Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 20,350 members

Surgery cut into old scar tissue?

Posted by warmknight, on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:12 am
I have crohns and had a colostomy 2 years ago.  Since then the crohns has spread to the remaining tranverse colon and is not responding to medication.
One option is to reverse the colostomy, remove the remaining colon and have a permanent ilieostomy.
The surgery would require cutting through existing scar tissue from my previous surgery.  What are the chances of the wounds healing properley when cut into old scar tissue?
many thanks
Steve
Reply by steadychic, on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:39 am
Hi Steve  I've been cut 4 times same spot from belly button to the pubic bone. No problems at all.  Good Luck  Steady
Reply by junopete, on Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:49 pm
I was opened from below the navel to my breast bone in 1996.  Then the along the exact same scar line 6 more times in 2007.  I couldn't believe it. It just kept right on healing just fine.

I suggested to the doctor putting in a zipper!

Good luck

Rick.....
Reply by warmknight, on Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:04 pm
Thanks for getting back to me Rick.  You certainly could have done with a zipper.  I'm feel more at ease with the surgery option now knowing that they can cut into my existing grooves!
Many thanks
Steve
Reply by warmknight, on Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:06 pm
Thanks for getting back to me Steady.  I'm feel more at ease with the surgery option now knowing that they can cut into my existing grooves!
Many thanks
Steve
Reply by junopete, on Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:43 pm
Steve, correction the 6 were in 2008.  don't know how I missed that.  As it was not one of my best years!  09 and 010 were good years, I was recovering.

My last surgery was Dec. 18, 2008.  I went out dancing on new years eve a few weeks later.
I only lasted about 45 minutes at the dance, but I went.  As I remember I danced one dance kind of slow motion as it were.

I wanted to tell you what my surgeon told me in early January this year.  I mentioned to him, "well doctor its been just over 2 years sinse I was last on the table, I suppose where I am now is where I will always be".  He told me absolutely no way.  I had so many surgrurys in about a years time it will take my body 4 to 5 years to completely normalize to what has been done.

He has been right, very subtle changes seem to occur for the good.  It takes me months to really notice things are just a wee bit better.  But they are.

I hope that holds true to all who are on this site, or for that matter anyone going through problems with their body, or mind.

Things for you will go well, keep the positive attitude, keep the dream alive.

Good luck

Rick.....
Reply by WOUNDED DOE, on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:43 am
Five Crohn's surgeries and a hernia repair surgery done on me ....they cut over the same scar each time.....healed just peachy SmileSmileSmile  no problems at all, in fact, the last surgery the "sliced" off old scar tissue that was a bit old and raised .....scar from belly button all the way down but not that noticable at all.....amazing SmileSmile  don't worry bro, all will be just fine SmileSmile
Lin
Reply by Lin, on Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:30 pm
I also have had 3 surgeries in the same place-bellybutton to just past the pubic bone and the only thing I have noticed is the scar is wider and no feeling around most of the  scar,no problem with healing.
Reply by littlejo, on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:12 pm
Hi Warmknight, just read your post, I have had the same scar opened 6 times, the 5th time it was left open to heal, due to Peritonitis and all healed up fine, having seen my belly look like a piece of meat on a butchers slab it was amazing to see how quickly it healed over, improved every day, the body has amazing healing powers.
Keep well
Jo
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.