Colostomy Surgery: Disposable Liners - Experiences?

Replies
Views
Lovewins12

Hello! I just had my surgery for colostomy this past Wednesday. The surgery went well and the surgeon said he removed all the cancer. Thank God!
When I met with the team to show me how to put it on, they mentioned disposable liners where you just pull the liner out and dispose of it. Just curious, has anyone used these and if so, how do you like them? Thanks all!!! Have a good weekend!

mild_mannered_super_hero

Congratulations on a successful operation. I used those liners many years ago and they worked fairly well. Most cancer patients qualify for a process called irrigation, this process flushes your colon out normally every other day and you don't have to wear a pouch anymore just a patch. I hope you will ask your care team about irrigation and consider trying it, it will give you back an active lifestyle and eliminate a lot of stress.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,471 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Congratulations. Getting cancer-free relieves a lot of anxiety.

Happytostillbehere

Good to hear they got all the cancer during surgery. Had the same experience with my surgery back in October last year, got all the cancer nothing spread. Like the previous reply, it was one hell of a relief. Other day had an eighth-month follow-up and still cancer-free. Can't help you on the disposable, been using a Hollister one-piece from the beginning and haven't had any problems at all with them. Life will get better. Take care.

CrappyColon

Yay for them getting all the cancer!!! Can't help with your question, but super happy for your news and hope your recovery is going well!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Axl

Excellent result, wish you all the best.

Audrey Warren

Regarding disposal liners, it depends on your output. I was interested but there are/is criteria. I think you need a two-piece bag and a predictable amount of output. Give yourself six months to see what pattern your body develops.
More research needed on your part.

Ask a WOC nurse. I have too much output.

And Coloplast one-piece Sensura Mio works fine.

Wonderful news about cancer-free.

Good luck and welcome to a better quality of life.