Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,285 members

CLEANING POUCH AFTER EMPTYING?

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:52 am
HI OSTIES,  

HAVE CHANGED TO A HOLLISTER POUCH THIS WEEK.   HOW ON EARTH DO YOU GO ABOUT EMPTYING THIS AND WIPE IT CLEAN AFTERWARDS? .   I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO CLEAN THE POUCH.   BECAUSE OF MY ARTHRITIC FINGERS I HAVE TROUBLE OPENING THE END TO CLEAN IT PROPERLY.   I'VE BEEN GETTING IN A RIGHT OLD PICKLE!!!!! .

I HAVEN'T BEEN OUT SINCE USING THIS AS I DON'T FEEL 'SAFE'  .   I HAVE SUCH A RUNNY OUTPUT MOST OF THE TIME.   I CAN'T USE THE THICKENING AGENTS BECAUSE SEVERAL TIMES A DAY I HAVE WHAT I CALL A STRAWBALL! (VERY THICK AND LUMPY FAECES) .  THANKS FOR READING MY PLEA.   XX  SKEETER
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:07 am
Once you get it open, maybe rinsing it out with water? Of course, if you build up enough confidence, you might need to bring some sort of vessel with you in the event you need to empty should you venture out into the world.
Reply by Primeboy, on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:14 pm
Hi Skeeter. Talk with your Hollister rep about using the New Image 18013 High Output drainable pouch. This is perfect for runny output. Cleaning the opening is a not a problem since there is no clip, only an attached plug. I used both clips and plugs, and this model is by far much easier and more sanitary. Try it. You'll like it.
Reply by Xerxes, on Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:16 pm
Prime_

I have used the convatec high output pouch which also has the drain rather than a clip. I have found, however, that if the fecal material thickens (based on diet) during the course of the day it becomes extremely difficult emptying the pouch as squeezing the "stuff" through becomes next to impossible. Have you encountered this with the high output Hollister pouch that you describe. I usually end up having to cut off the ending and replace it with a clip. Take care Prime_.

X_
Reply by Primeboy, on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:11 pm
Xerxes, this device works if your output is liquid. Otherwise, you will have no choice but to cut off the end and use a clip. It probably works better with ostomates having ileos.
Reply by The Bag, on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:52 am
Hey there...suggestion that I swear by. I carry a small pouch, compliments of The Cleveland Clinic. It contains a small water bottle and a turkey baster. Never leave home without it.
I fill the bottle with water, prepare my toiletpaper, dump my bag, squirt water a few times in "The Bag" swish it around and dump, wipe, fold, seal and off I go. Also, I do put t.p. in the toilet, I call that the catcher, this way when the $hit hits the water you don't get splashed with $hit. This has worked for almost 2 years March 30th.
OSTOMATES RULE!!
Reply by teddyj9, on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:55 am
Hi Skeeter
I also have a HOLIster ileo with a clip.  I turn up a cuff before emptying, and then wrap tp around a finger and clean the inside of the cuff . then I reverse the cuff and reclose.
I also put a few drops of odor eliminator in the bag before closing it. ( I use "M9")
Reply by Immarsh, on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:13 pm
Hi Skeeter,

In all the 40+ years, I've had an ileostomy, I think I've tried every approach to cleaning the spout.  

A friend always carries a cup with and takes water into the stall, to flush out and wipe down the spout.     I tried that in the early years, and found it too much of a hastle.  

I used to fold over the spout end before emptying, but that became difficult when the pouches became disposable.  I found it time consuming to fold, and too easy to rip the spout.  

With my ileostomy, I can go between very liquid out put, to very firm....depending what I eat, so the plug isn't a solution for me.  

Basically, I give no thought to the issue.  I put T.P into the bowl  to control  the "Splash".  
After emtying, I use my finger on oposite sides of the spout to "push back any waste back into the pouch.  I then taked a thick wad of Toilet tissue, and fit it into the spout, and give a good "turn around swipe".  Sometimes, if output is gooey, I have to do it twice.  That's it.  I use a clip.  If you really feel uncomfortable,  wet and squeeze out a paper towel at the sink, before going into the stall.  In a private home, just use some wet toilet paper.  It works.  

Good post people....and good luck.  Just remember to wash your hands after.  We learned that in kindergarten.   :))
Reply by Teddi Bear, on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:11 pm
Welllllll...all the new appliances I use have a "roll-up" FLAT drainage, with varying type of velcro fastener.  A firm few wipes on the flattened edge leave it really clean and dry.  I have also used wet "baby Wipes" or the wet toilet tissues you can buy that come in boxes.  I could not be doing with carrying bottles of water, or, for goodness sake, a turkey "baster" with me?  What would you say if someone saw that in your handbag? lol

You can get small packs of wet wipes you can carry around with you.  I certainly don't "wash out" disposable bags, as I change them every 2-3 days - and washing them out would affect their adherence, as the water would go into the stoma area where it is crucial that the bag sticks...surely?

I am currently in the process of trying the FAIRLY New DANSAC Novalife.  It sits "lower" on the abdomen, so you can't see the top of the bag poking out of the top of waistbands.  They are GREAT...and I can even wear "low rise" jeans with them.  The outlet is fantastic....very flat, roll up 4 times and velcro fold down fastener, so it is very secure.  It is SO comfortable, being a lower fit, that I cant feel Ive got it on...especially when bending down, etc.  Hope you folks in USA can get DANSAC appliances?
Reply by lottagelady, on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:12 pm
One little tip I picked up somewhere re the Hollister bag, was to put a crease in the end (in the open position) before you first apply it to allow it to open more easily once it is in use. Not sure that makes sense? Using a pouch lubricant would help too?

This video explains it much better and it seems to be a Hollister pouch ..... Hope this works ...?

When you roll it up to close it, you have to press down so that it locks to a velcro-like seal. It’s not really velcro; it’s some kind of hard plastic that interlocks - press it until it sort of 'clicks'.  I have never had a problem with this closure, except for once when my sticky sanitary towel stuck to the end of it and opened it without my knowledge whilst I was sat having a pee - I stood up to find the whole thing had emptied itself inside my trouser leg and was running merrily into my shoe! So beware the adhesive on sanitary wear!!!

Good luck! Rach xxx
Reply by Teddi Bear, on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:29 pm
As the previous reviewer, I have had one of the "roll up" fasteners (that Hollister use - as   seen in the video on the previous review), roll  "down" on me.  HOW embarrassing!!  I was wearing a pair of jeans, which must have "rubbed" the roll up fastening, so it opened.  I was out at the time, and fortunately had not much content in the bag, but some content DID come out of the bottom....as I realised with HORROR as I felt this wet feeling inside my jeans.  You will see from the video above, how the fastener just "rolls up".  As you can imagine, a few "rubs" and it will open up and quickly "roll down"m leaving you in a right mess.

I had to race to the loo and "mop up" as best as I could with tissues and water, in the "Disabled Toilet".  I had to make excuses to my friends that someone had bumped into me and spilt a drink down me!!  I sent an email to Hollister, COMPLAINING about this REDICULOUS fastener.....as it did roll down on me a few times after....fortunately, while I was at home - still made such a mess though!!.  My brother, who also has an Ileostomy faced the same problem on more than one occasion and stopped wearing Hollister.  I heard nothing from Hollister.

I have now changed to using a fantastic DANSAC Novalife appliance, which sits LOW on the abdomen, despite having the same size flange attached (I use a one piece, drainable).  The fastener on this one is 100 per cent safe.  Hollister has lost a customer because of the stupid fastener on their otherwise quite good appliances.
Reply by keysgirl, on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:10 am
Hi,

I have a colostomy, so I'm not sure how this would work with an ileo.  I use a closed-end pouch and use the Colo-Majic disposible pouch liners.  When it's time to empty the bag you just pull the liner out of the pouch and flush down the toilet (can't flush in septic tanks). my stools are always solid, but if I do a laxative it can be liquidy and it works just the same way. You just have to be careful not to spill the contents.  It's very easy to quickly put in another liner, which you can carry in a pocket or purse very easily, as they are about the size of a small folding sandwich bag.I never have to clean out a pouch, and I can use the same pouch up to 3 days.  

I HIGHLY recommend at least trying them.  Most distributers will send you a couple to try.  I get mine from C&M Ostomy Supplies for about $70 for 300 liners.  Google Colo-Majic disposible pouch liners and compare prices and learn more.

Peace & Love in the Universe,

Sadiqah
Reply by manbag, on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:11 pm
I GOT MY BAG ON 7-10 09 AND I HAVE HAD ALOT OF UPS AND DOWNS. BUT NOW I CARRY A 20 OZ. POP BOTTLE FULL OF WATER WITH ME WHERE EVER I GO . I PUT PAPER IN THE STOOL TO CONTROL THE SPLASH. I US ABOUT 1/3 FOR EACH RINSE. BY THE THIRD TIME IT IS CLEAN. I ALSO HAVE A SMALL VENT THAT PUT ON YHE BAG. I USED GLUE TO MY BAG AND TAKE A SHARP WHAT EVER TO POKE A HOLE IN TO BAG SO I CAN VENT IT. BUT I HAD TROUBLE  WITH THE HOLE GETTING PLUGED WITH THOSE HANGING CHADS. SO NOW I USE DRILL ASND PUT A BIT IN THE RIGHT SIZE AND DRIL BABY DRILLAND IT WORKS SUPER
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:34 pm
Hi again, I contacted the Hollister rep, but it isn't available over here.
Thanks for trying to help.
     regards

Primeboy wrote:
Hi Skeeter. Talk with your Hollister rep about using the New Image 18013 High Output drainable pouch. This is perfect for runny output. Cleaning the opening is a not a problem since there is no clip, only an attached plug. I used both clips and plugs, and this model is by far much easier and more sanitary. Try it. You'll like it.
Reply by Frenchie55, on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:01 pm
Hi Skeeter,
I use Coloplast 1 pc assura that attaches with velcro and find it very easy to empty.  I open the bottom, drain it and wipe the top of the closing and if I'm home I empty a little water and swish it around and empty and wipe the top part.

Frenchie
Reply by valleyjohn, on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:10 pm
Why on earth would you want to clean the INSIDE of your bag?   Just open it, drain, wipe the  outside end with paper, c,ose it up with the clip
As an aside, the cliptype bag empies much easier than the Velcro ones, which have lips on the  end
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.