Why is Effluent Coming Out of a Second Area on My Husband's Stoma?

Replies
Views
Hockeycards
Nov 20, 2023 10:12 am

Hello from Hockey cards;

Looking for help. My husband had a temp ileostomy installed April 22, 2023, following leakage at the anastomosis site from emergency cancer bowel surgery.

He was told all the cancer was removed; however, in Aug, some spots were discovered on the liver. He started chemo in Sept and will continue the series till Dec, at which time it will be reviewed.

He has been promised a reversal.

I need some help with the stoma, which now has effluent coming out of the top left around the 11 o'clock area.

Do I take him to the doctor now? Will the new stoma opening enlarge?

The stoma has clean, intact skin encircling it, and the flange fits well for now.

Could someone please share their experiences or thoughts regarding this strange development?

Axl
Nov 20, 2023 11:28 am

Hello

Do you know if it is a "loop" or "end" ileostomy?

If it is a "loop," which a temporary ileo would be, it does in fact have two openings. If you google loop ileostomy, you will see a diagram with two openings. If you have any doubt, see your stoma nurse. I wasn't aware of the two openings until the stoma nurse pointed it out to me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

IGGIE
Nov 20, 2023 12:11 pm

Get to the doctor and find out what's going on.

CrappyColon
Nov 20, 2023 2:50 pm

As the above or below (I forget how it orders the messages before mine), if it's not a loop ileostomy, you'll want to call the doctor.