Fiber Intake Limits for Ostomates

Replies
Views
Redondo

Two months ago, I started on a diet meal plan that incorporates eating 5 healthy snacks every 2-3 hours along with 1 lean and green meal. I lost 17 pounds doing this. I thought all was good until I ended up in the hospital with a partial small intestinal bowel blockage. The snacks that I ate have 4-5 grams of fiber in them. The daily meal consisted of lean chicken, fish, or beef along with 3 servings of greens. The night before the blockage, I ate a cup of cauliflower rice and 3 spears of broccoli for my greens. I was very close to having surgery. Fortunately, my system cleared itself on its own.

I have ileostomy due to Crohn's from 50 years ago. They removed my total large colon. The small colon was thankfully free of Crohn's and according to a scope I had done a few months ago is still free of it.

I realized that this was too much fiber for me but I don't know how to figure out what the limit is that I can have.

Does anyone know how much fiber is too much for ostomates?

Thanks for your help.

Connie

Mysterious Mose

Cauliflower and broccoli should be fine. Cooked, of course. I would think that the culprit for your blockage would be more likely under-chewed meat. Or are you eating a lot of insoluble fiber? That can do it. And you really do not need insoluble fiber without a colon.

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,630 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

The amount you can have is probably different than someone else. And if you changed your diet drastically to start that diet, that could drastically affect how your body handles the "new" foods.

TerryLT

I agree that it was probably due to under-chewed food, not fiber. I eat tons of fiber without issue. There are some things that simply don't break down enough, like pineapple, which I eat, but just spit out the bits that are really fibrous. Most other things can be chewed enough to become mush in your mouth, and should be fine no matter how much fiber is in them.

Terry

Justbreathe
Reply to TerryLT

Agreed Terry - I am able to eat everything (I do avoid lettuce- only because it looks shredded and clings inside the bag so I wonder if it's doing that inside) and I eat pineapple too but do as you do if it's fibrous.

Ostomate's mantra - is to chew, chew, chew the food

jb

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
gentlejohn

Fiber is usually good to a point. Make sure you chew well and drink plenty of fluids. Bowel obstructions are common. You can form a fiber bezoar that needs to be professionally removed.

almelia

Even 3 florets of cauliflower or broccoli can cause me a complete blockage. I ate 4 Brussels sprouts and ended up in ED on Christmas day - was in 4 days. But I can eat unlimited amounts of lettuce, spinach, scallions, onions raw or cooked. Am fine with berries and grapes too.

All I know is that we are all just so different in what our systems can handle!

Newbie Dana

Add new foods slowly, try for more soluble fiber instead of insoluble (oatmeal is good for that). The comment above is right, without a colon at all you don't need as much fiber. Have you considered consulting with a registered dietitian? When I was going through the whole hell of cancer treatments, a registered dietitian who worked closely with the oncology department helped me a lot. If you show them the diet you are currently rocking (woot - 17 pounds!), they can help you tweak it so you keep the benefits without the blockage.

terrizajdel

Hi Connie,

I'm in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I've only been an ostomate for 2 years. I have learned a lot but mostly on my own from the internet or YouTube videos of other ostomates. I do have a number for the Ostomy nurses but it's not the same as talking to someone who actually has one and none of my doctors know more about it than I do.

I was told never more than 2 grams of fiber per serving but I still had lots of digestive problems and pain. I only had blowouts or leaks from an overfull bag and that doesn't happen anymore.

I was just informed that after surviving 3 rounds with colon cancer I have 5 more areas in my body that are suspected colon cancer, 2 liver, 2 between the layers of fat in my lower abdomen and 1 in my lung. I decided drastic action is required and have become a full-time carnivore to kill the remaining cancer. I've lost 22 lbs in 4 months and have had zero digestive pain. I get bloodwork and a CT scan every 3 months to track the new growth so am hoping they shrivel up and die. I am very happy with the change from bloated and sore to no gas and no pain! The best bet is to eat everything cooked soft especially if you are not a good chewer and to listen to your own body. Best of luck.

Terri

Redondo
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I had salmon, which I don't have a problem chewing, and it was very soft. I didn't have cauliflower; it was cauliflower rice, which is very dense. I'm thinking that I am eating 20mg of fiber throughout the day on top of greens that I was having in the evening. I looked it up, soluble fiber, and broccoli is a soluble fiber, which I had 3 small florets. What I'm trying to figure out is how many grams of fiber I can eat. But like someone else here said, that it's probably different for everyone. Thank you for your input.

Redondo
Reply to terrizajdel

I'm so sorry about all of the cancer. I hope that has gone into remission too since you have become a carnivore. Congratulations on losing all of that weight too. I think I will have to have this type of diet as well. Are you following a special kind of diet like the Atkins diet?