Shower

Replies
Views
Mistymorn

How do you keep your pouch dry when showering? I tried shower cap but it falls off. I have heard if wrapping in cling wrap. Does it work and how do you do it?

Justbreathe

Don’t waste your time and money wrapping it - just jump in that shower or bath with the bag on - it won’t hurt a thing.  I spent many a wasted day and tons of Saran Wrap until I read on this site - NOT NECESSARY- and they were all right.  After I learned this Saran stock plummeted! 😂jb

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Axl

Shower .. pat dry .. hair dryer .. get out of there, fast and efficient ... or shower with bag off..

Itsme58

I get my bag wet doesn’t hurt it. I also take the showerhead and rinse my bag out in the shower because I have a bathroom sink that has a spray nozzle on it and a spray water in my bag empty in the toilet and I just get a little cleaner when I go in the shower. All I do is tell dry it off and they do have Covers that you can the ones that you use for swimming or hot tub or whatever when you put a cover in it they’re waterproof and you can use those but I don’t see a point in it every time I go in the bathroom I rinse my bag because I just can’t be stinky  it’s probably nice light denial even though I’ve accepted my stone is permanent no I keep it really clean. I don’t have a bathtub so I don’t take bath I just showers. Please find it getting wet. Don’t hurt it because it’s plastic and Velcro always have a good day. 

Rose Bud 🌹

I used to use a shower guard i got off amazon and it still would get wet...As people said already just shower with it on...put your back towards the shower head untill you need to turn around and just blow dry your bag and wavier tape...or if your stoma isn't active at the moment if im in a hurry blow dry your wafer and change the bag IF you have a 2 piece...and make sure you don't heat it too much just enough to dry it.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
AlexT

Cling wrap is worthless. You wanna keep your bag dry?…..take it off, shower, dry well, put fresh new bag on. Or, if it’s not bag change day…shower, dry yourself off, wrap bag loosely in towel and let the towel absorb the water, blow dry with hairdryer if you want. 

Justbreathe

Exactamundo, exactamente, exactly !  Remove that bag and enjoy your shower or if the bag has a few days left on it - jump in the shower wash it off with soap, rinse it off and tap dry - the tape will hold (in pool for an hour dancing and it holds up to that) and if you don’t dry it, it will dry soon - especially in summertime - I am not sure about cold - I left the frozen tundra back in 73’ - but hair dryer sounds like a good plan….jb

eefyjig

If you have a morning where you really don't want to shower with your bag off because your stoma is active and/or you want to keep your bag dry because you don't want or have the time to dry it properly before starting your day, you can use Cling Free wrap and tape the edges down. The only downside is that you have to move less in order to not disturb the tape and that's not the most relaxing way to shower but it does work in a pinch.

Heppy8

I just bought a shower proof bag cover off ebay. Not totally water proof but helps.

IGGIE

After a shower just sandwich the bag between the towel, and it will be dry before you put your clothes on. Regards IGGIE

Hisbiscus

Press and seal with a waterproof tape like hytape but you have to tape it just right. Sometimes overlap another layer of tape at the edges. It's quite expensive to do on a daily basis but I will do this once in a while. If you can get your insurance to pay for the hytape by asking your doctor to write a prescription to your medical supply company. I can't shower with mine on without ruining my seal. I guess the soap, shampoo and conditioner gets on it.