Drinking CocaCola or any fizzy drink?

Replies
Views
alex9

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, so wanted to ask a question and hopefully get some answers. I wanted to know if any of you drink fizzy drinks such as Coca Cola or any other of the type and do you have any problems with it? I have a colostomy bag and I am craving CocaCola, but I don't know if I should drink it. Thanks in advance :) cheers

Morning glory

I drink them with no problems  at all. I know others on here that drink them as well. I like diet coke the best.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

warrior

dont do it right now.. avoid carbonated drinks untill u can experiment how it affects ya.

why? gas. ballooning. pop.

just wait. adjust. u will. says Yoda.

and... as a side note.. i heard Coke was used to degrease truck engines.  imagine that? .

Justbreathe

Try a bit on a day you will be sticking around home….what could it possibly hurt - moderation is important- think you’d have to drink a 6 pack all at once to blow up a bag !

SeanB

As others have said take it slow and try it out. I drink carbonated beverages like coke and ginger ale. I do think I need to burp my bag more often - maybe. It’s hard for me to say if I do burp it more when I drink a coke or not but so far that is the worst outcome I have experienced. Good luck.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
AlexT

No issues drinking carbonated drinks for me. 

Beachboy

I have a permanent colostomy.  Use a 2 piece Holluster system.

I drink carbonated beverages occasionally.  Usually a rootbeer or Perrier water.  No problem.  Excess bag gas gets easily burped out.  I just gotta make sure the wife isn't near by....

Mysterious Mose

Drinking carbonated beverages is not a problem, except for the gas. But, I am sure that the concept of burping your bag came from a beer drinking ostomate. 🤪

Daniel

Ben38

I'm a coca cola addict just drunk a 2 litre bottle today no problems or gas....just try 1 can when your at home it's the only way your ever going to find out if it's right for you 

infinitycastle52777

I don't know that there are ill effects from drinking fizzy drinks. I think, or I understand, the only reasons to avoid it is that the fizz will make your stoma fart more. I suppose you could have some intestinal discomfort from trapped air, but I don't think it is life threatening or anything. 

Lee

AlexT

Makes me burp loud and then I get that dreaded Elmo stare…..

Beachboy

I had the "noisy" stoma yesterday.  Talking with folks at a Christmas dinner and my stoma is blaring away like a stuck fog horn.

I tried not to laugh.  It was real noticeable.  I just patted the bulge in my shirt and said "down boy."  Then had another slice of chocolate cake.  Burp.....

warrior

pop pop fizz fizz. there goes my bag again🎵🎶🤦‍♂️

HarryD

I have an Ileostomy (3 months ago) and drink 1 Diet Dr. Pepper and 1 Diet A&W Root beer everyday with no problems, it helps my mental health and I look forward to them every day.

Beachboy
Reply to HarryD

Love that A&W root beer.  For many years, there was an A&W fast food restaurant near my work.   Had an old fashioned barrel in the the dining room with a tap on it.  Inside the barrel was a chiller unit. 

We would buy unlimted refill root beer.  They gave us a glass mug, not plastic.  Lovely, super cold root beer flowed from that tap!  So cold, your glass iced up, and the top layer of root beer iced up too.  That first long swill was.... awesome. 

Just enjoyed a root beer float last week. 

Danno

I have an ileostomy and I drink tons of fizzy drinks. I’m addicted to bubly and drink like 3 a day. Plus I love beer. No issues here. 

Past Member
Reply to warrior

We probably shouldn't but I do haha. I drink coke and lemonade 😊😊

Percy
Reply to Beachboy

I miss that A&w root beer from the barrel! 

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Percy

Personally, I miss vanilla phosphates at the corner drugstore. And there I have dated myself again. :-)

Daniel

Mom2Sons

I drink soda of different flavors and no issues. No issues with beer either. 

warrior
Reply to Mysterious Mose

im visualizing...a horse...a buggy.. candle lit streets?  ( jk) dan.

warrior chuckles.

KMartin84

It's great to read so many people have little or no issue with carbonated drinks. I'm getting an ileostomy soon.

FYI, ICEE coke doesn't have carbonation.  However, the 'frozen coke' at McDonald's and Burger King does. I've been sensitive to carbonation due to crohn's so I've only been having ICEE cokes. 

repogirl2

Hi!!!

I have a colostomy and drink Coca-Cola all the time,  and have no problems, thankfully! 

I am not a good example though as I drink coffee, Coca-Cola and water, have to stay hydrated... 

This is definitely a learning process...

Trial and error.....

I eat pretty much whatever I want and see what happens ;)

Past Member

I have an Ileostomy. I am okay drinking Diet Pepsi, but for some reason Diet Coca-Cola gives me severe wind.