Ostomy Belt: Seeking Comfort and Advice

Replies
Views
Sunshinealot

My nurse put me in an ostomy belt and I find it very uncomfortable... What are the reasons for a belt... Any advice would be appreciated.

AlexT

To direct more pressure onto the sticky part of your bag so it seals/holds better. Could also be for support to prevent a hernia depending on what type of belt it is.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,378 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CrappyColon

Is it one that matches your pouch system? Any chance they put it on too tight? My ostomy nurse told me to wear it for 1 hr after I put it on to help get the sticky part to stick better/stay in place. For daily wear and depending on what I was wearing, I preferred using an ostomy wrap the nurse showed me on Amazon (I can find the link for it if you want) or if it wasn't hot out, someone suggested to me a maternity wrap (size down) from Target that is only around $15.

HenryM

I have complete confidence in my Hollister appliance and did away with wearing a belt years ago.  I do wear a wide support belt when I exercise, but that's it.  

xnine

I use Hollister products, and the belt is just decoration. Mostly, it gives a false sense of security. It would be helpful only with a very full bag. This rarely happens anymore.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Sunshinealot
Reply to CrappyColon

Could you give me the information about the one on Amazon, please? Thank you.