Is a Two-Piece Ostomy Pouch Shower-Proof?

Replies
Views
MoeMoe
Aug 11, 2023 6:06 pm

Hi everyone! I have skin irritation and am trying the two-piece pouch based on my nurse's suggestion. The wafer has a material feel to it that is unlike the one piece. Has anyone showered with the two-piece? I'm really new to this so thought I'd ask because I'm still scared to shower without a pouch.

Mysterious Mose
Aug 11, 2023 6:15 pm

I shower with the 2-piece all the time. No problems. I do use a blow dryer on low to dry things. Leaving the wafer wet is a recipe for irritation. At least, for me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,889 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SallyK
Aug 11, 2023 6:25 pm

I shower with a two-piece. 🚿

Justbreathe
Aug 11, 2023 7:06 pm

I have an ileostomy and it took me a while to shower without my pouch (a one piece). Many on this site said to "shower without it - it feels great!" I tried it and it was great! Makes my skin all clean and shiny and sometimes I think I hear my stoma singing in the shower ha, ha, ha. I change it every other day and shower without it. Mornings are best for me as Vesuvius (aka Seymour) is inactive first thing in the morning. Since starting this regimen, any of the skin issues I once had - disappeared. JB

Beachboy
Aug 11, 2023 7:57 pm

I shower all the time with a 2-piece. But have switched to showering.....naked. No wafer or bag. Allows easy cleaning of stoma with a wet paper towel. I'm real careful since stoma has no nerves. Don't want to press or rub too hard.
Back when I showered with the bag, I put on a new wafer and bag after showering.
Be careful of the soap you use. Some soaps will interfere with wafer adhesion. I use Irish Spring. Also, dry the stoma area thoroughly.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Beth22
Aug 12, 2023 12:11 am

Hi there,
I shower with my bag all the time and haven't had a problem. Whether I shower with my bag on or off, I always use Dial antibacterial soap. So my bag won't lift, and when it's off, my bag will stay on. I am sure you know, but just make sure your soap doesn't have moisturizers, lotions, perfumes, and fragrance in it so it doesn't mess with your seal.

feelingood
Aug 12, 2023 12:14 am

I never shower with my pouch on. Yes, occasionally I do leak but what the heck, the water goes to the same place as the toilet water.

MoeMoe
Aug 12, 2023 12:35 pm

Yep, I'm still using the Dial antibacterial soap they recommended after surgery so I will definitely continue to use that, thanks for that tip. I hope one day I'll have the courage to shower without the bag, just not today. LOL Thanks, friends!!

IGGIE
Aug 12, 2023 2:00 pm

I shower with it all off, feels great and the skin loves it, but as I leave the shower I put on a shower cap I made so it doesn't leak onto the bathroom floor if it erupts. I fit my belt to the loops and when I am dry fit a new set up

AlexT
Aug 12, 2023 5:43 pm

The best thing you could do for your irritated skin is shower without a bag on and let your stoma skin area get some air.

feelingood
Aug 12, 2023 7:25 pm
Reply to AlexT

I totally agree with this statement. It feels good and you don't have to be concerned with water affecting the seal around the stoma. Also, I have a protruding stoma so I wrap a 4x4 gauze pad around the stoma to avoid getting moisture or the sticky junk, "(mucus)", on the skin where the adhesive has to stick. Being totally dry is key to adhesion for me.

feelingood
Aug 12, 2023 7:27 pm
Reply to IGGIE

Ok "mate," let's see some pictures of the procedure to make this. Very, bloody cool! Lol

MoeMoe
Aug 13, 2023 1:01 pm
Reply to IGGIE

This is amazing, you are so innovative!

IGGIE
Aug 13, 2023 4:09 pm
Reply to feelingood

The ring is off a Hollister bag, just cut the bag away from the ring then find a plastic container the same diameter and glue them together. The Hollister belt then fits to it

Justbreathe
Aug 13, 2023 4:27 pm
Reply to IGGIE

Brilliant Iggie - great share. Thanks!

feelingood
Aug 18, 2023 11:50 pm
Reply to Beachboy

I'm a bit confused. I was told by my surgeon to only use soap without any oils or moisturizers like Dial. I use Ivory at this time but have steered away from any soap that can't say it has no oils or additives that would interfere with the adhesion of my pouch.

Beachboy
Aug 19, 2023 4:11 am

Your surgeon is correct. And the additives you mentioned can interfere with wafer adhesion. I rinse the area around my stoma very well after using soap. I have a colostomy, with output that is usually not watery. Have not had any problems with adhesion or leaks. I use barrier film before installing the wafer. I'm going to try Dial antibacterial soap next.

Justbreathe
Aug 19, 2023 11:39 am

More and more - I'd like to add to this comment that I NEVER soap up my stoma itself. I only apply soap to my skin around the stoma…after all, I am quite sure my small intestines never saw any soap when it was in its proper place…maybe because I never had to wash my mouth out with soap as a youth! Just sayin'. 😇. JB