Troubleshooting Adhesive and Leaking Issues with Colostomy Bag

Replies
Views
Virgo68

Hello again. I'm still fairly new with a colostomy and always have questions. I'm using Adapt barrier rings for my Hollister bag but it still leaks under the ring. I've tried the thicker one and also the slim, and even the paste. Is there a better barrier ring? Besides it still leaking under the barrier, I'm having a hard time getting the "glued" adhesive off my skin. Other than the adhesive remover wipes and scraping it off with my nails, what else can I try to remove it?

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm going to try different brands and see what happens. It's so nice to hear from everyone on this site.

Beth22

Coloplast makes barrier rings, ConvaTec makes barrier rings, Safe n Simple and a few others. Do you leak with the wafers you have now? If so, I would try another brand and see if it works better. You can call the companies and ask for samples.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,471 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CrappyColon

Have you tried any other brands besides Hollister? Do you have access to an ostomy nurse?

Virgo68
Reply to Beth22

I haven't tried any other brands yet, but was looking here to see who might have better suggestions. I'll try getting some samples to see if they work better. Is there a brand that you prefer? Thanks.

Virgo68
Reply to CrappyColon

Yes, I can probably ask my ostomy nurse but I always feel like I'm bothering her too much.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Daisy2023

The brand they gave me is called Salts. I have only tried that one. I'm still figuring stuff out too though so can't say I have one I prefer as that's the only one I tried.

Beth22
Reply to Virgo68

I use Coloplast.

AlexT

Try an Eakin ring or StomaWrap. To get the sticky stuff off easier, use remover spray and then a wipe.

CrappyColon
Reply to Virgo68

That's what they are there for though. There's at least one ostomy nurse on here. I don't see her online right now though.

CrappyColon

I can email her if you'd like.

xnine

Of all the rings I have tried, Salts lasts the longest. If a bit of the ring does not come off, just put a new ring on top. Make sure you are dry before putting a new ring on.

LFBlas

Eakin is the best! And try using 3M 5050 adhesive protectant wand. The wipes don't work as well. Amazon sells them for $17, which is ridiculous, but sometimes I'll do anything. They seem to have a shortage though. I haven't been able to find them, so I bought the Eakin paste adhesive. So far, so good. I have a whole other set of problems with a rash that sometimes weeps or blisters, so nothing sticks. I've tried it all, so let me know if you need more help.

Ostomate & woundr

Well, I am an ostomy nurse and I would much rather that my patients bother me for something like this than wait until their skin breaks down and we've got an emergency and a much more difficult situation.

Depending on the size and shape of your ostomy, one of the things I know about the Convatec brand is that they have purchased a product called Eakin seal which has a proprietary formula that includes Karaya powder or stoma powder. Unlike talcum or baking soda, Karaya powder is made from the Chickle tree from which we get chewing gum. It is extremely absorbent and forms a very sticky gum-like texture when layered with plain water. They now make a product called stoma wrap which isn't a complete circle. You make it into one. It looks kind of like an oval that's open at one side, but you can wrap it however you like, that's the point.

Further regarding ostomy nurses, remember we're used to dealing with new ostomates. We're used to dealing with all of their fears and concerns, and leaks are a number one concern among every ostomate. I had only to look at this site to reinforce that thought.

I'd be interested to hear if you tried other products as well and which works best for you.

AlexT
Reply to Ostomate & woundr

Or read my post for the short version. Do you use a low heat source to warm things up for a better seal?

Riva

All excellent suggestions. Also, when cleaning the skin, do not use soap with oils in them. Dial or Ivory seem to work best for me. Good luck. Ask away. We're here for you.

Virgo68
Reply to CrappyColon

Thank you. An ostomy nurse replied to my questions here but not sure if she is the one you suggested. I love this site and everyone helps so much.

Virgo68
Reply to Ostomate & woundr

Thank you so much for all the information. I've bothered my ostomy nurse a lot and even went to see her not too long ago to make sure I was doing things correctly. I love this site for all the sharing and answers.

Justbreathe
Reply to LFBlas

For rash (especially around stoma) but I have used it on surrounding skin as well - I use Calazime Skin Protectant - it works almost overnight for me. May not be the same for you but might be worth a try. I put a thin layer of the Calazime on my skin then apply stoma powder on top (a dusting) and then use a barrier wipe (tap don't wipe on top of that). I've never had a leak with this procedure (knock on wood) but again we are all different.

Beth22
Reply to Justbreathe

Is it greasy?

Justbreathe

I would describe it as pasty but smooth - I definitely would use stoma powder and barrier over that.
Here is a picture of the backside of the tube with ingredients listed. I see white petroleum (Vaseline) as 69. I would consider this as a bit greasy, which is the reason I use both stoma powder and barrier over it.

IGGIE

G'day Vergo68, I use Welland seals part number WBF060 precut to 30mm. I have never had a leak up to now. I only use warm water and dry very well after, no creams or powder. Good luck. Regards, IGGIE

Beth22
Reply to Justbreathe

And it doesn't compromise your seal at all with the powder, I believe you have found that loophole with this type of product .. Thank you. I just think I might try it.

Justbreathe
Reply to Beth22

If you do try it, remember 3 steps

Thin layer of calazime
Dusting of stoma powder on top
Tap (or spray might work too) barrier on top

;
Beth22

Okie dokie..

anyark

Hi Virgo...

Leaks are so frustrating! I also use Hollister, the 2 pc one. I use Perfect Choice rings because I find them more pliable, and found a method that works for me. First, I make sure my skin is clean, free of any oils, chemicals, etc. and dry. Once I've done that, I put the ring around my stoma, making sure that it completely abuts it. I then press down a bit. Next, I apply the wafer and walk my finger around my stoma a few times, firmly pressing down to be sure the ring is really attached to my skin. I put the bag on and hold my hands snugly over it to help activate the adhesive. Hope this helps.

It's trial and error, but we eventually figure it out. As someone suggested, a WOCN might also be able to help.

With peace, anyark

Syd34

I use Salts Alo Rings, they are the best I have tried since my colostomy a year ago. I use barrier wipes first then put the ring around the stoma. You can cut the rings to form them around the stoma if you wish. It works for me the best I have tried, mind you all these rings leave a residue on your skin and the best way to clean them is to use the barrier wipes.

paulaAZ

I am a devoted Perfect Choice user. Since starting with those some 3 months after my ileostomy in 2015, I have not had any issues with leaks. Not to say I haven't had a blowout here and there, but nothing catastrophic by any means. I also use Sure Seal just to make sure if there is any leak/blowout, it is pretty much self-contained until I can get it changed. I use the same method as Anyark with the exception of putting on the Sure Seal before I attach the bag ... I also use Hollister two-piece appliance.

As far as removing the adhesion remains, I will use Sensi-Care Spray when I remove the Sure Seal and wafer/barrier ring and then use the Sensi-Care wipes to remove the rest of the adhesive materials. That usually works for all of it. I will then just wipe with a wet wipe to freshen up if I don't take my shower with the appliance off when I change. The Sensi-Care does not have any lotions or anything that would make the adhesion of the new barrier ring/wafer less effective. I just like the feeling of the wet wipe after cleaning everything off.

I hope this helps. Like I said, Perfect Choice is what really works for me.

Paula

Kathy
Reply to Virgo68

I would try Eakin rings. Try the slim. They are the only ones that work for me. Don't worry about removing the leftover adhesive. Just take off what you can and stick the new flange overtop. Good wishes!

Connie

Mark B

Hi Virgo68, if you're using a flat type of barrier I suggest trying a convex barrier + a belt. I've found the convex barrier to be much more secure and I don't need to use paste or rings.

Good luck,

Mark

Redondo

I used to use Adapt and then went back to Eakin seals. I also use an Adhesive Cleaner made by NuHope. Edgepark (Item #792410). It's a 16oz bottle and I can only get one every 90 days. I have to pay for it and Edgepark submits the claim for it, and Medicare eventually reimburses me. It's very gentle on the skin but the best way to get the paste off my skin.

Hope that helps.