Post-Colostomy Constipation Issues: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
Rocky09
Oct 14, 2023 11:27 pm

I am 3 months post-colostomy surgery and having constipation issues. I've taken Miralax for 4 days with minimal relief. I'm drinking lots of fluids but feel bloated. Any advice?

Peace be with you

IGGIE
Oct 15, 2023 3:34 am

Check with your stoma nurse or doctor. It could be a blockage.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Beachboy
Oct 15, 2023 3:50 am

At 3 months, you're still healing. Like Iggy advised, see your doctor or stoma nurse. Don't wait too long. Blockages can become very painful.

AlexT
Oct 15, 2023 3:11 pm

My advice... get ready for a bunch of output once it starts coming out. As long as you're getting some output, you're not fully blocked. Keep pushing fluids.

Mysterious Mose
Oct 15, 2023 3:54 pm

Same as Iggy, Beachboy, and Alex. Drink lots of fluids. However, do not hesitate to call your surgeon or ostomy nurse, especially if you are getting no output. Usually, things will open up in time, but talking to your medical support team can help determine whether or not it is something to worry about. It can also help put your mind at ease, which is very important after this major change in your life. You have come to the right place for moral support and advice on living with an ostomy. However, medical issues should always be followed up with your surgeon or doctor. :-)

Daniel

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Beachboy
Oct 15, 2023 4:22 pm

I can go 2 days... nothing. Then in one hour, I have to empty the bag 3 times. Like AlexT says... get ready.

When it rains, it pours.

Rocky09
Oct 15, 2023 7:06 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thank you so much for your encouragement. That helps a lot.

nancy.i.schulte
Oct 16, 2023 12:59 pm

My husband has had the same issues off and on through the years. His doctor recently suggested eating kiwi, and that has been helpful.