maggie

Past Member

Without reading this entire thread, I am going to invoke the golden rule of ostomy: introduce slowly, then observe for any change(s).

And then you'd know if you can eat salad.

Oh, and chew thoroughly. That is all.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

My dear Maggie, haven't you realized by now that a lot, not all, but a lot of their
care is based on how much inconvenience it is going to impose on them? As far as not eating certain foods, they would have you eat nothing but gruel or oatmeal, (easier for them to clean up in case of an accident!)
I know your nurse is going to say, "Alright, listen to your friends, they are all medically trained and know everything" with a touch of sarcasm. Catch the look on her face the next time she has to clean your pouch, remember what I told you.

Jacksprat

lottagelady

I still have one question. I love grapes, can we eat those too?

Maggie - Of course you can!

Try some and see, chew and experiment with it ...... I would say be careful with the pulp of satsumas/oranges etc and pineapple can be a bit dodgy but just 'suck it and see'!

Rach xx

Past Member

Thank you, and Rach, do you eat the skin on the grapes? If not, there's a job for hubby - peeling my grapes, lol.

lottagelady
Well, I do! The last couple of days, I have actually been making yogurt smoothies with my blender and have been putting all sorts in - so even if you find you can't eat something 'whole', you could try just zapping it?

xx
mooza

Agree with everyone here. I was eating a salad while chatting on this site. The person said, "Wish I could do that." Stuff the nurse, they try but I eat anything I want. Don't eat mushrooms because I don't like them. Hahahah! Trial and error, Maree. You just might have helped me. Something I thought food was blocking me, but you said multiple ops, so eight is a lot. Nerve damage pills now. I thought it was food, even though I ate not much on the day. Thanks. Love. Have problems with onions and tzatziki. Spell check still couldn't eat them before ops. There you go, kiddo. Eat and be happy. Toodles, Maree Mooza.

tragicallydave

Re: Salad?

You can't make friends with salad.... You can't make friends with salad....

mooza

I can't talk for everyone but I do eat salads ... I experiment all the time and yes, I have had problems with some food but not for sooooooooo long. If I'm in pain, I lie down for awhile on my side. I have an ileostomy. I ate salad 3 days ago, no problems...

Does anyone have a stomal therapy nurse? Most helpful when I need it. I just call mine up..xx Mooza
beatrice

Got to pipe in ... I can eat lettuce now!!! Any 'sturdier veggie' stuff in the salad doesn't work (blockage) no matter how much I chew.

Ileo in Dec 09 -- had tried eating lettuce after I healed, but no go. About 5 wks ago, I tried again. Eating a couple mouthfuls of Romaine (with feta cheese, a couple croutons and pureed garlic in a dressing - yum). It went down so good and processed well ... amusing to see the lettuce come out almost like it went in - small pieces.

Now I have lettuce salad every night - how I was missing it. I chew really well and enjoy every bite.

Past Member

I was told the same thing and worry is if you have diverticulitis, you may get a seed stuck into a fistula and cause infection and the possibility of tearing the intestine, which is what happened to me. 16 months later, I now eat just about everything and have had no problems with the exception of excessive gas. Popcorn, which I love, I have tried only a couple of times with resulting regrets. It is hard to digest, and the husk, which is the bandit, has gotten stuck, causing some bleeding and major discomfort for me until all of it has passed, and that can be several days for me. I am just going to have to give it up. Eat well, chew well, drink a lot of fluids (something I am neglectful to do), and try things in very small amounts and try to enjoy as much as you can.

boatlady21

The only thing I was told not to eat, or should I say swallow, was a whole pickled onion as it could cause a blockage.
I eat everything I like - salads, curries, everything. You learn what gives you problems over time. I like cheese, but don't eat it if I am going to visit people the next day as the odor is, well, just disgusting.
I had my ostomy in 1986, so I'm well used to it now. Everything is second nature.

Williamjefferson

Before our ileostomy, we did not notice the food that passed through our intestines. I feel the only thing missing is my large bowel. Food had to go through the small intestine then, so why not now? I eat everything now that I did before. I do chew my food better after a blockage that was really caused by an adhesion wrapped around my intestine. I had to eat a lot of kidney beans, and they were blocked. I had to have surgery, and the doctor told me that the adhesion had closed my intestine to the size of a pencil. After surgery, out came the beans. I still eat them but make sure I chew them up well. No other problems. I love taco salads, corn on the cob, mushrooms, and all veggies. I can also eat popcorn by the bowlful. We are all a family, and we know best about each other as we have been there and done that. I love my fellow ostomates. Thank you to all.

DianeRaven

I eat salad, vegetables, etc. I think it's trial and error. "Bag Ladies" [Stoma Nurses] don't know everything.....

Past Member

Last evening, I had a huge (for me) chicken stir fry. Crunchy bean sprouts, peppers, cabbage strips, grated mushrooms, carrots - everything forbidden in there. I sat back and waited for the explosion to happen all evening, slept very lightly in case the bedclothes needed changing, and lo and behold, to think I got away with no "trouble". Amazing. However, I still have not tried lettuce.

Stef

Hi, I've had mine since January. I was told the same, but over the last few weeks, I've tried different things out to see what happens. I had complications with mine and ended up in the hospital for 3 months; it stopped working. I can't have dairy or gluten since I had the operation. Onions ran straight through me. I eat apples and peaches without skin, no problem. I tried lettuce last week and had no problems. I also use Lomotil, which helps me big time. I don't have to empty the bag half as much anymore.