Stoma Care in Hot Weather

Replies
Views
LJB222

Hi all, I met with my nurse yesterday who advised me to buy a little roll-on deodorant and use it around my stoma during the hot weather. Apparently, it helps the bag to stick and not come off as much during perspiration. I haven't tried it yet so I cannot vouch for it, but I thought I would share it anyways!

AlexT

"I sweat a lot during the summer months since I work outside, mow, take the dog to the lake, etc. I've yet to have any issue with heat/sweating affecting my bag sticking to me. I'd be leery of putting deodorant on my stoma skin and how well the bag would stick to that.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ben38

It's an old ostomy trick. It does work on most people. Hope it works for you.

LJB222

I'm nervous too, but to be fair, I don't perspire much. I'm always cold, haha!

LJB222
Reply to AlexT

I asked her, and she advised that it helps it stick more! :-)

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Beth22
Reply to LJB222

Because of what these ostomy nurses say and do... Just saying, unless they have one, we know more than they do. Just saying, be careful.

Ben38
Reply to LJB222

You have a very good and experienced nurse. She knows her trade very well.

My first nurse taught me it many years ago, probably before you were even born. Thanks for making me feel old. Lol if you ever need it, always use roll-on deodorant, not spray. That can cause problems.

Twomadogs

Thanks ljb222 for that tip.

I have trouble in summer with sweating and my bag losing adhesion so I'll be giving it a go.

It usually happens when I'm pottering in my garden. It gets a bit warm here in Aus sometimes.

Cheers, Ian.

LJB222
Reply to Twomadogs

I would try it and see! A little roll on and see how you go ;-)

ahynes111

I guess the thought here is that you won't perspire around the flange.?

Callie55

Thank you so much for sharing this tip. I've contacted all the ostomy suppliers about sweating and the bag releasing and not much help. I sweat a lot in the humidity working on gardening. Cannot wait to try this.