Uneven Skin Around Ileostomy: Concerns About Leakage

Replies
Views
Metal05

I noticed that the skin around my ileostomy is changing into uneven shapes (not sure if this is related to a bad diet). It's like a crater shape around the side of it, and I'm worried about it leaking.

AlexT

Do you use paste or a barrier ring to fill in the unevenness?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,427 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Metal05

I haven't used anything actually. I could probably try that. I forgot to mention it goes into a normal shape then into uneven.

w30bob

Hi Metal,

First off, if you aren't leaking now, why change anything? I'm not following you when you say it "goes into a normal shape then into uneven". You mean during the day you're getting drastic changes to the contour of your skin around your stoma? I think you need to explain that a bit more. Adding a ring to your barrier will raise the top of the barrier in relation to the outlet hole in your stoma. Depending on what your stoma looks like, and how far it sticks out, this could prevent a good seal, which would make matters worse. There's also the choice of convex vs flat, etc, but without more info I'm not going to make any suggestions. It's smart to anticipate any possible problems, but I wouldn't change anything until you know you have a problem. Barriers are designed to be somewhat flexible in the first place, and if you have a good seal around your stoma the barrier can't leak. Just some things to think about.

;O)

apatroy2023
Reply to w30bob

Hi w30bob.

What's the difference between convex and flat?

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT
Reply to apatroy2023

I'm not Bob but here's a convex bag... and then a flat bag....See the raised bump in the convex one?