Ostomy Reversal Surgery: Recovery Tips Needed

Replies
Views
rjg19

I will be having my ostomy reversal surgery in September. I would appreciate any feedback on what to expect and recommendations on what would be good to do post-op that may be helpful during my recovery.

CrappyColon

What type of ostomy do you have now? What were your reasons for getting it? What have you been told by surgeons so far?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,621 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

rjg19

I have a colostomy. I got Covid and a day later I had a colon perforation with peritonitis. I had emergency surgery. Second day post-op, my incision opened up and I went home with a wound vac for several weeks. My surgeon said he will try to do the surgery laparoscopic, but it depends if there is a lot of scar tissue. It would be done as an open surgery.

Lorr

Best of luck with your reversal! I don't have any advice but will also be getting a reversal in the next few weeks and am interested in hearing what people have to say.

DexieB
Reply to rjg19

Hello, any update? How did the reversal go?

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
DexieB
Reply to Lorr

Hello - Just realizing you probably haven't had the reversal yet - but please update us when you can! I will be getting one in the future!

rjg19
Reply to DexieB

My reversal is scheduled for 9/11. The closer it gets to the surgery, the more nervous I am getting. Thanks for asking. How are you doing?

DexieB
Reply to rjg19

That's coming up fast! Yes, I understand being nervous... I also have a colostomy, had emergency surgery on May 28.... scared to think about reversal! I will be hoping all goes well for you. Keep us posted!

I'm doing okay, still recovering from surgery I think even though it's been 3 months now - I had sepsis and was in bad shape. Still trying to figure out the colostomy, what to eat, etc. My surgeon says 6 months will be too soon for reversal so I'm looking at a year probably before I can do it. I have a recheck on Oct 25 and will find out more info. Thanks for replying!

Justbreathe
Reply to DexieB

In terms of reversal, I was in a similar situation to what you describe - and anxiously awaited reversal (on my ileostomy).

My life journey threw me a curve ball and drastically changed the path I was on. Amazing how mentally flexible I became.

All good now though - but your post brought back those early days and the feeling I experienced when reversal was nearing- best wishes to you and please keep us posted of your progress. JB

DexieB
Reply to Justbreathe

Aww, thank you so much. I will keep you all posted :)

DexieB
Reply to rjg19

Hoping your reversal went well and you are recovering nicely. Update us when you can :)

DexieB
Reply to rjg19

Hello, I hope you are doing well after the reversal? Just found out mine is scheduled for January 30! Terrified and excited all at the same time. I sure hope all is well with you!

DexieB
Reply to Justbreathe

Hello. January 30th is my reversal date - it is sooner than expected! I have to remember to just breathe... You have a great username :)