Feedback on ConvaTec Natura Moldable Barrier?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
Seeking feedback and experiences with the ConvaTec Natura Moldable Barrier for ostomy care.
w30bob

Hi guys,

While my skin is good under my current Hollister barrier, I figure now's the time to try different products, not when my skin is red, weepy, and screaming. So I ordered some ConvaTec Natura samples with some Eakin seals and gave it a go this morning. The barrier is interesting, with the moldable inner portion that forms a 'turtleneck' around your stoma. Sounds like a good idea, but as usual, the proof will be in the pudding. They're obviously not for those with a flush stoma, but if yours protrudes I'm thinking this design might be promising. So let me know your experience with these barriers, good or bad.....if it works, and if not then what was the problem?

Thanks,

;o)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ben38

I was at the launch event in the UK for Convatec Moldable at Cheltenham. It must be around 10 years ago now. In over 30 years, it's the best seal I've ever had around my stoma. The adhesive just doesn't like my skin; they don't stick to me very well. Just the way it goes, products aren't right for all of us. The way Moldable works, you might not need to use Eakin seals. I would try without and see how it goes. I'm just surprised none of the other companies have made their own version yet, as Convatec's advertising at the time said "Moldable the way to go." Eakin seals do their job well but are the worst seal I've ever used to remove all the residue left on your skin. Other makes are far better quality and don't leave so much residue on the skin.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
w30bob

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply. They only sent me 2 Eakins and 3 barriers and bags, so I will be trying it without the Eakin. The flat part of the barrier itself didn't seem that flexible, which is why I rolled the Eakin flat and then used it, just for some added protection. I'm noticing the bandage adhesive isn't 100% all over, but we'll see how that goes. Got a long weekend here, so a good time to try something new without worrying about having a problem while at work or when out and about.

Thanks,

Bob

sj68

I have been using these for the past 10 years or so and never had an issue. I use the convex version.

JOEHEALTHCARE
Reply to sj68

Convatec is the best. They stick like crazy glue.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
jeanneskindle
Reply to w30bob

I am trying to Convatec a foldable or moldable barriers right now. One of the barriers did some weird stuff with the glue and was basically gooey and coming up on the bottom portion. This has been a day that I've been pretty hot and sweaty. After that, I went back to my regular Convatec with a hole cut out already. I love those, but I did like the moldable new ones. The next moldable one I used was horrible as far as getting the adhesive off. So what I'm noticing is inconsistency in the product. I have never had any issues with Convatec products before, so this is a little bit concerning. The bag is a different kind of bag with a Velcro kind of closure. I actually prefer the old style on that too. I applaud you for trying new things. I'm going to continue to try these since my provider sent me a bunch of them. Let us know how you do. Jeanne

jeanneskindle

Ooooooo. My 100th post! I'm so proud. I owe it all to the burger!

CrappyColon
Reply to jeanneskindle

Yesssssss

Although I think it will be at least 3 days in a row of cheeseburgers over the course of this weekend. I better not get tired of them, but with different people grilling each time, I think the flavor profile shifts enough.

CrappyColon

Is this a new or old type? I have so many different brands -‍

Cplumber

Been using that combo for 20 years. No issues. I get 7 to 14 days wear time.

iMacG5

Hey Bob, I think you'll love your decision. I often wonder how folks could be satisfied with anything different from the moldable technology. Good luck!

Mike

w30bob

Hi gang,

Mike......hold that thought! I was expecting wonderful things too from this combo....but it turned out to be an epic fail. Or at least the Eakin ring did. I really like the barrier technology, so I'm holding out hope for that, but the Eakin tore me up! It started feeling itchy under the barrier about an hour after I put it on, but I told myself it was my imagination. As the day wore on, I couldn't tell if it was under the Eakin ring or under the periphery of the barrier's bandage part...........so I gave it a second day to go away, but my skin was crawling and this morning I couldn't take it anymore, so off it came. Unlike many who have said it was hard getting the Eakin off.....mine came off pretty easily, and in one piece. Adhesion was good, no issues, but my skin was just having no part of it. After removing the whole ball of wax, it was obvious the skin only under the Eakin was what was driving me nuts. It's bright red and weepy, after only 2 days. I'm curious if anyone else is allergic to the Eakin, so I'll ask in another post.

I've gone back to my Hollister stuff for now to get my skin back to good condition, and then I'm going to try the ConvaTec again without the Eakin. I like the bag closure on the ConvaTec better than that on my Holly, and the attachment of the bag to the barrier is a bit more stout than the Holly's. So it's got some positive things going for it, just can't use it with the Eakin ring. That leaves me two things left to try, the barrier without any ring and the barrier with my Holly ADAPT ring. I probably don't need a ring, but I use one with my Holly setup because the ADAPT ring is the one thing I'm absolutely positive my skin has no issue with. So I flatten it out to cover as much area as possible to reduce the amount of adhesive my skin sees from the Holly barrier bandage part. So the testing will continue!

But I'm curious now as to what's in the Eakin, because if I can isolate it then I'll know what drives my skin nuts. May have to bring one to the lab at work for a chemical analysis. But overall this was a good learning experience. Even if I don't find something that works.........knowing for sure that something doesn't is also good info. Onward we go............

Everyone enjoy their Memorial Day here in the States...............and take a second to remember what it's for!

;O)

iMacG5
Reply to w30bob

So sorry about your experience, Bob. I think, after you completely heal, you'll be happily successful with the Convatec wafer without the Eaken seal. I think I also had a negative reaction to those seals and stopped using them after a week or so. Better luck this time!

Mike

Bonita38

My stoma is flush with my skin and sometimes it sinks. After trying several different pouching products, I switched to ConvaTec moldable and it has been a game changer for me! Majority of the time I can keep it on for the full 7 days instead of changing it 5-7 times a day!