Surgery Prep with ileostomy

Replies
Views
Ileoc

I'm having hernia repair surgery in January and the surgeon's office has given me the standard prep instructions with laxative and enema.  I told them that I have no large intestine but the PA said the prep should be the same.  I disagree and was hoping that someone who has had surgery after an existing ileostomy can tell me what prep they used.  Thanks!

AlexT

What do you disagree about? Seems logical to me to have your insides all cleaned out before surgery.  I guess the enema part is kinda confusing since there shouldn’t be anything in that area anyway. Did they prescribe the magnesium citrate to clean your system out? 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ileoc
Reply to AlexT

Doing enemas and laxatives when I don't have a large intestine is unnecessary.  If I don't eat anything and drink clear fluids the day before, my small intestine will be empty as my transit time for food to go through me is 4-5 hours.  The prep will only dehydrate me.

AlexT
Reply to Ileoc

Ok. However, not everything comes out each time. A person may think it does but little bits will still be in there. So, they give you the stuff to finish cleaning you out. Just like a colonoscopy. You won’t get dehydrated in that short amount of time, it’s not like you’re cleaning yourself out a week in advance. 

Ben38

Can only speak from my own experience and what I've been told it's dangerous to take prep with an ileostomy as you will dehydrate very quick you should be in hospital if taken on a saline drip. I've had lots of surgery and never needed to take it as you say  4 -5 hours without food and can usually drink water until 2 hours before surgery......I would double check and ask them to speak to your surgeon.....they quite often don't look at your notes properly and giving advice out for a colostomy instead of ileostomy which is very wrong as in this case it makes a big difference in our care and treatment. 

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Ileoc
Reply to Ben38

Thanks, I agree.  I've contacted my surgeon's PA and asked her to plead my case with the surgeon.  Fingers crossed!!

Axl

Definitely not, the same happened to me for a stoma redo. You have been given the generic form prior to surgery. My surgeon confirmed this was an error at the time, there is no prep needed other than the usual fasting.

warrior

ooh hot topic. u stand firm

ilioc.

like axl said. don't be a victim of their ignorance. stupid "professionals". 

THEY DONT READ YOUR FILE AND APPROACH YOU NOT KNOWING YOU AT ALL.

warrior
Reply to Ileoc

screw that PA. talk directly above her. tell surgeon abt PA's stupidity and how anxious and apprehensive that PA made u feel.

go to the horse's mouth. not the horses ass..😋 

That's how I roll. Leave a stink bomb..and advocate for yourself firmly..

Beth22

Same with me speaking from experience I don't have a large intestine either and I didn't have to do any prep . It was clear liquids  day before surgery and nothing after midnight 

CrappyColon

With no colon, I was the same as Beth… clear liquids day before surgery… nothing to eat/drink after midnight. Good call on contacting surgeon’s PA. You’re your own best advocate.