Shower or Bath? Experiences with Ileostomy

Replies
Views
Past Member
Nov 24, 2023 10:30 pm

As a recent 12-week newbie to ileostomy life, I was told no baths, just showers.

Does anyone bathe? And also, does anyone shower bag-free?

morrisondave7
Nov 24, 2023 10:39 pm

Hi Nikki,

I've done both, bathed with the bag on, and this is okay as the backplates do not come unstuck. I also shower without a bag, which feels so good 😁

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Nov 24, 2023 10:41 pm
Reply to morrisondave7

Thanks. I was always worried about showering without a bag.

Morning glory
Nov 24, 2023 11:24 pm

You can do both.

Ben38
Nov 25, 2023 12:33 am

Whichever you like, they would have just said don't have a bath while your wound was healing. If that's healed now, baths are okay. Thirty odd years ago, when I first had mine, they encouraged me to have baths. They said then it was the best way to clean a wound, but advice has changed over the years. I love a long, relaxing, hot soak in the bath in this cold weather. I don't shower bag-free anymore, but there's nothing to stop you. It won't harm the stoma, and you can use any shower gels/soaps. Just make sure you rinse the skin well around the stoma to ensure there are no problems getting the bag to stick.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Play
Axl
Nov 25, 2023 12:35 am

Hot tub/spa with bag as well.

Beachboy
Nov 25, 2023 1:25 am

I shower without wafer or bag. Great way to clean stoma quickly with a wet paper towel. I use Cetaphil soap. Leaves no residue to interfere with wafer adhesion. I shower in the early morning when my system is dormant, so no output.

tmn68
Nov 25, 2023 4:13 am
Reply to Anonymous

I have also done both with no negative results. I definitely wouldn't want to take a bath without my pouch.

Mysterious Mose
Nov 25, 2023 6:35 pm

I shower both with and without the bag. I have not been a bath person since about the age of 10 or 12. But if I was, I would take a bath with the pouch on. Especially with my ileostomy. With a shower, any seepage can go down the drain immediately rather than floating around for me to contemplate. :-))

Daniel

AlexT
Nov 25, 2023 7:54 pm

Either or, no issues any which way you want to go about it.

almelia
Nov 25, 2023 9:16 pm

I have tried showering without a bag, but my ileo is too badly behaved! As regards the bath, definitely no problems. I was in the swimming pool at 4 weeks and had my first trial scuba dive at 5 weeks. This was something that would have been a peritonitis risk for me before my ileostomy.

kennybob94zz
Nov 26, 2023 5:48 am

Hang in there.

MelissaJeanne
Nov 26, 2023 12:25 pm
Reply to Anonymous

I was told I could shower with or without the bag. It took me two months to get the courage to shower; until then, I did sponge baths. I tried a shower with the bag on and was concerned that it would leak. The outer part of my brand is the cloth like you see in flexible band-aids. Right after the shower, I changed the bag. The glue held, but I found it easier to peel off, so I remain concerned. Now I just put a new bag on after I take a shower. That would be an issue if you want daily showers, but every few days works for me, sponge bathing in between.

moonshine
Nov 26, 2023 12:56 pm
Reply to Anonymous

Once a week when I change my bag appliance, I do shower without the bag. I live in AZ, so the climate is dry. However, when I lived in Chicago, where it is humid, I would bag swap twice a week. I have had my ileostomy since October of 2010. I also swim with the bag. The glue products are great. Find a routine that works for you. Also, look at the website Ostomy Secrets - great wraps and covers for personal or intimate moments. I agree with the ostomate that suggested showering early when stoma output is at a minimum. I adhere to no water, no coffee, no food before the shower, as that stimulates peristaltic waves of digestion and stoma output activity.

Monsieur Le President
Nov 26, 2023 3:53 pm

You can bathe, swim in the pool and ocean, dive, and do all the things you could do before.

I use the shower as normal with my bag on but find that it is most convenient to change the bag in the shower.

Just back from a holiday in Jamaica where we spent many happy hours on the beach and in the sea.

I will soon be 50 years an ileostomist.

rlevineia
Nov 26, 2023 4:12 pm
Reply to MelissaJeanne

I shower more often as I'm an outdoors person. A good sealing bag allows my wafer to stay in place. Tried without a wafer and my little buddy barks every time I try to make it to the supplies. Poop city.

Tink22
Nov 26, 2023 5:56 pm

I shower every day, but twice a week I shower (free) of anything. It is the best feeling!!! My skin and Stella enjoy the freedom.

I also shower in the morning before taking in any liquid or food.

No worries, you'll get the hang of it!!😀

Greyybeard
Nov 26, 2023 8:47 pm
Reply to almelia

Showering without a bag is part of my change routine.

But I won't eat within 8, preferably 12, hours before the shower/change so the stoma won't be busy.

moxieproject
Nov 27, 2023 4:28 am
Reply to morrisondave7

Absolutely to both… baths with the bag on, and when I do a full change (I wear a two-piece), I take a naked shower, and it's so nice to get to clean the skin around my ostomy! Good luck!!

Grandpa Sam
Nov 27, 2023 8:16 am

Yes, I have two stomas: an ileostomy and a colostomy. I always shower bag-free. It's usually not a problem.
Best wishes to you.
Sam x

SpaceCowgirl
Nov 27, 2023 7:12 pm

Oh yeah, I love baths. I take them very hot. I was nervous about hot tubs, but I do that also, no issues! Just as regular bag maintenance goes, if it's due for a change, you may find it peeling off more in the tub than a fresh one. In that case, I sometimes just take a piece of masking tape and keep it on until I'm done bathing. I cover the carbon filter exhaust port too; my Coloplast bags come with them, but that's it. Enjoy your baths!!!

Oldbag
Nov 29, 2023 8:37 pm
Reply to Anonymous

I see no reason not to use the tub with a bag on, off might be risky seeing how output can happen at any moment, not so pleasant. Shower on the other hand, no problem. I shower without and it always feels so good to clean the skin around the stoma. Happy bathing.

ruthsnyder2016
Dec 05, 2023 6:09 pm

I shower only, and take my bag off, it feels good.

Kas
Dec 11, 2023 12:50 am
Reply to morrisondave7

Same

Itsme58
Dec 13, 2023 4:36 pm

Shower, bag on or off, for safety reasons, I redid my bathroom with a walk-in shower.

Mark1
Dec 18, 2023 12:00 am

Hi Nicki, I shower all the time. I tend to fill my bag within an hour of waking up to keep things clean. It's all a learning curve. I'm a newbie to this as well. Let's share our worries together. Lol.

bag-changer
Dec 23, 2023 4:17 am
Reply to Itsme58

I'm having a walk-in shower installed in January. I'm really relieved to hear that bags will stick, even with soap/gel and water. It will be heaven to have a shower. For nine months it's just been strip-washes and soaking my feet in a bowl!

AlexT
Dec 23, 2023 4:33 pm
Reply to bag-changer

Enjoy, take the bag off, lather up, rinse well... feels great.