Success! Ileostomy Reversed - No More Bags!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice on living with an ileostomy and the process of reversing it, providing support and insights for those considering or undergoing the same procedure.
MJMuraco

Well everyone, I'm home recuperating from my fourth surgery in six months and had my ileostomy reversed. I was really nervous about this surgery because every time before that I went in to surgery, I came out disappointed. My first surgery in September was to remove the damaged colon done laparoscopically without a colostomy. I came home after three days and on the fifth day, I ended up back in the hospital for emergency surgery as it had erupted. I ended up with a colostomy. In February, I went in for surgery to reverse the colostomy and I came out with a temporary ileostomy. This time the ileostomy is reversed and so far no bags so I'm hopeful that this is the last of my surgeries. I must say that given the choice of a colostomy versus an ileostomy, I would take the colostomy. The ileostomy bag needs to be cleaned and emptied so much more often and is more uncomfortable. I do realize that these bags were necessary and saved my life. I feel weird not having a bag anymore as I had finally gotten somewhat used to it. What I want to say is that this site helped me understand and deal with a difficult time in my life and all of you have been wonderful with your advice and tips. I am a different person from what I have experienced and have a much greater appreciation of what people go through when they have illness and disabilities. I also know that illness makes us stronger and more resilient to the everyday annoyances of life. All little things seem less important after experiencing the serious things that can happen to one's body. I'm still trying to get regular as I go back and forth between the runs and constipation. This is normal and hopefully, my body will adjust. I have pain where the incision site is but am managing well otherwise. I hope to go back to work in four weeks. I now know that I'm stronger than I ever knew I was and that I could live and adjust to anything. Life is good and appreciate every day, no matter how much your body fights you. Mary Jayne

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mooza

WooHOOO for you, MJ! I'm sooo happy for you. And with saying you are a different person, I can relate BIG TIME. Even though I do volunteer work, I'm surrounded by people with colostomies. When I found out what they could do (not wear a pouch) 24/7, I must say I was devastated to hear, and my green eyes went greener. LOL! They mostly irrigate and wear small little plugs and tiny little caps on the stoma. I would kill to have been this fortunate, but I sometimes think somebody has thrown the BAD LUCK my way time after time. I bet you have become a better person as you have been there, done that kinda thing. And after my few reversals, I felt free. But my Crohn's just ruined my large intestine in all different sections. The only thing I did find hard being pouch-free after my operation was in a lot of pain, so I had to do the LOO-toilet runs. And that was painful to have to get up with the pain but needing that urgency. I had no choice of kicking back and healing. I'm soooo happy for you. Just 3 and a bit weeks ago, I had my 9th operation for hernia repairs. Let's say I'm smiling for you. To all the colostomy people compared to the urostomy and ileo people, you really do have the best, hopefully, of stomas. I know about some of the problems the colostomy community does have, but for sure, you got the better deal. As I know on here, colostomy comparison, you see the huge difference. I have no chance EVA to be reversed now, but I am screwy, funny, and plain right loopy sometimes. But I must say my headspace isn't always in the right place. Wishing you the best of what life throws at you and the great times ahead. You get to go back to work and get on with it all. :) xx Mooza xx Aust.... :D

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
bag_n_drag

Mary Jayne- Hello! And 1) Thank God everything went well! And 2) Yay! :) It is so glad to see you here again....alive, kickin', and bagless! I know what you mean about not having the bag and it feeling weird......I still, after 8 weeks now, find myself checking over at the old stoma site to see if I need a bag change. When I go out, the first thing I think is gotta check the bag first! I had my ileostomy for 13 months and it did become an old friend....once I made peace with it. I know that if I have to have a permanent one in the future, I will be able to accept it and continue to live my life to the fullest. But for now, I am thankful for the successful reversal and am still working on tweaking the bathroom trips.....I am happy to report that they are lessening just a little bit. I'll take it for now! :) I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you continue your journey towards recovery! Blessings! Darla

Yukon steve

I'm glad to hear you are doing well, MJ. Your story is the same as mine, almost (I did not have the ostomy). I hope you continue to heal. I find a positive attitude helps me, and believe it or not, you can find moments of humor in anything to keep your spirits up. Stephen

MJMuraco

It's been a little over a week and I'm still bag free. I have a lot of pain in my abdomen near the stoma site that hurts a lot when I move. If I just lay in bed, no pain but try and do anything and it stings. Have any of you experienced this? I'm seeing my surgeon tomorrow to hopefully get my staples out and make sure everything is OK. Thanks for all of your encouragement and support.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Yukon steve

When you move, it is the staples pulling that you feel. I experienced this, and as soon as the staples were removed, it went away. Take care, Stephen.

dandare

Mary Jane!!! Well done, well done!!! I'm delighted you're well on the road to recovery right now. Don't worry, all those pains and bouts of the runs versus constipation will all calm down. Just be patient and all will be well. You're well on your way now and I hope your visit with the surgeon went well and he/she is happy with your progress. Please do keep us posted as to how things go. So, God bless and take good care, Colm

MJMuraco

I went to my surgeon yesterday and he said I'm doing well. I still have pain near the incision, but he told me just to take it easy when I feel pain and that this is normal. I can start eating a little fiber to help with the constipation. I want to go back to work by mid-April because I'm paying for my own health insurance, and without an income, this is tough. He wants to see me in ten days before he will OK returning to work. I don't want to mess anything up going back too soon, but I do need to earn money. If I go back by April 15th, it will mean 4 weeks of recovery from this last surgery. Is that too soon, or do you think I'll be OK as long as I'm feeling well?

bag_n_drag

Mary Jayne - I think it depends on what you do... If you have a desk job, I would think that it would be okay so long as you gave yourself several stretch breaks throughout the day... If you stand all day and/or lift things, that may be another story. Be very careful, but assertive, regarding your recovery over the next 10 days and then present your case to your doc when you return for a follow-up. With prudence, prayer, and a little luck ;) he may very well give you the green light to return to work! So glad things are progressing for you! As Colm said, please keep us posted! Blessings! Darla

Yukon steve

I think your body will let you know when it is time to return to work. In my case, though, it will be an entirely new vocation. All my skills require a lot of hard physical labor. With my heart condition and now the large incision on my abdomen, coupled with being prone to hernias since birth, I may never work again at my trades. I just sent my application to our local visitor reception center as they have several openings, so I will try a season of this and see if I like it. I know I will be able to handle the standing for most of the day, and I have a good knowledge of the local area and its history. I hope you continue on your recovery and will be able to return to work as soon as you can, but do not push yourself. I'm sure that you will be just fine. Best wishes, Stephen.

MJMuraco

I'm a car sales consultant selling Toyotas, so a lot of my job is at the desk in my office working with customers. I do have to walk quite a bit to get cars for test drives and walk the lot with people. I had a lot of help last time I worked after surgery from my lot guys, but I hate always asking for help. I want to be able to do the job, but I know the hours are tough. I work twelve-hour days sometimes, and that is tiring even when you are healthy. I'm gonna see how I feel by next week, and hopefully my surgeon will think I can handle work. Thanks for all of your support. Mary Jayne

Yukon steve

I think you should be alright as two weeks after I came home, I was walking 1 mile each day with my dog and now I cross-country ski 12km every morning. You might want to go slow and be careful getting in and out of vehicles. My doctor told me that moderate exercise is good, and he has me doing sit-ups every morning now to help strengthen my abdominal muscles. Just start with a couple and do them real slow, and if you feel too much stretch, stop. I always did twenty-five each morning as they help the lower back. I started again two weeks ago and am up to 10 each morning. Stephen

Yukon steve

I haven't been on for a few days, just wishing you well. It looks like spring here in the Yukon. I go in for a cystoscopy tomorrow, then I will stock up on groceries and stay home until my driveway dries up. Take care and heal, Stephen.

MJMuraco

Just checking in and very happy to say that my surgeon has given me the OK to return to work on May 1st. I had wanted to be back by now but I thought about everything I've been through and decided not to rush it. I still get sore if I am on my feet and tire easily. He advised me to take the extra few weeks so I'll feel really good when I go to work. All is going well and again, thank you for all of your support. Write me anytime because even though I'm no longer officially an ostomate, I'll never forget any of you and want to know how you are all doing.

bag_n_drag

MJ- Yaaaay on your progress report and return to work date! I know it has been difficult for you to wait it out; but methinks you have definitely made a wise decision.....this way you will be able to bounce back quickly when you return to the workforce! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you continue your journey towards recovery.....I, too, am doing well and was actually able to take a road trip this past weekend and enjoy some time away! :) This was my first real outing in a VERY long time. We are indeed blessed to be doing well in our recoveries. Please keep us posted on your progress. Blessings-Darla

dandare

Wonderful news, MJ. I'm delighted to hear your progress. I'm afraid I've been offline for a few weeks now trying to catch up on my own work on the farm. And as it's spring, it's a very busy time right now. I shouldn't complain as I'm able to manage most things once more and for this, I'm ever grateful. Just taking things as I can manage and I'm just about keeping on top of it. Like your good self, I've found this site one fantastic help during my journey. So take it easy and don't rush things too much! Take good care, Colm

MJMuraco

Thanks everyone for all of your kind words. I'll keep in touch even when I go back to work as I'll never forget all of you.